Why become a member? ×

help tuning a kala u bass

fiatcoupe432

I suspect that it's to do with the reduced scale (20"?) making correct intonation harder to achieve (i.e. being 1mm out on a 34" scale is going to have a less noticeable effect than being 1mm out on a 20" scale.

I'm perhaps being far too critical but I've heard a few of these Kala's now and every one of them has sounded slightly 'out' to me.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1329243080' post='1539505']
I suspect that it's to do with the reduced scale (20"?) making correct intonation harder to achieve (i.e. being 1mm out on a 34" scale is going to have a less noticeable effect than being 1mm out on a 20" scale.

I'm perhaps being far too critical but I've heard a few of these Kala's now and every one of them has sounded slightly 'out' to me.
[/quote]

Nowt to do with intonation, he's trying to tune it up! Intonation is a problem though with the fretted one when you get high up on the neck. The fretless one should be better in this regard in the hands of a good player - violinists can do it!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1329258647' post='1539849']
Nowt to do with intonation, he's trying to tune it up! [/quote]

Yep I can see that now.
I hadn't realised that they were so awkward to tune to open EADG and made an incorrect assumption that it was going 'out of tune' as the OP worked his way up the neck. :ph34r:

Slightly puzzled by all this. I had one of these for a while and don't recall any particular difficulty tuning it.

Fiat, are you using the correct strings? Are they new? Did you fit them yourself? If so, how have you 'locked' the string at the tuner?

Has the nut been slotted to the correct sizes? What tuning method are you using ... pedal, clip-on, by ear?

I bought a new one last week to take on hols. I have no problem tuning (just takes about a million turns of each tuner) but I have a problem with it staying in tune - each night the string (esp A,D, and worst culptit G) have detuned at least a semitone and sometimes much more. So how long is it before the strings stop stretching?

I believe Kala's are known for taking several weeks for the strings to settle in, especially as the strings are very stretchy. I don't own a Kala, but I've been following several Youtube posters avidly as I do want to buy one eventually. Any how, a video you may find useful:

http://youtu.be/0aVEzhjXaTc

Failing that, there's a great uBass player on Youtube called Magnus, and he's super helpful to boot. Maybe email him if you don't find the answers here: http://www.youtube.com/user/bassMAGics?feature=watch

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1329297097' post='1540082']
I bought a new one last week to take on hols. I have no problem tuning (just takes about a million turns of each tuner) but I have a problem with it staying in tune - each night the string (esp A,D, and worst culptit G) have detuned at least a semitone and sometimes much more. So how long is it before the strings stop stretching?
[/quote]

I have the same problem still (after having it around two months)..I tune it everytime but it is very fragile.