Why become a member? ×

Anyone know where i can get my jazz neck bound and blocked?

tommorichards

User nugget on here has offered to carve a binding channel for me for a very reasonable price - but it's on a defretted neck which I won't be refretting. The bindings should be do-able with a Dremel if you're careful, I'd have thought? I might have a go at this on my 'practice' neck.
I'm not convinced by the stickers in photos myself, though perhaps they look better in real life. I think the stickers work much better on the VMs presumably because they're black, and under a layer of lacquer.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1328546852' post='1528839']
User nugget on here has offered to carve a binding channel for me for a very reasonable price - but it's on a defretted neck which I won't be refretting. The bindings should be do-able with a Dremel if you're careful, I'd have thought? I might have a go at this on my 'practice' neck.
I'm not convinced by the stickers in photos myself, though perhaps they look better in real life. I think the stickers work much better on the VMs presumably because they're black, and under a layer of lacquer.
[/quote]Good lad. Will be tough to keep it straight i would have thought, on a radiused board. You could probably set up a jig for the job but even then a little risky. Good luck!

I've got a set of the stick-on fake inlays on a bass, and I find them fairly unconvincing. I can see the edges clearly, and the pearloid pattern looks like a low resolution print. They do look good from a few feet away though. Mine were from a Japanese supplier, whose name I can't remember, so I can't comment on whether others are better.

Sorry for the shoddy photo, but they came good in the end!

[IMG]http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii186/Gust0o/33470a7f.jpg[/IMG]

Knowing how to apply them I think I could do a better job next time - it's all in the alignment! But they went on easy enough, and it's only with your nose against the fretboard you'd know any different.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1328459193' post='1527352']
Excellent. Take your time and apply them properly and make sure they are perfectly aligned, you'll forget they aren't the real thing after a while.
[/quote]

Got the black block markers and have just put them on my Jazz and they look pretty good. Not bad for a fiver.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by gjones

agree..that you have to look VERY closely.
And I did look pretty closely at the Sadowsky and I remain shocked.

If I am right about it being a stick-on..and I'm 95% sure I am, then that is not on on a nearly £2000 bass..!!
Black blocks are harder to determine, as well, admittedly.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1329135260' post='1537519']
Thats brilliant!! :lol:

I wonder how many nuggets are out there with these actually applied like that!!! Made my morning!! :D
[/quote]

:D He told me he's sold hundreds :) He wanted me to prove they were were wrong before sending me a correct set too!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1329136143' post='1537535']
:D He told me he's sold hundreds :) He wanted me to prove they were were wrong before sending me a correct set too!
[/quote]

Oh dear! :lol:

Some people probably just thought they were nice patterns, and had no idea of the whole roman numerals concept, you know what schools are like these days, too busy teaching about political correctness, and health and safety to worry about maths and history etc!!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1328454572' post='1527240']
He's a bit of a funny geezer though, the Roman Numerals were wrong and I had to tell him to send me another, correct, set, he asked me to pay for the postage! He said he'd sold loads of them without any complaints. I told him they are probably the same people who get a tattoo of what they think is a lovely meaningful Chinese proverb only to find out much later that it says "Pork in Black Bean Sauce and Egg Foo Yung".
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Looking at the above pic - the stickers have been supplied correct but the last 4 have just been stuck in the wrong place on the fretboard.

Wrong - 15-XV 17-XXIV 19-XVII 21-XIX 24-XXI
Right - 15-XV 17-XVII 19-XIX 21-XXI 24-XXIV

Am I missing something? Or more likely repeating the obvious?

CB

[quote name='cloudburst' timestamp='1339158166' post='1684549']
Looking at the above pic - the stickers have been supplied correct but the last 4 have just been stuck in the wrong place on the fretboard.

Wrong - 15-XV 17-XXIV 19-XVII 21-XIX 24-XXI
Right - 15-XV 17-XVII 19-XIX 21-XXI 24-XXIV

Am I missing something? Or more likely repeating the obvious?

CB
[/quote]
The widths and heights of the panels did not correspond with the numerals.

But WTF are you DOING to it?! Is there some crazy build diary I've missed?

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339150445' post='1684337']
And the mystery is solved :D

Appolagies for the quality and a small caveat: Its a 5 string neck and was rebadged but Im 99.99% sure its a VM neck!

A
[/quote]

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1339292871' post='1686579']
But WTF are you DOING to it?! Is there some crazy build diary I've missed?
[/quote]

That was taken on the CNC bed as I machined off the maple fretted fingerboard. Ive posted it here because the question was asked about whether VM Jazzes had inlay or printed blocks. I then stuck a rosewood fretless board on it. Unfortunately I havent done a diary but the end result should be interesting :D Its going to be an Uber Deluxe Full Fat XXL Jazz ;)
All will be revealed but we digress from the thread ;)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339319118' post='1686665']
All will be revealed but we digress from the thread ;)
[/quote]

Look forward to seeing the end result! Needlessy butchering a nice blocked and bound neck earns extra points as well, I like it when people aren't too precious about these things :)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1339348829' post='1687231']
Look forward to seeing the end result! Needlessy butchering a nice blocked and bound neck earns extra points as well, I like it when people aren't too precious about these things :)
[/quote]

Is this what you call being damned with faint praise? :mellow: ;)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1339357429' post='1687417']
Is this what you call being damned with faint praise? :mellow: ;)

A
[/quote]

Not at all! Just that people pay a premium for the B/B necks (I have a couple myself) and so the contrariness of merrily ripping it right off earns a respectful smile IMO.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1339363983' post='1687595']
Not at all! Just that people pay a premium for the B/B necks (I have a couple myself) and so the contrariness of merrily ripping it right off earns a respectful smile IMO.
[/quote]

And your respectful smile was matched by a knowing wink Sir :D :drinks:

A

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1339363983' post='1687595']
[/quote]

Cool :)

Well the neck had been 'mucked about with' so it wouldnt (and didnt) fetch a premium so no loss to the great Bass world. :)

A