Why become a member? ×

HUGE EPIC BRUTAL sound... don't know what to look for..

charic

[quote name='clauster' timestamp='1332234569' post='1585064']
Huge and brutal?

Distortion/fuzz on it's own can get you the brutal, but not always the huge. Think angry Alsatian. Certainly big and strongh, but you can add more to get really huge and brutal.

For a real rabid Rottweiler of a tone, I'd start with a compressor. It'll fatten up your tone and can help your distrortion/fuzz produce a more consistent tone. If it can also introduce a bit of grit, this might not be a bad thing, but you want one that definitely does not lose your lows. Then into distortion/fuzz with blend - you'll want to keep that fat bass from the comp for the hugeness.

Want the guitarist quaking? Lets slip this p1ssed off pooch some crystal meth. Get an EQ and put it before the dirt and put both in the loop of blender. You've opened up your dirt choices, because we don't need a blend on the pedal and the EQ will let you push the dirt harder and shape it more.

Shall we add a collar with big pointy spikes? After the blender you could stick a milder drive to push the dirt a little further and add a bit of attitude to the clean tone.

One case for prosecution under the Dangerous [s]Dogs[/s] Distortion Act.
[/quote]

This.

My signal chain is bass - aguilar comp - sansamp (this has blend and EQ built in), Marshall jackhammer. Those are the core of my nasty sounds when I need them.

Big Muff and other effects come after. The only thing im missing is a noise gate! The sansamp is awesome but mines creates a lot of hiss

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1331915520' post='1580909']
I know it's arrogant but I love my tone at the end of this song [url="http://soundcloud.com/kilta/the-optimist"]http://soundcloud.co...ta/the-optimist[/url]
[/quote]

Sounds massive, nice sound! I bet it's fun playing with your band, that's exactly the kind of riffage I know I would indulge in if I wasn't in my current band.

cool. To make that tone....

line A - guitar compressor > ODB3 (low gain bass boost) > EQ (cutting above 800Hz)
line B - EQ boosting high mids > Ibanez SS10 (tube screamer type)

Blended about half and half, and then all of that into a Boss limiter with a bass big muff on dry mode at the end.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1332243033' post='1585298']
cool. To make that tone....

line A - guitar compressor > ODB3 (low gain bass boost) > EQ (cutting above 800Hz)
line B - EQ boosting high mids > Ibanez SS10 (tube screamer type)

Blended about half and half, and then all of that into a Boss limiter with a bass big muff on dry mode at the end.
[/quote]

yep that should do it!!!! jesus bet that sounds insane!

My favourite trick, if you're playing in a drop tuning, and have a big long ringing open low note, make it into a three octave chord (play the open, then 5th fret on the next string, open on the next and 7'th on the last). Your heaviness quotient has just increased by a factor of 40. Also depending on how loud it is one or more speaker cones may have blown. We all make sacrifices.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329148115' post='1537831']
For my metal band I was thinking of getting a pedal or two in the future just for scaring the pants off of the guitarist.

I really want the bass to sound huge and fairly evil. Was thinking a distortion may do this but most that I have listened too seem to cut a lot of low end.

Any recommended listening? I've not really ventured into pedals as of yet (have two) and so am pretty clueless.
[/quote]Suggestion ? Yes : Markbass Distorsore . I use this one for metalgigs with my full Ampegrig. An evil , demonic and fat sound. I love it. But i also do jazz and a very very slight turn with the tubeoverdrive knob gives a nice warm growl to the sound. Happy searching mate !