Why become a member? ×

Advice on cab comparisons please

lovetheblues

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing one of two used cabs, and I am wondering which (if either) would best suit my style of music. For those of you familar with either, or preferably, both these cabs, I am wondering what you think.

Cab 1: Ampeg SVT Classic 410 BE, USA made, 8 ohms, 500 watts (sealed)

Cab 2: Avatar B410 with the ceramic magnets, 8 ohms, 1400 watts (ported)

I play through an Ampeg PF 500 head, and usually play blues, motown, blues-rock, and jazz.

Also, any tests or checks that I should do for these cabs I check them out?

Thanks much!

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by lovetheblues

I love Ampeg cabs, and have had an SVT 410HE, though this was prior to having my PF500. If using it as a standalone cab, the only thing I would consider is how loud is your band. I point this out as Ampeg cabs aren`t the loudest cabs out there - though I`d love to have one of these again as a standalone, I just can`t lift that weight anymore.

I`ve no experience with Avatar cabs at all, aside from they have great customer service - I sent them a query, and the response was great.

When I bought my PF500 I tried it through an Ampeg cab, and it ws just soooooo nice. If you like Ampeg sound, I`d try the HE out first, then try to stop grinning!

Or..if you are widening the search, try a SWR Goliath ll..or even a lll.
SH cheap as chips and an even better cab for that.

IME...bang for buck £300 for a SWR G ll in GC is THE deal out there.
You have to like big 410's but then the Ampeg is no lightweight...and you should know the sound is clean and
therefore not so forgiving up close...( know the sound ) but the bass end can be awesome.

They pop up here pretty often, I'd say.

I'd go with the Ampeg out of those two, definitely best for the more trad sounds you're into.
I'd also agree that bang for buck the SWR Goliath II is THE best 4x10 you'll get for under £300.
Its taken me 15 years to find something that comes close, and that has 12" not 10" speakers in it - and still not quite as much Low end.
As a shameless plug, if you're interested in a genuinely roadworn SWR Goliath II (1200w into 4ohms) PM me -
I am thinking of selling mine in the next couple of weeks! :)

Hmm. Ampeg will be super cheap over in the US, but then again, check out the new Genz Focuslite 4x10. The price will be excellent and so will the service and reliability.

If I had to buy another 4x10 myself, I'd buy an Aguilar DB410. Heavy, but stunning.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1326757853' post='1501722']
Hmm. Ampeg will be super cheap over in the US, but then again, check out the new Genz Focuslite 4x10. The price will be excellent and so will the service and reliability.

If I had to buy another 4x10 myself, I'd buy an Aguilar DB410. Heavy, but stunning.
[/quote]

I have a pair of DB210's and DB's by name, DB's by nature. :lol: :lol:

Hey all - thanks so much for your thoughts! The SWR sounds tempting, but from what I've been reading around, you need some power to drive those cabs - 500+ into 8 ohms is what people are recommending to really make use of the cab. I only get 300 at 8 ohms from the PF 500 head, so I'm not sure thats the one for me at this point. The Genz Benz also looks great, but out of my price range right now.

Cheers!

I'll second what JTUK says. I've had my SWR for years and years and used everything from a 50W Sound City valve head to a 350w Hartke (originally this gave me 200w into 8 ohms until I upgraded the drivers to make it a 4 ohm cab) I have never run out of headroom, even playing large venues.

Its worth noting that mine is a Goliath ii (before Fender came along) and I can't speak for the more modern ones Goliath iii etc. I have heard that they are not so good after the accountants paid a visit to the design studio, so maybe the more modern ones are less efficient...

Maybe...

My feeling with SWR was that they started out as a small but top drawer outfit for pro bass monitors.
Once Fender came along and shifted manufactoring costs..and possibly locations, then the pro product element got diluted somewhat.
I certainly regard the amps along these lines.

The SWR Goliath ll was a stonking cab and can still hold its own today, IMO... but you might not be too keen to lug it around.
How they stack up now is a consideration, possibIy, ............ I doubt the design spec has down-graded so much but the component spec may well have.

I didn't think my Goliath jnr lll was as good as the Goliath ll, for sure.

SWR and Eden both went the same way, IMO...great to start with..and swept all before them..but they don't do that now...IMO.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1327058856' post='1505748']
....My Goliath ii says 'Designed by EDEN' on it just below the input socket....
[/quote]
David Nordschow designed cabs for SWR and made the 10" speakers for Mesa Boogie before starting Eden.