Why become a member? ×

Westone Thunder 1 on the bay

simon73

Found this on the "bay" wondered what everyone thought!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WESTONE-Thunder-I-Bass-1984-Matsumoku-Japan-Classic_W0QQitemZ300112133761QQihZ020QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WESTONE-Thunder-I-Ba...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

They've got a reputation as good solid workmanlike basses. Personally I'd think £150 is pretty close to its value as it is.

Alternatively.... [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320112800763&rd=1&rd=1"]Aria SB-700[/url]. This is the passive version of the SB-1000. One to watch.

Pete

I'd say £130 for a Thunder 1 = good price, £150 = fair price, over that a bit too much really.
The Aria is a beauty, I have it in red and it plays like a dream. Anyone ever sees a fretless version of this please give me the heads up!

There's a Thunder 1 Bass for sale in the Cash Generator store in Nuneaton, Warks - saw it about two hours ago. That's priced at £99.99. Didn't look in bad nick - it's natural just like the one on the 'bay.

So maybe £150 is a bit steep or the one in sunny Nunny is a bargain.

Mart

Cracking basses. Used to have a Thunder 1A, until some kindly person nicked it.
Was never a great fan of the body shape myself - very eighties, but soundwise akin to a good Precision. Definitely a good recording bass. Construction of these is good as well, could probably survive a nuclear attack. As per previous post, an excellent workhorse. IMHO well worth a ton.

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='1769' date='May 18 2007, 09:39 PM']John,

It was a '1' mate.

I didn't pick her up so I can't say how she handles old boy, but for less than a ton and if you're looking for one....well......it's got to be worth a try, hasn't it?

All the best,

Mart[/quote]

Cheers Mart nice one!

Whilst we're on the topic of Thunders, The Bass Gallery in Camden has a 1A in the window at the moment. I asked on Saturday how much & was told Er... dunno, it's not on the system... probably about £100.

Their number... 020 7267 5458

They also had a mint Aria SB-1000 in Dark Oak for the princely sum of £850 - ouch!

You Westone fetishists will likely be interested in the Thunder II on the Bay at the mo:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290118528587&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]

Jon.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='4074' date='May 22 2007, 12:28 AM']Whilst we're on the topic of Thunders, The Bass Gallery in Camden has a 1A in the window at the moment. I asked on Saturday how much & was told Er... dunno, it's not on the system... probably about £100.

Their number... 020 7267 5458

They also had a mint Aria SB-1000 in Dark Oak for the princely sum of £850 - ouch![/quote]

My Aria sb-1000 cost me £120 in 1989 (and it was just like that one!) I have owned both and the Westone is better. The main problem with the Aria was the weight and I always felt the balance was not completely right in the instrument. Don't get me wrong, I did love it at the time but when I look at it I know I look at it through rose tinted glasses. I would not want to be having that thing around my neck for any length of time again. I get neck problems now, I loved the Aria bass at the time but it was cumbersome. However, it did have a good range of tones (as I remember).

[quote name='simon73' post='4355' date='May 22 2007, 02:08 PM']Its a lovely bass, looks like it has been look after. I would prefer the iiia, but then again I know lots of people who would.[/quote]
The only difference is the pickup configuration. 2xP might be interesting.

J.

• 4 years later...

I payed 80 for an average, but playable and decent sounding 1A... a mate sprung 150 for a mint 1 and it is amazing, blows mine out of the water, gorgeous neck and plays like butter. So it depends on what one you get is what I'm saying.

Mine is soon to be retired for an incoming 4003. Been fun but will be glad to kick that 1A to the curb. Those headstocks, mamma mia. :facepalm: