Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky Metroline

Icunningham

Hey

Just been browsing and saw the Sadowsky Metroline and was wondering is it worth that extra bit of money over other high end bass brands such as rickenbacker, American deluxe fenders and musicman basses and so on. I'm not talking in terms of sound I'm talking about feel and quality. Would like to know other peoples opinions on these basses.

Hope to hear your opinions soon :)

Thanks

Ian

Edited by Icunningham

on a recent trip to NYC,i went to the Sadowsky showroom/shop and played a bunch of their NYC models (including the Will Lee which incited serious GAS -mygawd what a great bass).

then went downtown and played some Metros.

i felt there was a quality difference. the Metros didn't stand up to the NYCs.

they were fine basses for high-end Fender clones, and they sounded like a Sadowsky, and why wouldn't they, but the feel was off. the necks felt generic. (maybe it's because i'm not a fan of flat finish necks). and the attention to detail in the feel was off .

if I'm going to have a Sadowsky I'll spend the extra $$, special order exactly what i want, and I'll get a NYC.

Edited by duke of prunes

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1329752995' post='1546776']
Wow. If the NYC models are THAT much better, I'm apprehensive to try one - I got enough GAS for a Metro! :P
[/quote]

i wouldn't say that they were THAT much better. on the day i played both, my hands preferred the feel of the NYCs.

i'd spend the money for a NYC, I wouldn't for a Metro.

that said, i'd really have to LOVE a bass to put down that much for one.

i'd be more inclined to buy an old Fender for the money.

I've played a lot of Sadowsky Metros. The most recent ones I played were an MV5 and a P/J 5. The P/J 5 didn't really have much to write home about and I was disappointed because I'd waited quite a while to try one out. The MV5 however was so good that it was all my girlfriend could do to stop me from getting a credit card and buying the thing there and then. Quite simply a brilliant bass, and it sounded sublime. Great low B too.

I love my Metro RV4. Sounds, feels & looks great to me. There's a large price difference between Metro & NYC basses so unless you need a custom option that only a NYC can provide, I'd say the Metro is a fine choice.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1329761103' post='1546920']
I love my Metro RV4. Sounds, feels & looks great to me. There's a large price difference between Metro & NYC basses so unless you need a custom option that only a NYC can provide, I'd say the Metro is a fine choice.
[/quote]

+1 I think NYC basses are the way forward for custom options, but Metros are a great option if you like the spec on offer.

Tough one. Recent crazy UK prices of Metros are, IMO, hyping it to levels more than they are worth. For a relatively simple J bass with an onboard EQ, it's a lot of money. The quality IS good, but it should be. It's a simple bass produced in fairly high numbers now.

I'd say they sit at the £1300-1400 new price bracket, not the recent £1700-2100.

Nice basses, but I wouldn't buy new for the price. I still think Musicman are some of the only 'made in USA' basses that feel like they are worth the money.

Recently went to a shop that has a lot of Metros in stock.
I have to say I was shocked about the playability of the Sadwosky's which I was pretty keen to demo.
I thought the finish was ok upto a point but I could have sworn the black blocks on the maple were
stick-ons..!!
I have to say the the whole stock of basses..which numbered around 50 or so ..was pretty poor in the set-up and I struggled to find ANY bass that was worth playing.
I went there to demo Aguilar amps and cabs so didn't take my own bass and what a BIG mistake that was.

Considering the Sadowsky's were just shy of £2000, I'd have to say I was hugely disappointed. The general finish was ok..but deffo nowhere near a £2000 bass IMO.
I could maybe have made the bass better for me with an allen key, but should that be necessary on this price-point..???
A I said Sadowsky basses were no means alone in that.

If I was Sadowsky, I was would be very unhappy about letting basses out to a shop like this..as the set-up was poor and the display non-discript.

I am pretty sure that NYC's would be way better.. they would have to be..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1329766345' post='1547034']
I have to say the the whole stock of basses..which numbered around 50 or so ..was pretty poor in the set-up and I struggled to find ANY bass that was worth playing.

If I was Sadowsky, I was would be very unhappy about letting basses out to a shop like this..as the set-up was poor and the display non-discript.

