Why become a member? ×

Precision Body... Fender ? Tokai ? Other ?

Ghost Rider

[size=5]Greetings everyone, I bought a P - Body off BC a while back & was hoping someone on here could identify the make...[/size]

[size=5]I have had it looked at by two very well know members of BC & there thoughts are that it is either an Early 80's Fender or a Tokai Hard-Puncher.[/size]

[size=5]One is leaning more to it being a Hardpuncher due to the blue color of the cavity & one thinks its fender due to the routing. [/size]

[size=5]My mate took apart one of my fender precisions & all the parts dropped straight into the body, thats why he thinks its a Fender[/size]

[size=5]Any thoughts would be appreicated...[/size]

[size=5]Thanks, Anth.[/size]

Edited by Ghost Rider

I have a fantastic mystery 70s "japcrap" P bass (possibly Hondo) which has the same hole arrangement at the bridge as yours ie. two extra front ones - a Fender bridge fits right on without any extra drilling though.
The big difference to a Fender for mine though is although the tr adjuster is at the same end it has a closer arrangement of neck bolt holes ... oh and it's a 1 piece.

Does a Fender pickguard's fit perfectly onto yours without showing any of the control rout and all the screw holes match up? That's a good sign to look out for.

It looks like yours has holes for a pup ashtray but not a bridge so maybe it was an afterthought.

Do Tokais have tugbars like your has had?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1327391800' post='1510318']Does a Fender pickguard's fit perfectly onto yours without showing any of the control rout and all the screw holes match up? That's a good sign to look out for.[/quote]

Maybe it's not more of an indicator of a Fender though. Fender bits and bobs - especially the pickguard - fit my old Maya P bass copy without any issues.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327396237' post='1510381']
doubt tokai, didn't they have 5 bolt bridges?
end of a day, it's a lump of wood- doesn't matter who made it!
[/quote]
Very helpful:) I've seen this type of routing on a fender before. I think you are right to assume the cavity colouring is an indicator of the source. It's a not often seen colour and I'm sure the whole guitar was this colour at some stage. I would go to the fender officialforum. Those guys eat and sleep fenders. You should have an answer either way pretty fast.

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1327394324' post='1510344']
Maybe it's not more of an indicator of a Fender though. Fender bits and bobs - especially the pickguard - fit my old Maya P bass copy without any issues.
[/quote]
Same with my mystery Jap and many more besides but my suggestion could still help the guy if it doesn't. :rolleyes:

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1327399947' post='1510451']
Very helpful:) I've seen this type of routing on a fender before. I think you are right to assume the cavity colouring is an indicator of the source. It's a not often seen colour and I'm sure the whole guitar was this colour at some stage. I would go to the fender officialforum. Those guys eat and sleep fenders. You should have an answer either way pretty fast.
[/quote]
To be fair that colour, although it could be original, could have been applied at any time. It's obviously had some fairly invasive surgery to date (ie the wiring gouge and that chunk chopped out for the tr adjuster) so someone's obviously had a "hands on" go.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1327400710' post='1510464']

To be fair that colour, although it could be original, could have been applied at any time. It's obviously had some fairly invasive surgery to date (ie the wiring gouge and that chunk chopped out for the tr adjuster) so someone's obviously had a "hands on" go.
[/quote]
Very true.

Thanks for all the input guys... I was hoping it was going to be something out of this world but its looking not so :(

If it were something great then I was going to spend a bit on a neck but if its an avarage body then I may just get a cheap neck...

I was told by a fellow BC that 90% of the sound is to do with the neck ??? (Not sure if this is right as I am not that clued up)

I have got some EMG active PUPS to go in, a set of Hipshot reverse tuners for the neck & a Fender Mex Bridge.

The body does a have tone to it according to my mate cd_david (Basschat King) so he thinks it defo worth saving...

Thanks all once again & any more info/thoughts would be cool.

Anth

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1327531138' post='1513105']
Mine doesn't.The scratchplate has holes for them,as well as the pick up cover,but not the body.Also,my [b]Tokai is definately not a one piece body.[/b]
[/quote]

neither is this

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1328346622' post='1525716']
I would still be tempted to fit it up with a decent neck, assuming that I liked the body whether it was Fender or not.
[/quote]

This. Heresy I know, but IMHO the body wood just isn't that important. What is important are the pickups, electrics and whether the neck plays well or not. If you stick a cheap neck on an average body you will get a cheap, average bass. Is that what you want? Is it?? ;)

Edited by discreet

My thoughts too. Your hands interact with the neck, while the sound is [i]mainly[/i] due to the electronics (see other thread where pickups were mounted onto an old plank).

I have a Jazz with a Mighty Mite licensed neck and some cheap, ill-fitting body, but it's one of the nicest feeling basses I have.