Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB 1024x

cocco

Having sold my stingray I have a space in my stable, I've always fancied a BB and I think the new ones with the scratch plates look amazing, only problem is I've never played a modern one. From what I can tell theres not much to go wrong, bolt on, string thru, p/j pickups out of the 2024 tick all the right boxes for me as a rock player but better safe than sorry.

Anyone got a 1024? How do they handle? Would anyone recommend anything else for similar money (about £725 shipped)

[quote name='bobpalt' timestamp='1325771602' post='1487393']
Might be selling a 2024x soon? I have 2 identical 2024x's (both white), but one is just a gigging spare, which seems such a shame as its never used. Would be about £1400?

Thanks for the offer Bob but that's twice the amount of money I have, I'd love the 20 though.

Bob
[/quote]

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1325758193' post='1487053']
Having sold my stingray I have a space in my stable, I've always fancied a BB and I think the new ones with the scratch plates look amazing, only problem is I've never played a modern one. From what I can tell theres not much to go wrong, bolt on, string thru, p/j pickups out of the 2024 tick all the right boxes for me as a rock player but better safe than sorry.

Anyone got a 1024? How do they handle? Would anyone recommend anything else for similar money (about £725 shipped)
[/quote]

Buy a BB2000 or BB3000 instead - far better basses for the same money.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1325786554' post='1487739']
Really? Do you perchance have a spare one? Is the 1024 not great then?
[/quote]

There's a BB3000 for sale on the forum (albeit modified) - it will have been built in the Yamaha Music Craft shop in Japan, like the BB2024 range. BB2000 models don't come onto the market very often. I bought an ex show demonstration BB1024 just after they were released, and for a bass that was supposed to demonstrate how good these instruments were I was very dissapointed. I'd expect the BB2024 ones to be a different kettle of fish.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1325803230' post='1488175']
Okay thanks BB2000, so to sum up, if I want a nice, passive and preferably bolt on BB for less than £700 models to look out for are?
[/quote]

The old jap ones, pretty much any of the PB, SB or BB series. You'll hardly ever see PB or SB basses for sale, so bolt on BB ones to look out for are BB1000 (ebony fingerboard Precision type - Phil Lynnot used one for a while) or BB1100 (PJ type). Personaly I prefer the BB1200 or BB2000 but they are neck through. The BB2000 has a reversed P pup which put's the pickups on the D,G strings at about the same spacing as on a Jazz bass - with the normal orientation as on the BB3000 or BB1100 popping on the D,G strings sounds a bit "off".If you ever see a SB (for example SB1200) they are worth a try (Louis Johnson used one for a long time) - great basses.

If you like the look, pick up a 424X and upgrade with your pickups of choice. You can get a 424X for £400 new. The quality difference between its carcass and the 1024X is minimal. Like others here, and as a big BB fan, I was somewhat disappointed in the 1024X I tried. For sure I'd have gone for the non-X version, as that scratch plate makes it impossible to rest your thumb on the P pickup, as you can do on most of the earlier models. That, and the metal control plate is just ugly.

Can I ask, why do you prefer a bolt-on version? For me, a BB has to be neck-through.

I spotted this today, very nice example indeed :gas:
Would be tempted if I didn't already have one (albeit a later 1991 version)

As Noel stated above though, the thru neck BB's are the ones to have, if you can get one.

My BB1200 is thru neck and my 1100s is bolt on - both sound great but I lean more towards the 1200.

Still craving a BB2000 to complete the trio, as I'm sure Noel won't be surprised to hear, eh Noel ;)

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1326198053' post='1493559']
It is nice, I must also resist.

Unless i want to live in the garage of course.
[/quote]

Yes mate. Building a collection of basses would be far easier living on one's own eh :lol:

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1326197701' post='1493548'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140678514021&category=4713&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_500wt_1202"]http://cgi.ebay.co.u...9#ht_500wt_1202[/url]

Bow chika wow wow[/quote]
With your budget, Cocco, you could pick this up and have £300 change left in your pocket, and a big, broad smile on your face. (See what I did there?) Seriously, as I said to Bobby, before he picked up his 1100S, this is the one to have, if you want the BB all-rounder.

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1326197880' post='1493554']Still craving a BB2000 to complete the trio, as I'm sure Noel won't be surprised to hear, eh Noel ;)[/quote]
You can have my first month of production, natural 2000, Bobby. All I require in return is your soul, your first born, and £1,200 or your British pounds. Oh, and VIP passes to see "Kate Bush".