Why become a member? ×

How to remove dents??

TheGreek

[attachment=99603:DSC03825.jpg]

How would I get this dent out of a neck - I (vaguely) remember using a soldering iron and a wet cloth on a something similar back when I was at school but don't remember the details..it was 30 years ago..

Anybody help??

Many thanks in advance..

That sounds like dan Erlwine's technique to treat digs, iron or soldering iron with damp tea towel, steam passes into the grain of the wood causing it to swell and 'pop' the dent out again. Never been brave enough to try it. That looks like a sharp dint. Is the lacquer surface broken?

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1328829122' post='1533567']
That sounds like dan Erlwine's technique to treat digs, iron or soldering iron with damp tea towel, steam passes into the grain of the wood causing it to swell and 'pop' the dent out again. Never been brave enough to try it. That looks like a sharp dint. Is the lacquer surface broken?
[/quote]

That's pretty much the technique you should use.

If you aren't brave enough to do that, some dents will come out by simply holding the neck over a boiling kettle. Best thing to do is to secure a couple of tea towels either side of the dent. Doesn't make sense to get all of the neck subjected to boiling water - only the area you want to treat.

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1328880291' post='1534243']
i use superglue on any little nicks in necks. just leave it set for 24 hours.file it flush and wet sand it , then get some compound polish and its done .
[/quote]

Agreed - that's the cheap and easy way to spot fill any thing that doesn't get steamed out.

It definitely works on bare wood, but I'm not sure about a lacqured neck, as Dood days the idea of lacquer is to keep the moisture out.
The idea being that the steam (moisture) makes the dented wood expand and go back to it's original shape before it got compressed or squashed by the object which damaged it. The wood usually feels a bit rough to the touch afterwards and will need sanding down a bit.
If youi try it, let us know if it works out ok through the lacquer

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1328880291' post='1534243']
i use superglue on any little nicks in necks. just leave it set for 24 hours.file it flush and wet sand it , then get some compound polish and its done .
[/quote]yep. Or drop fill with laquer if it's a nitro finish. Poly and acrylic wont take touch ups very well so the glue thing is about your best bet. DO NOT use a wet towel and hot iron on a laquered finish. The grain around the area will expand and cracks will abound.