Why become a member? ×

Walking Bass Lines Book

Joe Hubbard Bass

My new book Walking Bass Lines is now available. Listen to what others are saying about the impact of this book:

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]“Walking Bass Lines by Joe Hubbard is a wonderful book! It is perfectly formatted...in fact, it takes the same approach that I use with my own students, but Joe has spelled it out better than I ever could have; I only wish that I had written it! I am actually going to recommend that my students pick up this book to work through as we work on changes and walking. Thanks for the source material Joe!” [b]--Damian Erskine (Bassist with The Jaco Pastorius Big Band, Peter Erskine, Gino Vanelli)[/b][/font][/color][/size]

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/purchase-cds/"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/purchase-cds/[/url]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Joe[/font][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Joe Hubbard Bass

[quote name='bass24' timestamp='1329123785' post='1537273']
Being able to listen to the tracks on a CD is a great help I find.

[/quote]

+1.

OP, I have no doubt that your new book is excellent. However, I find CD's a great help. With walking bass, all the pros seem to agree that the idea is to get the sounds into your [b]ears[/b], as well as under your fingers.

you get that information into your ears and fingers by [b]practicing [/b]it extensively, not by listening to a play-along recording.

There are hundreds of playalong tracks made by different tuition services, like Aebersold, so it's up to you to get that track or program one yourself, and practice the ideas in the book with it.

Another good idea is to take those ideas in the book, and write out some lines on popular forms/standards.

As a fellow Joe's student and book owner I can say that the information provided helps your playing and harmony understanding no end if you really spend your time with it.

easy
Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1329316398' post='1540525']
you get that information into your ears and fingers by [b]practicing [/b]it extensively, not by listening to a play-along recording.

There are hundreds of playalong tracks made by different tuition services, like Aebersold, so it's up to you to get that track or program one yourself, and practice the ideas in the book with it.

Another good idea is to take those ideas in the book, and write out some lines on popular forms/standards.

As a fellow Joe's student and book owner I can say that the information provided helps your playing and harmony understanding no end if you really spend your time with it.

easy
Laimis
[/quote]

I accept your points. However, IMO playing along to a CD which puts all the lessons learned in the book together, can only but speed up the learning process. If Ed Friedland, Ed Fuqua and Jay Hungerford can provide accompanying CD's, with their Walking Bass books, why cant Joe ? They obviously see the benefit that a book's own CD can provide.

Edited by Coilte

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I haven’t included a playalong CD for a reason- they don’t allow the player to improve. This is because the “playalong” represents a performance, not practice. Being able to play along with backing tracks successfully is the result or reward, not the methodology for development. I do include a recommended listening list that includes the legacy of jazz bass players who were influential in this genre. Check out bass players like Israel Crosby, Sam Jones, Jimmy Garrison, NHOP, Ron Carter, Jeff Andrews, Ray Brown, Charlie Haden and Christian McBride. Most young people do even know who these guys are, let alone done the research required by listening, transcribing and analysing the recordings they have played on.[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000][b]If you can already play world class walking bass lines, then you do not need this book! [/b] However, if after purchasing multiple walking bass lines books (w/ palyalong CDs) you find that you still cannot play effective walking bass lines that outline the harmony with laser sharp clarity, then this book will help you to improve exponentially![/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]This book follows a step-by-step modular approach that forces to student to work through the material progressively. The material in this book could easily take ten years to go through. It is not an easy book, but easily understandable. There is also an effective section on how to practice. I can guarantee your improvement because I have Beta tested this same material on my students and have witnessed real time success.[/color][/font]

Best[/size]

[size=4]Joe[/size]

I'm another in the camp of not really liking playalongs... I think you should be able to carry the sound of changes alone, so a walking bass line can, if desired allow the listener to follow the changes with no other instruments playing, (one can also choose of course to make the path less obvious) and I agree with Joe that playing along, whilst perfectly fine to do, is not discovery and study in quite the same way.
The only caveat for me is that this is all just opinion and different folk like to discover methodologies that suit them best.
As for getting the sound in your ears... for me the best way to do that is by immersing yourself in the piece, either alone or by listening to others perform it.

All the best with the book Joe!

