Why become a member? ×

When did someone put a big notice on BC saying 'Sell Here'?

warwickhunt

The classifieds are a major way of generating traffic for the site, especially in search engines, and often how people first get introduced to the forum. Not to mention that some stuff gets advertised here that never makes it to Ebay. I can't see the cause for your concern, can you expand on it?

[quote name='neepheid' post='172322' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:28 PM']Certainly it was in my mind to put a "You could at least have said hello first" type reply.[/quote]

You aren't looking hard enough... there's more than one today alone!

I'm well aware that we have a choice whether to interact with the sellers but I feel it is a bit rich to steam in and as you say no introduction as to who a seller is and slap a sale up. I'm not saying you have to be a sad owld git like me and waste half your day on here :) but at least letting us know who you are and allowing people to ascertain how genuine you are seems the least to be expected!

Anyone who doesn't bother to take the time to introduce themselves and become a recognised member of the forum is shooting oneself in the foot really, because I for one wouldn't buy from a Newbie with no feedback!
But anyone who does want to buy from such unknown entities will surely appreciate this service?

Edited by queenofthedepths

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='172324' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:31 PM']The classifieds are a major way of generating traffic for the site, especially in search engines, and often how people first get introduced to the forum. Not to mention that some stuff gets advertised here that never makes it to Ebay. I can't see the cause for your concern, can you expand on it?[/quote]

Unlike fleabay we have no way of verifying anything about newbie sellers. I'm not about to part with my hard earned to a complete stranger but there may well be a few on here who are a bit less thorough in their vetting of a bass related item or its seller. I'm well aware that there are those who will shout let the buyer be ware etc and tough luck if you're fool enough to part with your dosh without seeing/collecting it BUT we are a bit of a bass community... aren't we?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172335' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:37 PM']Unlike fleabay we have no way of verifying anything about newbie sellers. I'm not about to part with my hard earned to a complete stranger but there may well be a few on here who are a bit less thorough in their vetting of a bass related item or its seller. I'm well aware that there are those who will shout let the buyer be ware etc and tough luck if you're fool enough to part with your dosh without seeing/collecting it BUT we are a bit of a bass community... aren't we?[/quote]

+1

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='172332' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:36 PM']Anyone who doesn't bother to take the time to introduce themselves and become a recognised member of the forum is shooting oneself in the foot really, because I for one wouldn't buy from a Newbie with no feedback!
But anyone who does want to buy from such unknown entities will surely appreciate this service?[/quote]
I'm the same, once you get talking to people on this forum and hear their opinions you tend to form an impression of that person and a lot of the people that post regularly on here are really genuine. I just don't trust a few of these sales where the seller has literally just joined and not even posted yet. Particularly when the item for sale is on ebay too... that's when i leave them alone!

Edited by budget bassist

People who sign up just to sell their unused bass, bought in the mistaken belief that it will get them instant R&R fame, has always gone by pretty much unchecked but I'd genuinely like to ask if anyone else feels that all of a sudden we have a glut of peeps joining and doing nothing but advertise their gear?

My thoughts are that though it would be nice for all sellers to be active members of the community, the most important thing is that they are here. More sellers and dealers here lead to a more vibrant marketplace and ultimately results in better choice for all of us. I personally would be very wary of anyone selling something with their first ad. But I would like to able to make that choice.

i think that you should have a certain amount of posts before you can sell, or be a fully fledged member or something. i konw there are a few problems with this idea, like just posting bumps or lols in topics, but at least then you get to see all the lols and bumps and know what that person is like.

Didn't we already have this discussion and everyone pretty much agreed that we should have an "enhanced feedback system" whatever that is, and that the rest should be left to buyer's discretion. Some people are willing to take a risk, others aren't, some people come here to be part of a community, some people just browse the for sale section. I think the fact that it's in a totally seperate section means that there's no real problem.

I don't disagree with any of the responses and all as valid as the last few times this topic has probably come up :) and I agree that it is up to the individual to sort out whether they are prepared to enter into a transaction with a seller but shouldn't we have a collective responsibility instead of the 'look after #1' mentality that seems to be pervading society?

signed

Asad Owldhippy :huh:

[quote name='dlloyd' post='172397' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:42 PM']There's at least one seller on the first page who is 'no longer a newbie' on the strength of his 'bump' posts. Mind you I doubt he'll sell too much at the prices he's asking.[/quote]
True, but I'm not going to buy anything from anyone I don't recognise from other parts of the forum unless I have any other reason to trust them! Also as I understand it, posts in Off Topic don't count towards your overall post count? I'd be more inclined to trust someone with several hundred posts in Off Topic than someone whose posting is limited to selling in the marketplace!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172335' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:37 PM']Unlike fleabay we have no way of verifying anything about newbie sellers. I'm not about to part with my hard earned to a complete stranger but there may well be a few on here who are a bit less thorough in their vetting of a bass related item or its seller. I'm well aware that there are those who will shout let the buyer be ware etc and tough luck if you're fool enough to part with your dosh without seeing/collecting it BUT we are a bit of a bass community... aren't we?[/quote]
Indeed we are but this whole issue is a bit complicated.

