Why become a member? ×

Tool-sounding overdrive!

lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1328739514' post='1532085'] Anyone have a good one-pedal solution for the tone in "Schism"? I'm thinking the Aguilar Agro would work well at a low saturation level. [/quote]

Only if you have a blend pedal. I found the Agro to be really weak sounding at low gain, and its pretty useless all round in a band mix too.

According to one article that I've read, he has the Turbo Rat and A GEB-7 midrange EQ boost on at all times,
and adds other things as needed.

However, he does have seperate clean(er) and dirty channels that run parallel at all times.

Edited by lxxwj

So maybe a modelling pedal that can do a variant of those three then? Pod, Zoom B3 etc, if you want to use a single pedal solution. An idea I guess. Or something like the Line 6 X3 or Boss GT10b for a multi?

Yea one of the pods has a "Schism" clone in there. Theres about a million and three downloadable settings on the website too. I just use my Ibby phat head on the clean setting with the so called "comp" switch in position two. The extra grit comes from my m-80 which always has about 10% grit blended in. Gets close enough in my book.

IMO = Remi's tone is fantastic, but not as close as Brads (Toolbassplayer) or Dean (Toolmybass) - the reason.

Wal - so much of JC's core tone comes from the Wal! a great example of this is to look at Toolbassplayer's cover of the patient - that is pure Wal tone on the recording....And it is spot on!

When you say "schism" are you talking the main riff? As with my G&L and a sansamp Bddi I get very close to the Lateralus (album) bass tone. Remi Uses a RBI, so pretty much the same kind of effect. You can then use it to blend it a bit of grit. Also very close to the 10K days tone - but that has more"grind" and you can really hear the clean and dirty channels in the mix.

The solo in Schism is GT2 all the way with added Whammy/Flange/Delay.

Edited by blind pilot

Thing with the B3K that I've noticed in demos though is it seems like just the bass
with an extra "layer" of distortion.. maybe if I put the blend all the way up it would sound more integrated.

Remi got back to me: he recommended the Sansamp RBI and BDDI. I think I'll
order a BDDI when I have the money, see how it works out etc.

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1328906564' post='1534806']
Thing with the B3K that I've noticed in demos though is it seems like just the bass
with an extra "layer" of distortion.. maybe if I put the blend all the way up it would sound more integrated.

Remi got back to me: he recommended the Sansamp RBI and BDDI. I think I'll
order a BDDI when I have the money, see how it works out etc.
[/quote]
If money's a bit tight you could always go for BDI21 - it's a clone of the Sansamp.

Also, from way I have heard and read so far, the Zoom B3 does an insanely good Sansamp clone (with a mid knob!). This also would be cheaper than the real thing, AND with the bonus of a shedload of other effects thrown in!

EDIT: Plus you can blend your clean signal with all effects separately, AND with the entire unit at once so no need for bi-amping or signal splitting!

Edited by chrismuzz

• 4 years later...

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1457102351' post='2995380']
Ancient thread I give thee life once again..........Hartke Bass Attack Preamp has a suggested setting called Schism - sounds very close
[/quote]

I honestly think if the Attack wasn't so huge (and dare I say was released by a company better known for effects) it would outsell a lot of other pre pedals. I really liked mine when I had it. Sold to try other things. Might get another if I ever go back to a pedaltrain Jr, but I'm all about fitting things on my PT mini (or using my b3) at the minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Bigwan. It's a blindingly good pedal and the cornerstone of my live "sound". Only complaint is kicking in the shape switch is such a big db boost in level.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457107509' post='2995458']

I honestly think if the Attack wasn't so huge (and dare I say was released by a company better known for effects) it would outsell a lot of other pre pedals. I really liked mine when I had it. Sold to try other things. Might get another if I ever go back to a pedaltrain Jr, but I'm all about fitting things on my PT mini (or using my b3) at the minute.
[/quote]

Edited by stuckinthepod