Edited by jakenewmanbass

I agree that the playalongs route can be a hinderance as much as a help. I learned a few standards that way (Miss Jones, anyone?) and hate that, everytime I play them, I almost always default to those lines at some point (muscle memory?)! Great if the horn player wants the Aebersold behind them but not so great if you want to play Jazz like a grown up ;)

[quote name='jakenewmanbass' timestamp='1329394205' post='1541694']
The only caveat for me is that ... different folk like to discover methodologies that suit them best.
[/quote]

[color=#000000]This point of view has always baffled me. If people know what is best for them then they don’t need advice from a teacher. Can you envisage Mike Tyson telling Gus Damato what was best for him? In fact, after Gus passed away, this was Mike Tyson’s big downfall in his development; he tried to dictate to his coaches what was best for him- that was the point that Mike starting losing.[/color]
[color=#000000] [/color]
[color=#000000]It is generally a bad idea to hire a teacher and then only choose the advice that you like. When I studied with Charlie Banacos, it was his way or the highway. I never once questioned a single thing Charlie gave me to work on; I hired him to teach me because of his expertise on the subject of jazz improvisation.[/color]

[color=#000000]With that in mind, with everything that you learn you should absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and then add what is specifically your own. [/color]

[color=#000000]Best[/color]

[color=#000000]Joe [/color]

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Parker85' timestamp='1353499475' post='1875180']
Thinking about picking this book up, just wondering if it includes tab or is notation only? Thanks.
[/quote]
Judging by Joe's other books I would guess (hope) that it's all notation. Let's be honest...you don't
get any information about the harmony in tabs.

Also,just out of interest,I'm another one who doesn't really bother with the CD's that come with books. If all
the information is present on the page (it usually is),you (I) don't need to listen to it to be able to learn it.

• 1 month later...

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]There is NO tablature in my books as learning tab is a superfluous skill. It was actually brought into public awareness in the 80’s by guitar magazines and music book publishers with only one aim in mind- to make more sales! You will never use or be given tab in a professional scenario- never. It has also dumbed down most up and coming rock players because it takes the onus off of developing your ears. I recently saw a post on a popular bass forum where some guy said, “Urgent- need tabs for Jumpin’ Jack Flash as I have a gig at the end of the week where I’ll have to play that.” These are sad times when the average guy doesn’t want to take the time to figure out simple tunes out by ear. [/color]

[color=#000000]All the Bass[/color][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][color=#000000]Joe[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' timestamp='1358677211' post='1943033']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]There is NO tablature in my books as learning tab is a superfluous skill. ....[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]All the Bass[/color][/font]

[/quote]

HOORAYYY!!!! [b]Thank you SOOO much!![/b] You've just sold this book to me by this one fact.
I've been using a few books and keep finding the same problem... I can't ignore the tabs.

Most recently I've been using Stuart Clayton's Crash Bass course. Yesterday I was playing:

0 0, change string, 3 2, change string, 0 0.....
I then got to feel like floging the F***g bass. What's the point of playing by numbers. I don't even know what notes I'm playing!
OK the staves are there, but my eyes go straight to the tabs and I've stopped learning the fretboard! IMHO if you don't know the notes you're playing then you can't rally play the instrument, and you're no musician.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1358707422' post='1943762']
HOORAYYY!!!! [b]Thank you SOOO much!![/b] You've just sold this book to me by this one fact.
I've been using a few books and keep finding the same problem... I can't ignore the tabs.

Most recently I've been using Stuart Clayton's Crash Bass course. Yesterday I was playing:

0 0, change string, 3 2, change string, 0 0.....
I then got to feel like floging the F***g bass. What's the point of playing by numbers. I don't even know what notes I'm playing!
OK the staves are there, but my eyes go straight to the tabs and I've stopped learning the fretboard! IMHO if you don't know the notes you're playing then you can't rally play the instrument, and you're no musician.
[/quote]

I'd like to point out here that I completely agree with Joe on the subject of TAB. It is unnecessary, and exists only to sell books. I don't use it in my own theory books (those published through Bassline Publishing), but I was TOLD to use it for the book that you mention. When I wrote that book I was under contract with Sanctuary Publishing, and despite my protestations, they insisted on TAB being included.

Stuart

[quote name='Joe Hubbard Bass' timestamp='1358677211' post='1943033']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]There is NO tablature in my books as learning tab is a superfluous skill. It was actually brought into public awareness in the 80’s by guitar magazines and music book publishers with only one aim in mind- to make more sales! You will never use or be given tab in a professional scenario- never. It has also dumbed down most up and coming rock players because it takes the onus off of developing your ears. I recently saw a post on a popular bass forum where some guy said, “Urgent- need tabs for Jumpin’ Jack Flash as I have a gig at the end of the week where I’ll have to play that.” These are sad times when the average guy doesn’t want to take the time to figure out simple tunes out by ear. [/color]

[color=#000000]All the Bass[/color][/font]

[/quote]

Thanks Joe....I've been saying this for ages.