What happens when something goes wrong? Who gets blamed? The basic premise of 'caveat emptor' doesn't change regardless of what safeguards are put in place because a foolproof system doesn't exist. Regardless of however you look at it, everyone takes on a responsibility of assessing their own exposure to risk - thats why the existing feedback forum works how it does. Even if we we operated a members only bass club where someone is recommended and seconded before membership is approved, that isn't any guarantee.

If you're not comfortable trusting someone then common sense suggests that you either don't do business with them, or you reach some kind of arrangement whereby you have a recourse if things don't go as well as expected. For example, face to face meeting at the sellers house so you can check the item over to your satisfaction before you leave with it.

If members start assuming a degree of safety on this forum because its a community, then that places an obligation of responsibility ON the community to look after the seller. Next thing we know there are vigilante groups on witch hunts like there was on the Dudepit and all sorts of unnecessary drama, name calling, bruised egos, tiaras, tantrums, lawsuits, tsunamis, volcanoes, tornados and coachloads of smurf headed UN personnel prodding the aftermath etc. Oh, and its probably going to be a less pleasant place to use.

As I've said time and time again, if you have some concerns about a seller drop one of the mods a PM. We can check them out on other forums and stuff, then approach them offline with questions. If you have a small group of sellers you trust, that's great but what we can't have happening is people being lynched for posting stuff just because they're new and a potential threat. They may actually have the best of intentions and it would be detrimental in the long run to assume all [url="http://www.thisisalocalshop.com"]"non-locals"[/url] are threatening.

Phatmonkey is looking at a form of enhanced feedback system within the range of modules this forum can host but its a very basic system and isn't going to safeguard against abuse or retaliatory feedback. At the end of the day its probably not going to be a massive improvement on the feedback forum we already have.

[quote name='The Funk' post='172377' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:13 PM']I don't really have a problem with it. I see newbie sellers with 0 posts the same way as newbie ebayers with 0 feedback. Approach with caution![/quote]

Likewise. Anyone who posts stuff for sale as their first post isn't going to get such a good response as someone who's known, so it's their problem. And maybe they'll hang around after they've sold the guitar.

On the other hand, if a newbie has something for sale that I want, I'll buy it...I'll just be a bit more wary than if I was dealing with someone I 'know'.

I don't think you can really lay down rules about minimum numbers of posts or length of time as a member but it's annoying and feels like people are taking the p1ss when they just come on here to flog stuff. It would be nice if they had the manners to introduce themselves.

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='172411' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:57 PM']I don't think you can really lay down rules about minimum numbers of posts or length of time as a member but it's annoying and feels like people are taking the p1ss when they just come on here to flog stuff. It would be nice if they had the manners to introduce themselves.[/quote]

I understand that completely too, but what can realistically be done? Like I said, if you don't trust the person don't buy from them. The fact that SOME members do buy from them suggests there's at least a demand from within the membership, surely?

Like everything else on the InterNet, this is a form of accelerated evolution.

Those who take the trouble to introduce themselves, stick around, get known, will find their stuff sells faster and probably for better prices. Some/many will end up being 'better' members of this community than I am. They will thrive.

Those who wander in and say "Buy This! Now!" will get ignored and go away. Evolution in action.

There are loads of forums & sub-sections on BC. I have no difficulty in avoiding hard-sell Newbies.

When I actually want to buy something, I go into the "For Sale" section knowing what I'm looking for. Again, it's not hard to avoid to avoid Newbies trying to sell beat-up Stingrays and dodgy vintage P-basses.

I agree that (some of) these people are very irritating, but I don't see this as a major problem.

I've just stumbled accross this topic while browsing the forum and this is only my second post on here. I'm a 'newbie' and also wish to try and sell some gear here shortly. I've allready posted in the Introdutions and even touched on this very subject there. I worry that I may be less appealing as a seller due to my relatively low post count. The difficulty is it's almost impossible for me to 'contribute actively' to the forum when it moves so fast and I really don't have the time to trawl every topic to find something where what I have to say might be worth a hoot. I, like a lot of members, come on here mainly when I know what I'm looking for, be that info or gear. I'm not about to start posting rubbish or repeating what everyone has allready said just to get my post count up.

Dan :)

[quote name='D-L-B' post='172451' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:35 PM']I've just stumbled accross this topic while browsing the forum and this is only my second post on here. I'm a 'newbie' and also wish to try and sell some gear here shortly. I've allready posted in the Introdutions and even touched on this very subject there. I worry that I may be less appealing as a seller due to my relatively low post count. The difficulty is it's almost impossible for me to 'contribute actively' to the forum when it moves so fast and I really don't have the time to trawl every topic to find something where what I have to say might be worth a hoot. I, like a lot of members, come on here mainly when I know what I'm looking for, be that info or gear. I'm not about to start posting rubbish or repeating what everyone has allready said just to get my post count up.

Dan :)[/quote]
So you used the "Cute Dawgie" gambit in your avatar ;)

I think I have admitted before that I first came here when I was looking to sell my old combo, which actually went on Gumtree in the end, and cannot now remember whether my "For Sale" post preceded my "Hello" entry (perhaps that's why the combo went on Gumtree :huh: )

All transactions I have had have been completed with no problem and I have rightly or wrongly tended to the view that this seems to be a friendly place where generally members act with consideration to each other.

I recall seeing one noob who posted for sales early on and adopted what I felt to be a bolshie attitude when asked for pics etc., and I dismissed his offers immediately.