Why become a member? ×

SX Bass Guitars

yorks5stringer

I've just had a long conversation with the importer of SX bass guitars into this country.
I pointed out there were a large number of UK bassists personally importing from the USA because they could not get the SX Basses they wanted over here.
He says they do bring 8000 over a year, many under the Jim Deacon brand and there are a network of Dealers in this country who stock them.
I made a plea for the more Vintage type ones, both P & J types and the 5 stringers too.
I am speaking to one of the Jim Deacon Dealers tomorrow around this subject so watch this space.
It would be good to be able to order an SX from this country, get a guarantee and support a local music shop.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='168909' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:25 AM']I've just had a long conversation with the importer of SX bass guitars into this country.
I pointed out there were a large number of UK bassists personally importing from the USA because they could not get the SX Basses they wanted over here.
He says they do bring 8000 over a year, many under the Jim Deacon brand and there are a network of Dealers in this country who stock them.
I made a plea for the more Vintage type ones, both P & J types and the 5 stringers too.
I am speaking to one of the Jim Deacon Dealers tomorrow around this subject so watch this space.
It would be good to be able to order an SX from this country, get a guarantee and support a local music shop.[/quote]

Rats! then everyone will know its a 100 quid bass :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='169355' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:25 PM']Sweet, i'd rather like one of those SX jazzes with the flame tops and gold hardware, a guy on here said it didn't sound fantastic but i'm sure if i slapped some SD basslines or barts or something in it it would have a bit more thump :)[/quote]

they feels and sounds OK ( especially with new pups and strings ) but they are USUALLY ( saying "usually" to stop some angry perfect SX owner from ambush me ) constructed badly with lousy hardware, so in the end, you have to change EVERYTHING and to adjust that neck every couple of weeks in order to have decent bass. and you better keep it,as you'll never get money you invested back once you want to sell it.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='169355' date='Apr 3 2008, 07:25 PM']Sweet, i'd rather like one of those SX jazzes with the flame tops and gold hardware, a guy on here said it didn't sound fantastic but i'm sure if i slapped some SD basslines or barts or something in it it would have a bit more thump :)[/quote]

Read the small print too 'cos some of the bling ones say "actual bass has chrome rather than gold hardware" or whatever ..

[quote name='dr1' post='169440' date='Apr 3 2008, 09:04 PM']they feels and sounds OK ( especially with new pups and strings ) but they are USUALLY ( saying "usually" to stop some angry perfect SX owner from ambush me ) constructed badly with lousy hardware, so in the end, you have to change EVERYTHING and to adjust that neck every couple of weeks in order to have decent bass. and you better keep it,as you'll never get money you invested back once you want to sell it.[/quote]

No ambush here. They are cheap basses, no question and no argument. The woods are Ok though and my one's neck is stable (but I use light strings). Not heard of anyone else needed to do neck tweaks regularly ....

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Machines' post='253806' date='Aug 3 2008, 05:25 PM']Old thread bump... but.

I played a Jim Deacon P bass today for £99.. and it was really good. Cream with red tort pickguard, looked great. If I get the spare cash and this Hohner doesn't work out I might get one.[/quote]

Yeah they are good ...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone long time lurker, new member here, apologies for the bump, I've decided to take a pop at one of these SX Bass Guitars, since the hype has sucked me in, just about to order one from Rondo overseas, so I'll let you know what comes out of this.

Heres my new Baby, who will be known as Betsy II, since poor old Betsy I was stolen from me.

Price is $109.95
Shipping $88.00

I have a Jim Deacon Music Man type bass,natural finish,flame maple neck and maple board,(which has never needed more than the initial adjustment since i bought it for £60,four years ago),i re-shaped the headstock the same as a telecaster bass, because the original shape,which was similar to a Music Man head shape,but with four on a side tuners,just didnt look right imo.I also added a Duncan ,MM style pickup and changed the tone pot,now it plays and sounds good,and has been gigged a lot as my spare bass.Obviously it will never replace my custom built Jazz,but it's put me off buying a Precision.I've allways been a fan of good cheap basses,using 60's and 70's Fenders and Gibsons,when a 60's Precision was £300,i,ve even gigged modded Westfields and Encore's in the past,and found Jim deacon's to be better built than most,especially for the price.Really fancy getting a couple of Precisions and Modding them,one along the lines of Billy Sheehan's "the wife" ?,much less heartwrenching than doing it to a real Precision,but with the same end result.

[quote name='SickPuppy' post='268162' date='Aug 22 2008, 09:56 PM']I'd consider the getting a few too, the fun thing about that for me anyway is, you get an original sound, and one of the reasons I love bass so much, what would you plan on doing?[/quote]

sunburst - eb3 in the neck,precision in the middle,jazz in the bridge,badass bridge,schaller machines

black - mirror scratch plate,another jazz pup alongside the bridge one,switch for single or both on together,badass,schallers

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Matt the phrexian' post='283070' date='Sep 13 2008, 09:59 AM']You guys do know that Sx basses are already imported into this country. Look for shine. They're the same thing.[/quote]
Yeah but they are different, as are the SX basses that are sold in "packs" with an amp.
The Jim Deacons are probaly the same as the good SX P basses ..
They do lack the mystery of teh headstock decal though :) "Handcrafted Custom Series" :huh:

Edited by OldGit

[quote]You guys do know that Sx basses are already imported into this country. Look for shine. They're the same thing.[/quote]

I am pretty sure they are not related.

SX are Chinese made and originate from [url="http://www.teamintlco.com"]http://www.teamintlco.com[/url]

Shine are Korean and come from [url="http://www.saein.co.kr"]http://www.saein.co.kr[/url]

Paul.

Edited by paul h

[quote name='Matt the phrexian' post='283070' date='Sep 13 2008, 09:59 AM']You guys do know that Sx basses are already imported into this country. Look for shine. They're the same thing.[/quote]

They're not the same thing.

The factory that makes SX also make the Jim Deacons....but to confuse things even further, some JD's are made via EMD, in a different factory.

I have an unbranded Jazz bass which is clearly an SX made JD, which has a Gotoh bridge, Barts and up until recently, an Audere pre. With a set of GHS Brite Flats it sounds amazing.

D.