Why become a member? ×

The very complicated £200 Bass Challenge (with Sound Samples)

Sean

My friend, who is the guitarist in the covers band I play in, has challenged me to find and buy a bass that I can use as my main instrument for a year. He has laid down a lot of conditions that prevent me from, for example, going out and buying a Squier VM Jazz or similar great value for money instrument that would easily cut the mustard.

You might not agree with the rules but I think they are reasonable and that this challenge, despite my pickiness, is very achieveable. I'm looking for my fellow basschatters to help and advise here and possibly even offer me a bass that they might have for sale...

[color=#0000cd][b]His rules are:[/b][/color][list=1]
[*][color=#000000][b][u]Budget £200 [/u][/b][/color][color=#0000cd][b]- this is to include cost of bass and includes any post-purchase modifications, like new pups or bridge or preamp or whatever. Adding a Hipshot X-tender lies outside the budget; I need one and we agreed it is unreasonable to constrain the challenge because of this. I can't exceed the £200 with import charges/taxes etc. Delivery is not included in the £200, so that makes it a bit easier.[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]All purchases within £200 budget can be second hand if needed (Duh!)[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]The bass must be made of a recognised traditional tonewood, no Poplar or "modern nonsense woods". He was on the fence about Basswood though. He says Ash, Swamp Ash, Alder, mahog are what he expects.[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]The bass must be of "traditional" design - this is very open to interpretation but I know he excludes headless bats, pointy metal type instruments.[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]The bass must suit the style of band we are - this is easy, we play funky rock covers, Chili Peppers, Rage, Audioslave and lots of other stuff. P, J, MM style basses will fit in no problemo![/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]I have to be absolutely happy with it for gigging - This has implications inasmuch as I wouldn't be happy with a Westone Thunder because when on the strap it hangs like a Warwick and fret 1 is too far away for my own comfort.[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]Here's a tough one: it must have been manufactured in one of the following countries: USA, UK, Germany, Japan, Korea (before 2000) or any current member of the EU![/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]If the bass is sold with accessories like a case, strap, lead or whatever I can sell them on afterward to get the price down by however much they are sold for however I cannot remove any parts of the bass, e.g. removing a Badass and replacing with a cheaper bridge.[/b][/color]

[*][color=#0000cd][b]Timescale is by 1st March 2012[/b][/color]
[/list]
One of my own rules here is that it will have to be under 10 lbs, anything heavier just plays hell with my back and shoulders as a gigging instrument so something like an Ibanez Blazer or Roadster becomes near impossible sadly.

I've been trawling Ebay and have seen a Westone Spectrum, which looks very hair metal mullet-ish but not much else. If there was ever a time for Captain Jap Crap to come back it's now.

So...

What do you think? Ideas?

Edited by Sean

Oh dear, I was going to say get a Blazer, but I've been looking for another one for a few weeks and havent seen any crop up! But seeing as you don't want one of those, nevermind, eh?

See if you can find an OLP Stingray. They're normally really good and I've seen a few go for around £150 leaving you with a bit of cash to get a better pickup innit.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1327621948' post='1514517']

See if you can find an OLP Stingray. They're normally really good and I've seen a few go for around £150 leaving you with a bit of cash to get a better pickup innit.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Where were the OLPs made and when? If they are Chinese, Indonesian or Korean-post-2000 they're a no go. I think I'm pretty much stuck with old JapCrap or a very few obscure other things.

Well, the Aria Laser that I just sold, for £200 shipped to your door, with a free set of brand new DR strings thrown in, would have ticked all those requirements off, no problem. If you want to go into a bit more detail about previous basses you've used, and the sound you want to achieve, I'll come up with a list of ten Japanese built basses that would work.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327622198' post='1514521']
I bought a P/J squire for £90

.2 Dimarzio s/h replacement pups = £60.

total £150

my talent to bring the best out of it = free ;)

That's it. I'm gigging it tomorrow cos it feels and sounds the way I want it.

Way too much emphasis on expensive equipment.
[/quote]

I'd agree. Is it a pre-2000 Korean Squier?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327622311' post='1514523']
Well, the Aria Laser that I just sold, for £200 shipped to your door, with a free set of brand new DR strings thrown in, would have ticked all those requirements off, no problem. If you want to go into a bit more detail about previous basses you've used, and the sound you want to achieve, I'll come up with a list of ten Japanese built basses that would work.
[/quote]

Check my sig for the current stable. Over the years I've mainly played P, PJ, J, MM style pickup configs and normal Fender-derived body shapes. As far as sound goes, I like to cut through the mix and have some articulation in my sound, probably why I prefer a PJ to a P. Sorry to be so vague but passive PJ config is my favourite and I let my fingers and amp do the work I guess.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1327621680' post='1514513'][list=1]
[*]The bass [b]must[/b] be made of a recognised traditional tonewood, no Poplar or "modern nonsense woods". He was on the fence about Basswood though. He says Ash, Swamp Ash, Alder, mahog are what he expects.
[/list]
[/quote]

Fender made guitars out of poplar, its pretty interchangeable with alder. Can't really get more traditional that what Fender use.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1327622358' post='1514525']
I'd agree. Is it a pre-2000 Korean Squier?
[/quote]

I think it's an older one. ? Don't look at such things. I decide it's going to have to work no matter what and that is it.
As another post stated, its more about the electronics. And of course the will to make good music.
. Don't stress over this and that and which and what so much!

