Why become a member? ×

Shuker build

simon1964

Decided to treat myself, and have paid a visit to Jon today to discuss the spec on a new 4 string. Edit: bit of a change of spec below!

I'm looking at:

Downsize Jazz body, walnut with Asian striped ebony top
Maple and wenge neck with maple fingerboard
matching Asian striped ebony headstock facing
Delano hybrid MM/J pickups - 2 band active MM/J, but with a coil tap giving passive J/J. Jon has a single cut in stock with this configuration and I was blown away with how versatile it is.

I'm thinking of individual bridge saddles and black hardware.

Still undecided on gloss or satin finish. Suggestions gratefully received!

Only problem is the wait!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='jono b' post='171747' date='Apr 7 2008, 08:46 PM']So how long does a Shuker generally take to complete? I hear a lot of people complaining about the wait![/quote]

Standard disclaimer: Other luthiers are available :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lot less than most luthiers :huh: Jon always used to underestimate the build time. If you add about 6 weeks to his estimate you'll not be too dissapointed ...

That sounds tasty Those delanos look fantastic ;)
Are you getting LEDs?

[quote name='OldGit' post='171792' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:39 PM']Standard disclaimer: Other luthiers are available :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lot less than most luthiers :huh: Jon always used to underestimate the build time. If you add about 6 weeks to his estimate you'll not be too dissapointed ...

That sounds tasty Those delanos look fantastic ;)
Are you getting LEDs?[/quote]

I'm not too worried about the time to be honest - as you say a lot less than most luthiers, and well worth the wait.

Not sure about LEDs - my eye-sight isn't what it used to be, so they may come in useful on a dark stage in Mansfield on a Friday night!

[quote name='simon1964' post='171849' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:25 PM']I'm not too worried about the time to be honest - as you say a lot less than most luthiers, and well worth the wait.

Not sure about LEDs - my eye-sight isn't what it used to be, so they may come in useful on a dark stage in Mansfield on a Friday night![/quote]

Ha ha works for me :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a change of plan on this - the more I spoke to Jon, the more the idea of a single cut grew on me. The ones I tried at Jon's were amazingly comfortable to play, and the shape seemed a bit more ''custom'' to me than a Jazz. So, I've finally agreed a modified spec:

4 string bolt on singlecut

34" scale
24 frets

black walnut body
Asian striped ebony drop top
sycamore veneer between top and body
gloss finish coat

5 piece laminate neck (maple / wenge)
birdseye maple fingerboard (no fingerboard face dots)
matching asian striped ebony headstock facing
black side dots
satin finish on neck

delano hybrid MM +J pickup system
delano hybrid BED circuit + passive tone control
(vol, pan, treble, mid, bass, mode switch)

black hardware
individual bridge units
gotoh tuners

Its been said on here before, but Jon is a fantastic guy to deal with. Will post some pics in due course!

[quote name='OldGit' post='183527' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:29 AM']Just wondered if there are any regularly used single cuts in rock and roll?
I don't think I've ever seen one on the telly and it does seem to be a Jazz /ERB / soloist body style ..[/quote]

I think you're right Si.
Up until recently, Single Cuts, or at least the modern boutique variety have been solely reserved for that kind of player, probably more to do with price than anything though.
There are of course the older kind, some of of those lovely 70s Les Paul basses for instance, now they've been used and abused in rock music for decades.

Probably the original single cut bass, probably wrong though...
Nice :)

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='lwtait' post='184347' date='Apr 24 2008, 10:30 AM']doesn't my taitycaster count as a single cut then? that kind of a guitar body...
[attachment=8113:shuker_day_5__4_.JPG][/quote]

Ha ha sorry I really don't want to be the arbiter of what counts as a single cut :) But I guess you know what I mean ..

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='184493' date='Apr 24 2008, 01:27 PM']You might be getting a visit from me when its complete! lol.[/quote]

You'll be more than welcome!

Not sure of time scale generally yet - I'm expecting it to be a while, but it will be well worth the wait!

• 1 month later...

[quote name='simon1964' post='184505' date='Apr 24 2008, 01:45 PM']You'll be more than welcome!

Not sure of time scale generally yet - I'm expecting it to be a while, but it will be well worth the wait![/quote]

I've also been to Jon's workshop and the basses look and sound superb! Any luthier worth his salt will have a demand for their wares so inevitably a waiting time lasting several months. Your bass will def. be worth the wait!

I'm looking to get an Artist bass fretless 6 and then a single cut fretted 6. But with a slightly larger body.

Whicjh brings me to a question: Anyone out there got a bass of 36" scale or more? I'm intrigued if I could actually handle that size ala Mr. A. Jackson.

Candybassed

• 1 month later...

Just received the first pics from Jon! The body needs a bit more routing before the gloss coat, but this gives a general idea. Really pleased with the top, and the contrast with the lighter body. Jon's working on the neck at the moment, so looking forward to some more pics in due course!

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='7string' post='246513' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:48 PM']Always exciting to get some progress pics.

On the other hand, it makes the wait that little bit more painful :)[/quote]

Thats why i'm not getting any pics for my neck build :huh:

Looks like another awesome Shuker, love single cuts! And a beautiful top, exotic but understated.

Si

[quote name='simon1964' post='246490' date='Jul 23 2008, 11:24 PM']Just received the first pics from Jon! The body needs a bit more routing before the gloss coat, but this gives a general idea. Really pleased with the top, and the contrast with the lighter body. Jon's working on the neck at the moment, so looking forward to some more pics in due course![/quote]

GORGEOUS!

Eude

Thanks for the comments

When I visted Jon he was working on another bass with an Asian Striped ebony top - have to confess I'd never heard of it before. Laquered it looked fantastic. Bit different from from the ubiquitous flamed maple!

I'm hoping it will be a nice contrast with the maple board, but I'm not 100% decided on the hardware - can't chose between black or chrome. Any suggestions welcome!

Edited by simon1964

Gotta be black dude!
I've never really like Chrome Hardware, I've always thought it looked cheap, apart from that kinda brushed alloy finish that Hipshot do on some products.
I'd also go with black though, as adding more contrast to the Ebony top might be overkill, I'd leave that to the maple board...

Just my 2p of course.

Cheers,
Eude