Why become a member? ×

When did someone put a big notice on BC saying 'Sell Here'?

warwickhunt

[quote name='tauzero' post='172887' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:00 AM']I actually found BC because I was googling something that was on ebay for information and found a for sale advert on BC featuring the same product (but not the same actual item), so the classifieds do have a role to play in attracting new members.[/quote]

Yeh, I found it in the same way. I didn't think I needed to post in introductions, i've never done that on other forums, I didn't realise it would seem rude! Maybe it only seems rude if I put a for sale ad up in the first week? Doesn't that sound a bit silly?

Anyway, yeh, we've had this discussion loads of times and it seems like we don't really have a problem. People who want stricter controls or rules are placing too much responsibility on the mods.

[quote name='tauzero' post='172887' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:00 AM']I think the best idea would be a follow-up post to unintroduced sellers asking them to post in introductions.[/quote]

A sound idea.

Maybe I am looking at this from an isolated point, as in; I have a mature approach to introducing myself when I meet people and it's possibly a dying 'art' :)

I also have a natural tendency to want to ensure that I fit within any given congress which again not everyone does. So I willingly concede that maybe I am more concerned than some about how we conduct ourselves but I don't believe that makes me wrong, even if I'm in the minority. I know my job kind of predisposes of me in this respect but doesn't anyone else feel the desire to educate even in a small way when a situation such as this arises?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='172901' date='Apr 9 2008, 10:16 AM']People who want stricter controls or rules are placing too much responsibility on the mods.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying the mods should chase every newbie up demanding that they post an introduction but it can't be too difficult (says he with no idea about the machinations of the substructures of web forums) to set it up so that when you join you fill in a basic profile so that we get a rough idea of who and what people are about!

I don't want the mods to have to do anything more than they do, I appreciate the time that they spend on the running of the site as it is but surely setting something up 'might' actually save them time and grief in the future?

the kinda rules that could be implemented on the forum would not be of any extra difficulty as far as moderting goes at all, in fact i'd do it if needs be, iv ran several forums, none of which got above 1000 members before i gave up on them :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172741' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:50 PM']This f*ckin society of ours is turning into me me me.[/quote]

Interestingly...your relatively short post contains:

One 'my'
One 'myself'
Eight 'I'
and two 'me'. That doesn't count the three 'me' in the quote above.

So you must be correct :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172878' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:41 AM']Can I point out that I have no objection 'per se' with someone popping on here giving a minimum of information to establish who they are, selling then bogging off.[/quote]

It could be worse. You could find that someone joins the forum, doesn't play bass, has nothing to sell, spouts drivel constantly and then won't bog off :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='173703' date='Apr 10 2008, 09:49 AM']Ahhhh but we like drink laden floosiees......![/quote]

;)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='173720' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:07 AM']+1[/quote]

;) :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='173716' date='Apr 10 2008, 10:04 AM']Ahhhh but we also like laying drunken floosies too......![/quote]

;) :D ;)

My name is Terri and I am a good girl

Please do not confuse me with my evil twin Mrs Tinman :)

I am unable to either control or bear any responsibility for things that she may have posted in order for you to come to the conclusion that she is a floosie of the drunk laden variety :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172316' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:21 PM']When did someone put a big notice on BC saying 'Sell Here'?
This has been aired any amount of times BUT... Is it just me that feels we may well be turning into feeless fleabay?[/quote]

When someone created a group of forums in the "Basschat Marketplace" section.

Steve