Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on multi effects pedals..

Rusco

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Hi all, I’m going to take my first steps into the world of effects and have been looking at relatively cheap multi effects pedals such as [/color][/size][/font][url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/digitech-bp200/1583"][color=windowtext][font="Calibri"][size="3"]Digitech BP200[/size][/font][/color][/url][size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"] to try out. [/font][/color][/size]
[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"] [/color][/size][/font]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]I can’t say I understand what all the effects names do so my thinking is cover as many as possible, knowing there will be compromises, and try out. I tend to play pop / rock type music and like the Muse sound.[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]What is the general thought on multi effects ?, any recommendations in the lower / just starting end of the market ?[/font][/color][/size]
[size="3"][color="#000000"][font="Calibri"]Thanks... R[/font][/color][/size]

I recently bought my first multi fx pedal, a Zoom B3, since the first Zoom bass one (506 bass). I have separate pedals too.
The B3 is great for trying out different types of fx without spending a fortune.
My plan is if I use, say an auto wah, consistently for a while I'll go and buy a dedicated one.

The B3 will also be my DI box if needed too.

There's a great ART BCC (bass control centre) on sale here on the forum! Being sold by Eude, it's a great bit of kit. If I didnt already have my Boss ME-20b, I'd be on it!

Multi fx are a great way to explore various effects and see how they can work for without spending too much cash. Most multi fx units have as many adjustable parameters as on single units so can be really quite versatile.

Definitely cheaper and easier (don't need to buy loads of patch leads, noise suppressors, power supplies) than experimenting with single units.

Anyway, Muse tone is possible with a decent fuzz. There's a couple of threads on this forum about it, do a search (top right hand corner) an see what it turns up!

Truckstop

I would recommend the Zoom B3 also .. I had a pile of individual pedals IMO the tone is 90% there .. but the control and flexibility is 200% there. For a covers band it is all I need (unless I ever need to use more than three effects simultaneously one the same song) For £150 (i.e. the price of one decent pedal) you get 99 to play with. The distortions are particularly decent as are the chorus effects .. for the "muse sound" I have found a bit of compression into two big muffs is a good start .. there might be better ones but it's not a tone I need very often .. I belted out hysteria during a sound check through a loud club PA a few weeks ago and it sounded HUGE!

• 3 weeks later...

Probably a bit late with this reply but thought i would add my little bit.
I have used Roland 6B m/fx pedal for few yrs now based on what most people think - get one and see what you like - cheaper option.

I tend to use a touch of comp mostly. Occasionally use the Ampeg SVT setting for Glenn Hughes sound with a touch of reverb.

What i do like about them is the fact i can waste many an hour experimenting at home just for enjoyment and when i have a song that needs something a little extra i have a better understanding of the unit and what to look for.
I've spoken with other bassists who think similarly but opted for the Boss ME unit which is cheaper.

Both these units can be picked up fairly decent prices on BC or ebay.

Saved me a lot of money buying seperates.

Dave

I have a BP80 which I have used - it's got a lot of different units. But the presets that come with it are IMO just trying to show off the unit. So I have started to tweak them to something that suits my purpose. The thing I don;t like is the bypass mode - sometimes rather than actually pressing both switches at the same time I'm a bit off and find that I've just changed the FX to another setting - which can be at best inconvenient and a din at worst. I have it also as a DI/Amp modeller in case my rig goes awry - I could go straight into the PA with it.

I have just got a Source Audio Bass Envelope Filter - which has a pukka switch - and adds some sounds that the BP80 doesn't have. When I have the money then I would gradually replace the BP80 with a) Chorus B) Distortion c) Reverb/Delay d) Octave - probably in that sequence. And at present I fancy the TC Electronic Corona, the Source Audio Bass Multiwave Distortion Pro but not sure about the others. But for the time being the BP80 can do that.

In the study/woodshed I am spoiled by mainly using Ampltiube SVX or Pod Farm and Presonus FireBox interface to the laptop where there are lots of things to twiddle about.