Why become a member? ×

Lovely 82 JV Fender Precision (Squier Series)

pst62

Not seen one of these for sale for a long time.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FENDER-SQUIER-EARLY-JV-SERIES-82-PRECISION-FENDER-H-STOCK-LOGO-ORIGINAL-COND-/250967272953?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3a6ed0adf9"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3a6ed0adf9[/url]

[quote][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b][font=Times][size=4][color=#000000]TOTALLY ORIGINAL, U.S.A PICK UPS[/color][/size][/font][/b][/size][/font][/quote]
Hmm... It's either one or the other.

Edit: Yeah, that price is totally hatstand. :blink:

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1325951256' post='1490283']
Hmm... It's either one or the other.
[/quote]

I think the seller's referring to the oft-held belief that early Squiers came with USA pickups as standard, but in fact this now seems to only be true of some JV Squier Strats.

Nice bass. Silly price. You're pretty much into used CS money there.

I have 2 of these, a matching pair of P & J. They are extremely rare, far rarer than a CS model, and in my opinion better quality in build and sound quality, certainly more 'vintage correct' than the newer CS models. These will also appreciate in value, whereas the CS models with either hold, or deppreciate.

There is also quite a hardcore JV following, and the April/May 1982 export series are the most sought after JV models out there.

Having said that, i agree, i think he's asking big money, although to be fair, they turn up rarely, and it could have sold in an hour, it was definitely worth a try, although I'm unsure why he originally had a 'best offer' option, and then removed it, and made it buy now only?? I would have thought leaving the best offer was his best bet of guaging any sensible repsonse??

Excellent basses though, here's my pair;

[attachment=96682:latest pics 005.jpg]

This looks like a very nice bass but surely not in the price bracket that the seller is expecting. I have a glorious 1984 USA Precision which would struggle to get near the £1000 mark in the current economic climate let alone £1450. Some say that the quality of the JV precision would surpass the USA offering of the same period but I would not in a month of Sundays swap my 84 for a JV. It seems to be so difficult to value instruments at the present time but I suppose something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1325959360' post='1490465']
Lovely. I bitterly regret the Fender-logo J I hesitated on years ago. Did these two come with factory covers and fingerrests? Sorry if this has been asked before.
[/quote]

The J is a very early one. Its actually listed and shown on the official JV site, which states it has the earliest known neck date of any Fender Squire JV, and is beleived to be an early prototype. It has some features not included on the regular JV's, including factory covers, individual string mute assembly, slab neck, over body ground wire, and close thread tuners. So it came as is, and i've had it since '84.

The P didnt come with covers though, i added them when i purchased it, just looks better with 'em, simple as that.

Both came with fingerrests.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1325976516' post='1490716']
This looks like a very nice bass but surely not in the price bracket that the seller is expecting. I have a glorious 1984 USA Precision which would struggle to get near the £1000 mark in the current economic climate let alone £1450. Some say that the quality of the JV precision would surpass the USA offering of the same period but I would not in a month of Sundays swap my 84 for a JV. It seems to be so difficult to value instruments at the present time but I suppose something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
[/quote]

From my experience, and knowledge of collecting both vintage US, and JV instruments, i would have to say the '82 Precision at the top of this thread, would be more desirable, collectible, and more valuable than a similar vintage US model. It's certainly far rarer. This is a very collectable instrument, whereas i would argue that an 80's US instrument (Any Fender model), isn't.

There is a difference however, between something that is a great instrument, and something that is collectible. I'm sure an '84 P is a very nice instrument, but its not rare, or sought after by collectors, and when instruments are, they fall into a different league, and collectors can get very competitive when it comes to bidding, and owning these things. An April '82 export JV Bass would certainly fall into both of these categories though, as being both great, and collectible.

It is, as you rightly say, very difficult to value instruments at the moment, as the economic climate, means it's a bit of a buyers market out there, certainly for more 'common' vintage or rare stuff. I've certainly seen some bargains out there over the past 12 months, yet similarly, been surprised at some items fetching what i would consider to be high prices. It is difficult to value, which is why i don't blame people for starting auctions, especially of rare items like this, at high prices, because they could very well sell immediately.

