Why become a member? ×

Building a cabinet - 2 x 12 or 1 x 15 ?

fryer

I have an old Peavey 4 x 10 cabinet, which I like the sound of, better than my Epifani UL 410. My amp has a crossover so I was thinking of building a cabinet to take the lows, with the highs going to the Peavey.

So do I go for a 2 x 12 or a 1 x 15 ?

IMO it is a great idea if you don't mind lugging around all the extra weight. I dread to say it but there is a bit of mythology on this site about mixing speakers. Using multiple drivers does affect the sound and so does mixing different drivers, whether they are the same size or not. The effects are complex but predictable and you might like the sound or not.

Mr Foxen is right though if you have a 4x10 then most 15's or even 2x12's will be lost alongside them. the first consideration is to have them operating at similar sound levels.

The key to this is your crossover. If you are feeding different signals to your two speakers then you can adjust the volumes separately to match the sound the way you want. The first question is what sort of crossover is it? Is it a full blooded electronic crossover with variable frequencies? does it have adjustable roll off? Is it just a sub out at a fixed frequency and if you use it does it cut the bass to the rest of the speakers? You do realise you will have to buy a second amp if it isn't a stereo amp.

As to speakers, don't get hung up on size. Since these are only handling the real bass and you want to get your tone from the Peaveys you are building subs. This means you want speakers that can shift a lot of air, which have long voice coils and a large surface area. This means you are looking for speakers with a long Xmax (better than 4mm, the bigger the better) and you can probably look at PA drivers as most bass instrument drivers are compromised by the need to reproduce the rest of the bass.

I'd be tempted to build the sub and try it with the Peaveys (and the Epifanis? ) If I liked the sound I might then look at a way of reducing the load by building a 1x10 or a 2x10 to make it more portable. I might even end up with a 15+10 if a single cab could give the sound i wanted.

You'll need to learn quite a lot though to design your own cabs. It's not rocket science but it is probably 'A' level physics, unless you use someone else's design. You'll get advice here. Lots of advice!

I'd build a 2x12 and use it on its own. IMO there's really no need to have a 4x10 AND a 1x15. It's just more trouble than it's worth!

Its fun to build things and you'll learn a lot while you're doing it so build a cab by all means, just don't build a 1x15 in the hope that you can use it with a 4x10 to send all the bass to. Ooh! Or do what Phil said and build a sub!

Truckstop

• 2 weeks later...

Just keep the number of speakers to a minimum. I've mucked about with multiple speaker combinations in the past to silly extremes. I came to a clear conclusion that the more speakers in the set up, the less defined the attack was. Good definition in the attack was important for pitch detection.

The idea that you need 10" speakers for 'highs' and a 15 or 18" speaker for 'lows' is pants. You can't predict the frequency-handling capabilities of a driver based on its size. If you like your Peavey, then just use that and sell your UL. Mixing driver sizes in the same rig will not improve your sound imho, and using a crossover will confuse the issue. If your 4X10 is too big or heavy for you, sell it and get a 2X10, OR a 2X12, OR a 1X15... or even a 1X12. I jammed with a metal band recently. They were LOUD (double head kit, 100W Marshall stack set to 'stun') and I easily held my own with my Bill Fitzmaurice J12 cab (1X12) and LM250...

Edited by discreet

This is a point that if the cabs aren t tuned & that if crossovers aren t tuned , as allot of them aren t , you ll get bad sound , no definition , clarity , headroom & so on .There aren t lots of good 18 inch bass cabs around , Eden stopped production of its model , Trace Elliot 1818 , I sadly never tried them but should sound great . But their s good 18 inch cabs for pa applications that can be very good also .

For me , I use custom hifi rig as a kit , tried lots of bass rigs & came to use either PA full range systems or custom biult cabs , never came back , but i must say I never tried Bag End bass cabs that are pretty good , mghit have tried these .