Well, if you're talking Precision and Jazz clones, then start looking at Columbus, Joodee, El Maya and factories like Guyatone, Yamaki, Kawai. The likes of a Columbus Precision copy, even at the bottom of the range, would have a body made with eight pieces of Sen, and a good chunk of maple for a neck. Pickups? Often made by Maxon, Goto(h), DiMarzio.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1327621680' post='1514513']
....He has laid down a lot of conditions that prevent me from, for example, going out and buying a Squier VM Jazz or similar great value for money instrument that would easily cut the mustard....
[/quote]
I know very little about cheap basses.... so why can't you get a used Squire?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327623930' post='1514544']
Well, if you're talking Precision and Jazz clones, then start looking at Columbus, Joodee, El Maya and factories like Guyatone, Yamaki, Kawai. The likes of a Columbus Precision copy, even at the bottom of the range, would have a body made with eight pieces of Sen, and a good chunk of maple for a neck. Pickups? Often made by Maxon, Goto(h), DiMarzio.
[/quote]

Know anything else that comes with a Sen body, my JV has one and the old cimar jazz I had had one and they sounded amazing. Man I wish i still had that bass- only cost me £70, new bridge and it was so so good. sold it to a mate- wish I wasn't so nice

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1327624257' post='1514547']Get a Yamaha BB414...[/quote]
More bang for the buck going for older BB models, either of the BB200 or BB300 on eBay at the moment would do a better job. If the OP goes for a big-name company, such as Yamaha, he should be looking at the bottom of the range from the late 70s all the way through the 80s. Either that or the lesser factories/makes of the day, like Columbus, Cimar (as mentioned), Kay, etc.

Easy - provided the p-ups are still serviceable, I'd have no problem recommending one of these:

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105035926/vintage-csl-jazz-bass.html

From what I understand it's basically an Ibanez but branded CSL (Charles Summerfield LTD) by the UK importer. Quirky headstock, block inlays, 70s Japanese manufacture. What's not to like?!

I have one which is possibly a bit newer than this one, here it is:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3021453/1/jbits?h=6646bd

and being played here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiPsO-aXy0

Bought it for £100, upgraded the p-ups to Fender '62 RI's and fitted a second hand Schaller 3D bridge, so you could do with knocking off a few quid if you really have your heart set on upgrades.

If the one linked to in the ad above plays half as well as mine, well, you'll be a very happy man indeed...

[quote name='waldemar' timestamp='1327625907' post='1514578']From what I understand it's basically an Ibanez but branded CSL (Charles Summerfield LTD) by the UK importer.[/quote]
The common misconception. Built in some of the factories that also built for Ibanez, but nothing to do with the corporations that held the rights to the Ibanez name. CSL models usually differed from the Ibanez counterparts, not only in minor cosmetic ways, but often in the materials used and featured significantly cheaper hardware and pickups/electrics. That said, CSL is exactly the sort of brand that would tick all the boxes.

[quote name='waldemar' timestamp='1327625907' post='1514578']
Easy - provided the p-ups are still serviceable, I'd have no problem recommending one of these:

[url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105035926/vintage-csl-jazz-bass.html"]http://www.preloved....-jazz-bass.html[/url]

From what I understand it's basically an Ibanez but branded CSL (Charles Summerfield LTD) by the UK importer. Quirky headstock, block inlays, 70s Japanese manufacture. What's not to like?!

I have one which is possibly a bit newer than this one, here it is:

[url="http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3021453/1/jbits?h=6646bd"]http://www.dropbox.c.../jbits?h=6646bd[/url]

and being played here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiPsO-aXy0[/media]

Bought it for £100, upgraded the p-ups to Fender '62 RI's and fitted a second hand Schaller 3D bridge, so you could do with knocking off a few quid if you really have your heart set on upgrades.

If the one linked to in the ad above plays half as well as mine, well, you'll be a very happy man indeed...
[/quote]

hey! I was just looking at that advert, deeply tempting thing. it's too far for me to convince him to post and talk him down in price I think :)

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1327623060' post='1514539']
. Don't stress over this and that and which and what so much!
[/quote]

I'm not stressing; it's a game with rules, it's a challenge that's interesting ;)
[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1327623930' post='1514544']
[/quote]
Thanks! I now have a load of new eBay search words :D
[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1327624257' post='1514547']
Get a Yamaha BB414...
[/quote]
As an owner of a BB415, BB2024x and BB2025x I would get on with a BB414 like a house on fire. Read the rules though, The BB414 is a Taiwanese bass.
[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1327624498' post='1514549']
I know very little about cheap basses.... so why can't you get a used Squire?
[/quote]
I could if it was Japanese or pre-2000 Korean.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='waldemar' timestamp='1327625907' post='1514578']

[url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105035926/vintage-csl-jazz-bass.html"]http://www.preloved....-jazz-bass.html[/url]

[/quote]
That's quite cool. I bet it weighs a ton? An old Jap bass really does appeal and would be a real trip down memory lane; I had a Cimar when I was in schoool.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1327627678' post='1514589']
+1 for a yamaha!
[/quote]

An old BB is top of the list and it would be happy living with its grandchildren at my house :huh: but they they do seem to fetch well over £200 quid.

I bought a well used/damaged but playable Ibanez ATK700 for £150 a couple of years back. I Intended to refinish it and keep it as my MM sound bas, but i haven't touched it more than twice - if it fits the bill you can have it at that money + postage...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1327651225' post='1514643']
I bought a well used/damaged but playable Ibanez ATK700 for £150 a couple of years back. I Intended to refinish it and keep it as my MM sound bas, but i haven't touched it more than twice - if it fits the bill you can have it at that money + postage...
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer. I had an ATK400 for a while and it sounded glorious but the neck was way too chunky for me :-(