Why become a member? ×

Lakland Joe Osborn Flats or GHS Precision Flats in the UK?

wateroftyne

• 9 months later...

Bloody love 'em... best strings ever!

I'm stockpiling. ha ha.

To recap... they feel like the 760FLs - maybe [i]slightly[/i] more substantial, but no more tense - but they definitely have more going on in the mids. No zing - just clarity.

They're just lovely to play. Very responsive, and they growl lovely when you want 'em to...

Fretted:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGQ8Ci1XZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyGQ8Ci1XZI[/url]

Fretless:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvc1vcFGGY0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvc1vcFGGY0[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1352716014' post='1866355']
To recap... they feel like the 760FLs - maybe [i]slightly[/i] more substantial, but no more tense - but they definitely have more going on in the mids. No zing - just clarity. They're just lovely to play. Very responsive, and they growl lovely when you want 'em to...
[/quote]

That sounds perfect! Thanks very much for coming back so quickly! B)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1353507401' post='1875352']
I've now fitted these to my 70 fretless and my Sandberg PJ5. Very very nice, not so fast out the packet as the La Bellas, but they wear in quickly and just sound great. And two sets for just over the price of one La Bella? No brainer!!!
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips on these strings.
I just put some of the GHS Precisions on yesterday before practice and wonder how long they take to break -in?. I'm finding them a lot slower than the La Bellas as you mentioned, the stickiness and also very dark in sound with a lot of top missing compared to the La Bella's! I don't want to give up on them just yet.. just wonder if the sound will change?

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1354174261' post='1882955']
Thanks for the tips on these strings.
I just put some of the GHS Precisions on yesterday before practice and wonder how long they take to break -in?. I'm finding them a lot slower than the La Bellas as you mentioned, the stickiness and also very dark in sound with a lot of top missing compared to the La Bella's! I don't want to give up on them just yet.. just wonder if the sound will change?
[/quote]

I've never tried La Bellas, but I can say that the GHSs will not get any brighter - if anything they will get less bright and more mellow with age.
I don't find them sticky when new, but they probably do get a bit smoother over time.

Which gauge are you using?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1354187395' post='1883184']
Did you try the Laklands?
[/quote]

No they were the GHS Precisions with the purple silks. I thought they were supposed to be much the sameness?
Bit gutted to be honest, I was expecting something more after waiting to try these strings for so long. They may be good with a pick, but far too dark for me with fingers.

The GHS Precisions are the same as the Lakland flats according to the email I had from Lakland, but I can't confirm it from personal experience.

GHS Precisions are the smoothest of all flats that I have tried and I have never found them sticky even when new.
They are slightly too bright for me when new and I prefer them after a few months when they mellow out - even better after a few years.
I play finger style, never use a pick and I love the tone for reggae, soul and funk.

Trying different strings is always a gamble and it's best to stick with your favourites when you find some that really suit you.

I would love to try some [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]La Bellas sometime, but I would rather try some well used ones if anyone has an old set going cheap?[/font][/color]

Just a little update on the Precisions, I tried them on my P and Jazz and they have come to life :) It must just be the combination of my Ricky 4003 and these strings that didn't get on at least to my ear.
Seems it's a matter of getting the right flats to suit the right type of bass.

I have some Medium light GHS Brite flats coming for the Rickenbacker, lets see.