Why become a member? ×

Building a 100W Valve amp - undecided on name as of yet!

umph

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1328137990' post='1522668']
Look at an amp thats not a marshall or a fender, they're pretty much all laid out like how i've got it. Chassis was ebay and i drilled it all out myself and transformers were from a chap i know
[/quote]

Laney and Carlsbro do trannies at one end too. All of them are a ballpain to carry. Lots of people consider amps other than Marshall and Fender to be a myth though.

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1328137990' post='1522668']
Look at an amp thats not a marshall or a fender, they're pretty much all laid out like how i've got it. Chassis was ebay and i drilled it all out myself and transformers were from a chap i know
[/quote]

Wasnt having a pop . What I meant was most self build amp projects go for the logical in one end and out the other approach, which kinda makes sense.

Like I said, whatever works for you.

[quote name='BRANCINI' timestamp='1328177294' post='1522950']
Wasnt having a pop . What I meant was most self build amp projects go for the logical in one end and out the other approach, which kinda makes sense.

Like I said, whatever works for you.
[/quote]

haha sorry didn't mean for it to sound grumpy. Yeah i prefer it that way, looks better and is easier to keep all the noisey bits away from the input

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1328163020' post='1522796']
[b]Laney and Carlsbro do trannies at one end too[/b]. All of them are a ballpain to carry. Lots of people consider amps other than Marshall and Fender to be a myth though.
[/quote]

Yeah they do ,but there is a sound reason behind it (sorry). Sound City probably would have, but with so many valves the amp would have to be about 3 feet long... :D :D

The handle is just cosmetic, cant understand why they didnt fit one at each end to make life easier. Of course, Vox did, but then they put a tranny each end anyway.

Edited by BRANCINI

Love this thread. Looks a very nice amp. Was thinking of a name.. Capitalising on the Sheffield/Steel/Iron thing, the first thing that comes to mind is British Steel (ha ha), then I got British Power.. Hmm, Sheffield Valve Power, would be SVP, too Ampeg. How about British Valve Power? Cut down to BVP.

haha good selection of names, keep em coming!

work hasn't stopped, i just decided to make some changes, gonna add a bias meter on the back and bias pots and also some outputs so you can monitor the bias with your dvm so you don't have to get it out of the case to adjust the bias.

Might add a meter on the front to to show how many watts you're doing.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1328354345' post='1525837']
Heard this beast last night, it sounds immense! Really big sound and a kind of low growl that reminded me a bit of the bass sound on 'Dopethrone'.
[/quote]

nice thanks dude, was listening to dope throne on vinyl yesterday, it's a pretty awesome sound

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1329229114' post='1539133']
Nooo, you need to have one of those little hand cranked sirens that you have to operate before depressing said plunger and turning the key.
[/quote]

Ofcourse!! Cyanide pill optional?

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1329207282' post='1538615']
Followed by a warning light and siren coming on?
[/quote]

You do stuff like this.. Always wanted to play this, cant understand why more covers bands dont do it, could even become the new Alright Now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgrYf7VWASE[/media]

Edited by BRANCINI