Why become a member? ×

Jumpin Jack Flash - anyone got any tips on how to sound good?

Truckstop

Shouldn't sound weedy with your Blazer and Ampeg set up. Don't understand is it just this number Alex?

I've been playing it again recently in one of the covers bands and it sounds pretty full on. P Bass or sometimes my G&L through GB Shuttle and Mark Bass cabs.
I play with a pick. Fretting mostly around the middle reaches of the neck.

I'll pay attention to it properly at wednesday nights rehearsal ( I have to admit to playing this one on auto pilot) and report back.

Yeah it's just this song I'm not happy with at all. It just sounds so weak against the drums, keys and guitar. IMO its always sounded poor whether at gigs or in rehearsal. Ive spoken to the rest of the guys in the band about it and they think it sounds ok but I think they're just being polite.

Think I might just utilise my Master Blaster and bring up the mids slightly and boost the overall volume and see if that works!

Hobbayne - Yeah I'll give that a go. Less fuss that way and should beef up the sound of the band overall rather than me just worrying about making the bass bigger.

Cheers

Alex

Weird how a given bass can sound 'twee' in one song and thunder through the next. That is usually when you are fighting against bottom-heavy keyboards, but just the guitars,...hmmmm....
I've played that song and played the verse ( I think we did it in key of B around the 14th fret on the A string as opposed to the thinner sounding D or G string positions.
Sorry, I know I am stating the obvious, but mine sounded round enough. There must be something on your effects unit you can utilise to add depth?

Edited by leftyhook

You could try doing the Johnny Winter version.
I do it in a few pubrock bands I play with.... Sounds better than the original IMHO & definitely more fun to play on bass.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPucX4Oj28"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbPucX4Oj28[/url]

• 1 month later...

I used to be in a hard rock band that played this, I used this line. I'm not sure how it would work if you're trying to be as sensitive to the original as possible but if you're trying to rock things up a little it's worth trying.

EDIT: Does anyone know why the upload isn't working?

Edited by applerocks

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1330275604' post='1555013']
I just play the main guitar riff on the bass, that fills it out a bit more than Bills original line.
[/quote]

Well quite. But it's worth noting that Bill Wyman doesn't play on JJF. Keith Richards is playing bass on it. The joke being that he nicked the idea Wyman was working on (which was the chorus part if I'm right) and then played the bass on it himself just to add insult to the lack of songwriting credit....

Yeah, just play the guitar line. Usually works.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1333195788' post='1598573']
I find the best thing to play in that is dead simple...let the guitar play the riff and let the
bass pump solid quavers on the root. I think it sounds better than doubling the riff.
[/quote]

Absolutely. That's what fills it out.