Why become a member? ×

Which amp?

weeleigh

After 30+ years of sterling service I have finally decided to retire my Peavey MK3 130W combo and go down the Barefaced lightweight cab route to save my poor back. Decided to get a Compact.

Trouble is I am unsure which amp head to go for. I fancy a Peavey Tour 450 but having trawled through the forums, some people reckon its a bit underpowered. I play in a weddings band doing covers and scottish ceilidh music, but with 2 guitarists and a drummer I want to make sure I am making the right choice. Would a Tour 700 be better?

I prefer 2 inputs as I use both bass guitar and EUB.

Any got a Peavey Tour 450/700 and Barefaced Compact set up that can advise?

Cheers,

Leigh

I ran a Peavey Tour 450 with a compact for two gigs and have to be honest, I didn't rate it. That said, I tried the same head with a Peavey 4x10 shortly after and didn't like the tones their either, so it may be a personal taste thing.

Personally, one of the most annoying factors with the Peaveys are the stupid chrome knobs - you can't see what anything is set to in less than perfect light. Stoopid.

I've been using a Tour 750 for the last year or so.
Running mine into Warwick 2x10 and/or 2x10 + 1x15 cabs though.
Half the battle is finding the EQ settings that complement your playing, but after a couple of hours 'fiddling' I've found I can get a nice well defined bottom end and a sharp top end.

To my ears, the built in Octaver is crud though so I just leave it switched off.

No problems or issues with it and even in a 5 piece rock covers band it's not being pushed particularly hard.

One thing I would say though is that I tried using an EUB going straight into the 'Low' socket and it was horrid so I ended up adding a Fishman Pre on that channel.

EDIT: And they weigh an absolute ton.

Edited by icastle

Thanks for the replies.

I'll take a look at Markbass amps.

icastle, is the the Tour 450 or 700 you have? Don't think there is a 750?
:P
I have read the octaver is a waste of time. The problem I have is making sure I make the right choice. I don't want to get the 450 then wish I had got the 700! Although I'm still open to any suggestions of other makes.

Thanks!

[quote name='weeleigh' timestamp='1325955000' post='1490356']
icastle, is the the Tour 450 or 700 you have? Don't think there is a 750?
:P
I have read the octaver is a waste of time. The problem I have is making sure I make the right choice. I don't want to get the 450 then wish I had got the 700! Although I'm still open to any suggestions of other makes.
[/quote]

Oops :lol:
It's a Tour 700.

I generally work on the principle that it's far better to underdrive a large amp than it is to overdrive a small one.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325955410' post='1490371']
Oops :lol:
It's a Tour 700.

I generally work on the principle that it's far better to underdrive a large amp than it is to overdrive a small one.
[/quote]

Agreed. My concern is I have read the Tour 450 can be a bit underpowered. If that is the case I would prefer the 700, to give more headroom.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1325958625' post='1490445']
Is the peavey combo loud enough? If it is with 130W then I suspect 130W into a compact will be just as loud... Worth having a chat with Alex at Barefaced?
[/quote]

The problem with the Peavey Combo is the weight. I'm looking for a lighter set up.
I did check with Alex at Barefaced and he reckons the Tour 450 would be ok, but I was wanting to see if anyone here actually has a set up of either Tour 450 or 700 with a Barefaced Compact, to let me know what it is like.

If weight is your concern, then a Markbass amp is the way to go. LMII/III can go in a carry pouch on a gig bag, making your bass amp & cab all manageable for 1 carry on your own (leaving your drummer free to carry the pedalboard).

Go to your nearest decent bass gear stockist & try some amps out.

Sure,

However the point I was attempting to make was that 130W from your current combo is likely to be rather less loud than 450 W into your compact....

Unless you're desperate to lug an amp around that weighs more than your cab I would bite the entire bullet and check out the usual class D lightweight amp suspects....

But volume is just not about the amp.. 100W into a 97 db/1w/1m cab sounds as loud as 50W into a 100db/1w/1m cab...

CHeers

Mark

[quote name='weeleigh' timestamp='1326020385' post='1491003']
Agreed. My concern is I have read the Tour 450 can be a bit underpowered. If that is the case I would prefer the 700, to give more headroom.

The problem with the Peavey Combo is the weight. I'm looking for a lighter set up.
I did check with Alex at Barefaced and he reckons the Tour 450 would be ok, but I was wanting to see if anyone here actually has a set up of either Tour 450 or 700 with a Barefaced Compact, to let me know what it is like.
[/quote]

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1326024344' post='1491105']
Sure,

However the point I was attempting to make was that 130W from your current combo is likely to be rather less loud than 450 W into your compact....

Unless you're desperate to lug an amp around that weighs more than your cab I would bite the entire bullet and check out the usual class D lightweight amp suspects....

But volume is just not about the amp.. 100W into a 97 db/1w/1m cab sounds as loud as 50W into a 100db/1w/1m cab...

CHeers

Mark
[/quote]

Thanks Mark. I understand your point fully. I intend to look into the class D amps as well, trouble is I'm not that well up on the latest gear. I assume you mean stuff like Genz Benz, Aguilar, and the like?

Cheers,

Leigh.

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1326024615' post='1491112']
I recommend an Acoustic image Clarus head:
[url="http://www.acousticimg.com/#/clarus_s4/lp"]http://www.acoustici.../#/clarus_s4/lp[/url]
[/quote]

Looks interesting. I like the look of that!

Thanks Michael.

Is the Acoustic Image Clarus good for switching between electric bass guitar and EUB? I see from the website its dual channel, which interests me. I also had a look at the EA Doubler and Markbass LMK online, both of which are dual channel.

Anyone got any of these?

Keep the suggestions going ! :P

Leigh.

personally I don't like markbass and never played an euphonic.
since this decision should make you happy for a long time, try as many solutions you can find and then choose.
the gallery got two older AI's for sale, so you might check the AI sound there.

Hi Leigh,

Sure the usual suspects are, GB, TC. MB, Aguilar, EA and AI (if you can find one to try first in the UK, the Gallery is a bit of a trip for you) Although it you want dual inputs that will restrict your choice... I think you need to go and try some options first.. Everyone likes what they've got until they change it... Any Basschatters up your way willing to help out if the shops don't stock much?

Cheers

Mark

[quote name='weeleigh' timestamp='1326056577' post='1491772']
Thanks Mark. I understand your point fully. I intend to look into the class D amps as well, trouble is I'm not that well up on the latest gear. I assume you mean stuff like Genz Benz, Aguilar, and the like?

Cheers,

Leigh.
[/quote]

I'm in a similar situation, there's a load of advice on my post "What amp should I get?" just below your post in the forum. Have a look on there, might be of help to you.

I'm off to Bass Direct once I get my new cab from Barefaced to try out a range of amps side by side.

Steve