The only truth in buying and selling [i]anything[/i] though, is exactly what you said, "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...........at that particular moment in time".

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1325979339' post='1490762']
A mate of mine has an '84 P bass as above. I keep trying to persuade him to sell it to me but no luck as yet :D
[/quote]

They are great basses. My Jazz is the best bass I've ever played, without exception, for both feel, and sound.

Be careful with later ones though, they regularly changed the specs of these from as early as the first 2 months, and each time, they made them with cheaper components, you've obviously played that one though, and its still a good 'un. :)

I love them to bits. If there were more out there, i'd probably have more of them, they are true rare birds.

my word, what the faaaa?
on one level mad.
On the other level when late '70's fenders make £1500-2000 easy regardless of build quality- these being rare and very nice instruments isn't too mad.

Rick, I love your two matching pair. :) having played a lot of vintage fender stuff how do you rate the JV 1st series as basses?
I love mine too.

Mad prices! maybe I should take more care of mine!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325987551' post='1490834']
my word, what the faaaa?
on one level mad.
On the other level when late '70's fenders make £1500-2000 easy regardless of build quality- these being rare and very nice instruments isn't too mad.

Rick, I love your two matching pair. :) having played a lot of vintage fender stuff how do you rate the JV 1st series as basses?
I love mine too.

Mad prices! maybe I should take more care of mine!
[/quote]

I agree, late 70's basses often fetch £1500+, and in my experience most are poorly made, weigh about the same as a small car, and have all sorts of tuning/intonation issues. Don't get me wrong, there are good ones out there, but too many guitars are bought without being played, just because of what they are.

Personally I'd rather have the Precision at the top of this thread, than a late 70's Precision every day of the week. And i'd virtually guarantee it would sound and play better, and in a blind test, vast majority would choose the same. You really have to play these to really appreciate just how good they are. The fact that they are jap reissues, will automatically mean alot of people wont pay £1000+ for them, but the large fender/small squire decal April/May '82 models are the 1960 Jazzes, and 1951 Precisions of the future, collectors wise.

Regarding how mine play, as you'll know from yours, they are great, they have a real vintage tone to them, unlike the modern reissues, and the necks are just amazing. My jazz, as i said earlier in the thread, is the best bass i've ever played for comfort, and sound, without exception. It sounds alot like a 60 jazz i had a few years back, more so than any jazz i've played since. The P likewise, real vintage tone and feel, and super silky necks.

The early JV's were made to exacting standards, and blueprints of the originals, more so than the US V-series of the same era ('82+).

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1326052569' post='1491678'] I agree, late 70's basses often fetch £1500+, and in my experience most are poorly made, weigh about the same as a small car, and have all sorts of tuning/intonation issues. Don't get me wrong, there are good ones out there, but too many guitars are bought without being played, just because of what they are. Personally I'd rather have the Precision at the top of this thread, than a late 70's Precision every day of the week. And i'd virtually guarantee it would sound and play better, and in a blind test, vast majority would choose the same. You really have to play these to really appreciate just how good they are. The fact that they are jap reissues, will automatically mean alot of people wont pay £1000+ for them, but the large fender/small squire decal April/May '82 models are the 1960 Jazzes, and 1951 Precisions of the future, collectors wise. Regarding how mine play, as you'll know from yours, they are great, they have a real vintage tone to them, unlike the modern reissues, and the necks are just amazing. My jazz, as i said earlier in the thread, is the best bass i've ever played for comfort, and sound, without exception. It sounds alot like a 60 jazz i had a few years back, more so than any jazz i've played since. The P likewise, real vintage tone and feel, and super silky necks. The early JV's were made to exacting standards, and blueprints of the originals, more so than the US V-series of the same era ('82+). [/quote]

I almost said the best thing, but one of the best things about them (the neck is an obvious thing obviously) is the tone. I had a wonderful japanese 1957 reissue before, and I've played the american vintage '57 reissue too. also another very nice instrument. But they sound like modern P basses.
My squier, sounds like the p basses on records- even with a different body wood! and it sounds like that unplugged.
Cracking bass, mine isn't original, it had a seymore duncan vintage style P pup fitted at some point but amazing thing.