I am pretty sure that NYC's would be way better.. they would have to be..
[/quote]

i'm not sure one can blame Sadowsky for how the bass is set up once it's put out for display at a shop. who knows how it has been affected by shipping, temp, etc.

that's on the store to have a playable, sellable instrument. shame on them for not taking a few minutes to set it up properly.

there used to be a shop around here notorious for having the worst setup instruments around. we all knew it was the shop and not the instrumen maker.

the Sadowskys at the showroom were perfect. (with an assortment of amps to run through that made me drool.)

maybe... I was not impressed with the other basses in the shop as well as I looked through almost their entire rack
to find one I wanted to play.

So set-up aside...which I agree, is a huge thing and especially for someone who is as picky about that sort of thing as me, I
still didn't think much of any of their basses. I would say they had about 7or 8 4 and 5st's.
There were also Sandbergs, Warwicks, Laklands which was the bass I used as it was the least worst set-up, AFAIWC.
Pretty poor day allround and I never got to the bottom of the Amp selection either.

I will be in no hurry to go back to the shop and if I do find myself there by some strange mistake, I'll take that allen key with me...
if they'll allow that.

I came away with the impression that this was a store that ended up with a load of Sadowsky cast-offs..!!

Shame, but that is the tale I have to tell...and I so wanted to like them on the day

Ah yes, its 'that Sadowsky thread' time of year again.

Just like some people will always consider TC Electronic amps to not be loud enough and giving an overly compressed sound, some will consider the Metros to be too expensive and not as good as bass X which is available for much cheaper.

There is no better when it comes to a Musicman, Rickenbacker, Sandberg, Fender, Sadowsky or anything else. Just play them all and decide which one you like best. You might end up with a Squier or Mexican Fender that plays awesome.

On the JTUK sub-topic I would also say that there is nothing more annoying that going into a shop to try a high end bass which is so badly set up that it is impossible to tell whether the bass is actually any good.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329765522' post='1547015']
Tough one. Recent crazy UK prices of Metros are, IMO, hyping it to levels more than they are worth. For a relatively simple J bass with an onboard EQ, it's a lot of money. The quality IS good, but it should be. It's a simple bass produced in fairly high numbers now.

I'd say they sit at the £1300-1400 new price bracket, not the recent £1700-2100.

Nice basses, but I wouldn't buy new for the price. I still think Musicman are some of the only 'made in USA' basses that feel like they are worth the money.
[/quote]

I've no idea how you can justify that statement with the quality issues - well documented here - that you've had with Musicman. Find one thread about metros with 10% of the issues you had with your Stingray.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' timestamp='1329828402' post='1547951']
I've no idea why this debate keeps coming up!? :rolleyes:

If ya dont like something dont buy it / eat it / use it / moan about how its not worth the money etc

Sadowsky's tick all the boxes for me and that is why im prepared to spend the extra cash! :) Im more than happy with my Metro PJ5
[/quote]

Good point

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1329817560' post='1547674']
I've no idea how you can justify that statement with the quality issues - well documented here - that you've had with Musicman. Find one thread about metros with 10% of the issues you had with your Stingray.
[/quote]

The main Stingray problem I had was, after some investigating, nothing to do with how it was originally made. It was 'modded' shall we say, when it arrived in the UK.

The Metro's are often £600-£800 more than a normal Stingray H or HH. I would expect it to literally be mind blowing for that price.

When i discuss quality, it is something I am quite a perfectionist with. Simple workmanship or innovations, like how flush the battery compartment is with the body, and what material/how flush the electronics rear cover is. Neckplate details, quality of wood for the fingerboard/neck etc, are all very important. The reason I side with Musicman is because they make virtually everything themselves, in their own USA factory. Little upgrades like the Truss Rod Wheel, the excellent heavy duty bridge and their own pups.

As much as I have final build issues in the huge Stingray thread from the past, when I received one that was straight from the factory (and was actually the one I ordered, and not a bodge) it was stunning quality. Everything screamed 'this is worth the money'.

I have 5 Musicman basses, and they are all excellent and well built in their own way.

To be honest, everything over £800-900 SHOULD be excellent in terms of build etc.

MM20, I hear what you're saying & I agree that current new Metro prices are too steep. However, I've also had/played many MMs over the years & prefer the Metros I've played to them all. The only MM I've kept is my fretless which is the best of the bunch by far, the rest have all passed through because of weight or tone issues.

The argument about making their own pickups etc doesn't matter to me, nor where it's made. Only the end result is important to me. That's why we all need to play a bass to be able to tell whether it works for us, just knowing about its components isn't enough.