Why become a member? ×

Drumcore or EZdrumer

Dropzone

So I am blindlessly heading into the world of DAW drumming.

Which of the titled drum packages is easist to get a half decent result with.

I note you can get a drumcore lite on free download so I will give it a try but am wondering what everyone elses experiance is.

Many thanks in advance

Mike

EZdrummer does what it says on the tin... Might be worth a look at [url="http://www.bluenoiseplugins.com/plugins/drummix/beta-edition/"]http://www.bluenoise...x/beta-edition/[/url] - free and less sounds processed than EZD.(you'll have to map your own patterns with this one - EZD comes with a lotta grooves if that makes a difference).

Edited by OldG

My vote goes for BFD Eco. Although personally I use BFD2 with various of the optional Yamaha kits, Eco is what I provided to the other musicians I'm working with. Tried the various Toontrack and FXpansion, as well as XLN Audio and Steinberg, packages side by side, and just thought BFD sounded better.

You should be able to pop it in c:\program files\vstplugins (it might be c:\program files(x86)\vstplugins) and have Reaper pick it up from there. Also check in Reaper's Options > Preferences > Plugins - VST and make sure that the file path is included in the VST plugin paths and that should do it. In fact, you can probably put it anywhere so long as you tell Reaper the path but other software will likely look in the folder I mentioned by default too so it's worth popping it in there.

I've been wondering about DAW drums. I've listened to the EzDrummer demos and they sound pretty good. But, in practice, how easy is it to define a really good drum track for recording? I've got an Alesis SR-16 drum machine which is pretty good but the 'fill' facility is a bit restrictive it seems to me. Do things like EZdrummer provide more 'fill' variations or do they need to be programmed drumbeat by drumbeat?

Probably a dumb question for the experts out there but I've never used a DAW drum synth.

Playing with velocities, and moving notes[hits] to either side of the grid line [not bang on]
along with 'thinking' how a drummer would play the part goes along way to getting very usable
Drum tracks. The EZdrummer midi files do this along with a lot of the stuff out there these days.

Garry

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329787395' post='1547515']
Both EZ Drummer and BFD Eco can be run standalone. As entry level packages go, both are very flexible in terms of installation and use/programming.
[/quote]

I got EZ Drummer last weekend and so far it sounds very good. However, am I right in thinking that as a stand alone item, you can't write your own patterns and only use the presets ones? Even basic programming seems not available, for example set 4 bars of a preset 4/4 drums followed by a preset drum fill.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1330534139' post='1559029']
I got EZ Drummer last weekend and so far it sounds very good. However, am I right in thinking that as a stand alone item, you can't write your own patterns and only use the presets ones? Even basic programming seems not available, for example set 4 bars of a preset 4/4 drums followed by a preset drum fill.
[/quote]

Yup, you'll need a MIDI capable DAW - * mentions Reaper once again*