Why become a member? ×

Other Fenders (Jaguars, Mustangs etc)

Jacqueslemac

• 2 weeks later...

[attachment=102775:CIMG0045.JPG][quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1330598634' post='1559929']
There doesn't appear to be a thread for these, so I thought I'd start one.

My recently-acquired Jaguar:

And one of it with my Aerodyne (okay, so it's a Jazz...):

[/quote]Hey Buddy,
I bought one of those jap jag basses when they first came out, super cool looks and a great player but I didn't need active circuitry and all the switching options, I realised I wanted something more simple like a p-bass but with the aesthetics of a jazzmaster guitar.
Anyway after many years dreaming about such a creation I persuaded a good friend to help me build this...

Hey, man! I counted two knobs and six switches, so this is a synth thread - not a bass thread!

Anyway, great looker if I ever saw one amongst the elderly.
Can you tell anything about how it plays compared to the J, and how it sounds? If this is well-known stuff to others, please give me a hint and I'll trawl the web.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

When I bought mine secondhand I wrote to Fender and they kindly sent me the manual!

The two "normal" knobs are volume and tone. The three on the lower horn are on/off for the two pickups and series/parallel for them.

The switch on the top horn is active/passive and the two rollers are bass and treble boost.

Easy, eh?

It's made in Japan, so the neck is smooth and fast. The edges are rolled and the action is very low, so it's very comfortable to play if Jazz necks are your thing.

I gigged it last night for the first time and felt the sound was perhaps too warm (a bit less defined than I'd like). I swapped to my Corvette Standard for the second half. It's a passive one so I had to turn the volume on the amp up quite a bit, so obviously the Jag puts out quite a punch. I asked a semi-pro bassist I really respect what he thought and he told me he really liked the tone, so perhaps it was better out there than on stage. He also told me he likes it when he can hear the bass over the guitars, so it can't have been as muddy as I feared!

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1332021083' post='1582325']
When I bought mine secondhand I wrote to Fender and they kindly sent me the manual!

The two "normal" knobs are volume and tone. The three on the lower horn are on/off for the two pickups and series/parallel for them.

The switch on the top horn is active/passive and the two rollers are bass and treble boost.

Easy, eh?

It's made in Japan, so the neck is smooth and fast. The edges are rolled and the action is very low, so it's very comfortable to play if Jazz necks are your thing.

I gigged it last night for the first time and felt the sound was perhaps too warm (a bit less defined than I'd like). I swapped to my Corvette Standard for the second half. It's a passive one so I had to turn the volume on the amp up quite a bit, so obviously the Jag puts out quite a punch. I asked a semi-pro bassist I really respect what he thought and he told me he really liked the tone, so perhaps it was better out there than on stage. He also told me he likes it when he can hear the bass over the guitars, so it can't have been as muddy as I feared!
[/quote] Yeah it's easy, just way more than I needed! A great lookin' and playing bass! Fender Japan stuff is excellent and all for a very fair price. Glad it worked out for you.
All the best, gaz

• 1 month later...

Hi, nice basses!

Just thought i'd share this... Have always fancied a Jag bass but there was always something putting me off whenever I tried one of them. Spotted one of the Modern Player Jags a couple of weeks ago and decided to take the plunge, really wasn't a fan of the white scratchplate so I got a B/W/B one made up by The Bass Doc and I think it looks pretty smart now.

Kevin

Edit: now with attachment, attached.

Edited by firmo

• 2 months later...

Not mine anymore...

1978 Fender Musicmaster

And this is... how I got it:

(routed all the way through, every hole was filled with a resin-like substance, logo scratched of the headstock with a chisel, no tuners,... Was it worth it to restore it? probably not, as this thing isn't really worth much, but the satisfaction of saving this thing that was destined to end in the dustbin: priceless!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='MrFingers' timestamp='1342734357' post='1740337']

(routed all the way through, every hole was filled with a resin-like substance, logo scratched of the headstock with a chisel, no tuners,... Was it worth it to restore it? probably not, as this thing isn't really worth much, but the satisfaction of saving this thing that was destined to end in the dustbin: priceless!
[/quote]

Routed all the way through??? Brilliant, who, or why, do people do such things? Congrats on saving a perfectly decent bass, great job....as always!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355530463' post='1899779']
Does this count? Always wanted one to match my '58 P, love it, they're actually much smaller than I thought, cute little tweed case too;

[/quote] there's a saying about showing off when you're under endowed....

(PS rick this isn't a PM :P )