Why become a member? ×

Lakland Joe Osborn Flats or GHS Precision Flats in the UK?

wateroftyne

DR Hi-Beam flats are very nice and similar to GHS Precision flats in both feel and tone, but they are a bit more pricey:
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/7614-dr_handmade_legend_flatwound_bass_guitar_strings_45_105_medium"]http://www.stringsdi...s_45_105_medium[/url]

I also keep trying rounds, but they just don't suit me, while the GHSs feel and sound perfect.

Edited by redstriper

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1327365640' post='1510223']
Glad you're pleased, which gauge did you go for and how do they compare to the La Bellas?
[/quote]

I went for the 45-106's. They're a bit heavier than the La Bellas, but I was thinking the lighter gauge might be a bit [i]too[/i] light.

So far, so good.. they feel very nice, but I'll know more when they're broken in. I'll report back here when the time comes...

Thanks WOT, I look forward to your update.

I think the 106 is a misprint on the Lakland site because the GHS Es are 105 not 106.
Do they have the purple silks like the GHSs?

I ask because my US ebay seller has vanished and I'm thinking of ordering from Lakland, but I want to be sure they are the same strings.

I haven't tried the light scale set, only the regular and medium gauges.

I emailed Lakland to ask if their flatwound strings are the same as the GHSs Precisions after reading that they are on their forum and got this reply:

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]

[quote][color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
i don't know, frankly. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]
i had heard at one time that ghs, who makes our strings, were going to change their formula to match ours, but i have no idea whether 1) that story was acurate, and 2) if it was acurate, if it came to be.[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

Has anyone compared them I wonder?[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1327416480' post='1510859']
I emailed Lakland to ask if their flatwound strings are the same as the GHSs Precisions after reading that they are on their forum and got this reply:

[color=#2A2A2A][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Has anyone compared them I wonder?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]
I've always believed they were the same except for the silk, but no final proof.