Why become a member? ×

Doubling on Double Bass?

bassist_lewis

So I've had an electric upright bass for about a year, for the first few months i played quite a bit, I've done a few gigs with double bass (both this one and borrowed) but I haven't touched it since november and before that I hadn't serisouly played it since august so I'm wondering if there's any point keeping it as I don't feel much enthusiasm for the instrument (as a player at least)

should electric bassists be required to also play double bass? it would seem only fair as guitarists, double bassists, drummers and keys players all seem quite happy picking up the bass guitar and nabbing our gigs :P . point is, is it better to focus on one instrument and know it inside out or double up?

any thoughts?

IMO if you can play DB as well that's extra gigs you could do. If you've got enough EB work to keep you happy, well & good, but I've been told that around here a decent DB player is hard to find so possibly you could have the skills to satisfy a need as well as earn a bit ...

BTW I'm a guitarist who can handle an EB, I think that playing other instruments (even if not as well as you play your "first" instrument) enhances your appreciation of music and is therefore to be recommended

It's certainly not a requirement to double on Upright bass...there are plenty of great players who don't.
But,I don't think it can hurt to double on both instruments.There are a number of gigs around that require
doubling,and by doing both you open yourself up to being offered them.Of course,you may not have any
interest in those gigs,so that might be a moot point.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1329830903' post='1548017']
It's certainly not a requirement to double on Upright bass...there are plenty of great players who don't.
But,I don't think it can hurt to double on both instruments.There are a number of gigs around that require
doubling,and by doing both you open yourself up to being offered them.Of course,you may not have any
interest in those gigs,so that might be a moot point.
[/quote]

+1 and welcome back :)

I think it depends why you are playing. If you are trying to earn your living from music, then it might be worth sticking at the db because it's a rarer skill and may get you more paid gigs. If you are primarily playing for the love of it, then I'd say play the instrument(s) that you feel enthusiastic about.

As Doddy says really. If you're a working player and wish to maximise your potential, it would almost be a bit mad not to consider playing double bass. I recently bought an upright and am enjoying it immensely. I don't see myself using it much live as my band don't have much call for it, but it's a nice thing to have nonetheless.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329840248' post='1548296']
I don't see myself using it much live as my band don't have much call for it, but it's a nice thing to have nonetheless.
[/quote]

I originally only used DB with a couple of folk bands until the guys from my covers band saw me playing at a folk gig.
I now use an NS EUB for a couple of songs with the covers band and it sits really well.

If you don't like playing it, don't play it. When the DB gigs come in, suggest someone else and then they may return the favour one day. I did 28 years on electric only and, since starting on DB, my gigs have gone down by about 75% so the 'DB will get you more gigs' argument is not as robust as one would like to think :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329912076' post='1549471']
since starting on DB, my gigs have gone down by about 75% so the 'DB will get you more gigs' argument is not as robust as one would like to think :lol:
[/quote]

Possible you are in the wrong game then.
Try something else, maybe writing books..... :)

Good luck with the book Rob.

Garry

While I agree it doesnt hurt to double (although I prefer doubling on electric+synth bass) on double bass, what I've noticed in quite a few players that do this sort of thing, is that they're pretty average (or sometimes even awful) [b]second [/b]instrument players (let's say you're primarily a double bassist).

It drives me nuts seeing double bassists playing an electric, and trying to stick in open position (bad), using a 1-4-5 left hand fingering (worse), or trying to make electric bass' sound as it is a double bass (worst).
I thinkit's mainly because people don't really spend enough time on [i]secondary [/i]instrument, and this is especially noticeable among bassists, because of one paradox: electric and double basses carry exactly the same role in music, but they're can't be more different when it comes to approach them technically and sound-wise.

I've tried to learn double-bass, but after a few months I realised how much work it would take (and I ain't afraid of hard-work) to get it to the level where I would like it; and at the same time I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoy playing electric or synth bass.
At the end, you can always dial out that double-bassy tone on synth, that's what I'd do if required :)

easy
L

Edited by Faithless

I knwo what you mean about some doublers being weak on one or other of the instruments (Dave Holland on electric!!) but there are doublers who excel (Brian Bromberg, John Patitucci, Christian McBride etc) and its a matter of personal choice whether you want to invest in one or other instrument to the exclusion of the other. FOr me, it was more a case of how much technique on electric have I got vs how much I need? I can whizz about in 15:8 but it is never required so I can afford to spend some time on the double bass. If I ever get a call from a Zappa tribute band, I can 'shed :lol:

I agree with players being weaker on one over the other...I love Chritian McBride,but I don't find his electric
playing as good as his Upright work,especially when compared to doublers like Patitucci or Bromberg.
Upright is definitely an instrument that you have to love because it takes a lot of time and work,but I think
it's worth the effort.
I also think that for a lot of modern music the ability to double on synth bass is becoming more and more
important. Having said that,why not treble on all three?

Well, from what I've heard in McBride's playing (I've seen him live doubling on fretless bass and double bass), he has some monsterous chops on electric (he's primarily a double bassist, isn't he?), so, yeah, there are guys who can really play on both, but when we're talking about Johnny P, Broomberg and McBride, we're talking about the top guys, and they're real minority out there - most of 'regular' bassists-doublers I tend to see have slightly different level of command on their primary and secondary instruments.

interesting points, inspired me to play it for the first time in a while and it is quite fun, I'm not desperate for money so I won't be selling it (yet!) Having said that the career path I'm going down is more towards the pop covers side of things so I'm working on my backing vocals and playing at the same time (nightmare!)

on the subject of bad doublers I know what you mean about double bass players on the bass guitar, my teacher was a great double bassist but I saw him playing a gig on electric and he looked like he'd only just picked it up but then if you know your limits and you play for the song is that still "bad" playing? :huh: (there's probably a post or two on that subject :D ) i did a couple of folky tunes on double bass and i think i did alright :blink: