Why become a member? ×

Steal of the century!!

thedarxide

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300212789201"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=300212789201[/url]

I saw the listing whilst looking for something else, and thought that the issues with it could probably be sorted, otherwise I'd get a decent amount of pots and parts for my cash. Bass arrived last night, and I can't find anything wrong with it. In fact, the only flaw I can find *anywhere* is that a few frets on the treble side are peeking out of the binding. So for less than the price of a takeaway I've found myself a steal. It's a really, really, nice bass. If I was really awkward, I'd rather have a reverse headstock, and the neck is far chunkier than you'd expect on an instrument that looks like this. It's got to be one of the fattest I've played.

The final thing is, I can't figure out what all the knobs do!! There's definently vol/tone for each pickup, but it seems like the one on it's own is the tone for the bridge, and the one in the middle seems to be some kind of intermediate tone, but there's no cap on the pot and it seems quite subtle. Weird.....

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='172234' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:09 PM']Bagged a bargain by the looks of it :huh:

Very similar to a Charvel that I had... it was a long L O N G time ago (think Poison, Motley Crue and big hair) honest :)[/quote]

That's why I decided to have a punt. I've always wanted a white charvel with a skinny neck (in both directions). This ones neck is far too palm-filling for mega fast '80s metal though. It's not impossible, just not too comfortable, I was playing along to Kill 'Em All last night.

[quote name='thedarxide' post='172247' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:24 PM']That's why I decided to have a punt. I've always wanted a white charvel with a skinny neck (in both directions). This ones neck is far too palm-filling for mega fast '80s metal though. It's not impossible, just not too comfortable, I was playing along to Kill 'Em All last night.[/quote]

The Charvel that I owned had a very low profile (skinny front to back) but it wasn't skinny in width. I seem to recall it being quite broad luckily I play thumb behind the neck so there was no issue.

[quote name='thedarxide' post='172014' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:45 AM']The final thing is, I can't figure out what all the knobs do!! There's definently vol/tone for each pickup, but it seems like the one on it's own is the tone for the bridge, and the one in the middle seems to be some kind of intermediate tone, but there's no cap on the pot and it seems quite subtle. Weird.....[/quote]
If it´s the generic super-cheap Chinese onboard pre-amp, it should be volume and blend (on top) and a 3-band EQ with the mid control, as you say, doing next to nothing. :)

Nooooooooo

You may regret that purchase.

I bought a Lindo bass & guitar for a uni project last summer. One of the guitar tuners broke as soon as it was tuned, and the bass's truss rod was rusted solid, so when I tried to adjust it, the bolt snapped.

I kept them as I only wanted the necks for the project, and as whole instruments they were still way cheaper than any market replacement.

Honestly for these, 'how cheap' is too cheap.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='172599' date='Apr 8 2008, 09:07 PM']Nooooooooo

You may regret that purchase.

I bought a Lindo bass & guitar for a uni project last summer. One of the guitar tuners broke as soon as it was tuned, and the bass's truss rod was rusted solid, so when I tried to adjust it, the bolt snapped.

I kept them as I only wanted the necks for the project, and as whole instruments they were still way cheaper than any market replacement.

Honestly for these, 'how cheap' is too cheap.[/quote]
That'll be the "Minor issues" :huh: I suppose it will give you something to torch in the big gig finale if nothing else.

I seem remember seeing a Deep Purple / Rainbow concert video where Mr Blackmore was unfortunately followed behind the Marshall stacks by the cameras, to where his tech swapped his strat for a copy that was duly trashed into the empty Marshal stacks loaded with flashbombs :)