Why become a member? ×

Rebel Rebel

andy67

Morning folks,

Was driving through to Glasgow this morning listening to Rock Radio 96.3 FM. It struck me when listening to Rebel Rebel that, for a simple riff, what a cracking bass line and great sound - who originally played on this track?

I love that full bodied seventies bass sound. Wonder what gear he was using...time for an internet search!

andy

compare Supergrass' "pumping on your stereo"- slight influence there, perhaps?

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Rebel"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Rebel[/url]
says here it was Herbie.
I assume it was his Jazz with Roto Tru-bass nylon flats.

I've always liked the basslines on all Bowie stuff. Great melodies and hooks. On some of his stuff the bass is almost the lead instrument. Have a listen to Absolute Beginners for a great bassline.

I thought Trevor Bolder played on Bowie stuff of that era, but I could be wrong.

Edit. Ok, just read the Wiki page. Probably Herbie Flowers then

Edited by PaulMartin

The Herbie Flowers sound mainly relied on the ton of foam he used to put under the strings next to the bridge. The actual bass was so masked by the foam he could have been playing anything.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='PaulMartin' post='167563' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:48 PM']I've always liked the basslines on all Bowie stuff. Great melodies and hooks. On some of his stuff the bass is almost the lead instrument. Have a listen to Absolute Beginners for a great bassline.

I thought Trevor Bolder played on Bowie stuff of that era, but I could be wrong.

Edit. Ok, just read the Wiki page. Probably Herbie Flowers then[/quote]
+1

There are definitely some great basslines on Bowie songs that drive the whole song, such as:

Fame
TVC15
Sound & Vision
A New Career in A New Town
Ashes To Ashes
The Jean Genie

Rebel Rebel is on the Diamond Dogs album and it was Bowie's first album for some years that didn't feature any of 'The Spiders From Mars', i.e Mick Ronson (Guitar), Trevor Bolder (Bass) and Mick 'Woody' Woodmansy (Drums).. It was another of Bowie's 'concept albums' and the song '1984' gave a real clue as to where he was going musically with it's very heavily Disco and Soul influenced style that culminated in his Young Americans & Station to Station albums.

[quote name='andy67' post='167553' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:37 AM']Can hear that!

Herbie Flowers - very famous man![/quote]

Yep. I saw him at the O2 in Dec playing with Jeff Wayne. Thought he looked like Victor Meldrew.
Im pretty sure that is a Squire he is playing.
Any one recognise the guitarist?

Edited by dave_bass5

George Murray did low, then next was Carmine Rojas who now gigs with Joe Bonnamassa. Bowie and Visconti did bass bits from time to time in the studio as well.

But to be fair nik...Mike Garson cropped up thru the spiders sessions, before the spiders and all the way up to date in bowies career.

Edited by nig

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='168114' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:57 AM']Rebel Rebel is on the Diamond Dogs album and it was Bowie's first album for some years that didn't feature any of 'The Spiders From Mars', i.e Mick Ronson (Guitar), Trevor Bolder (Bass) and Mick 'Woody' Woodmansy (Drums).. It was another of Bowie's 'concept albums' and the song '1984' gave a real clue as to where he was going musically with it's very heavily Disco and Soul influenced style that culminated in his Young Americans & Station to Station albums.[/quote]

didn't Stevie Ray Vaughan play on Diamond Dogs?

[quote name='nig' post='168546' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:42 PM']George Murray did low, then next was Carmine Rojas who now gigs with Joe Bonnamassa. Bowie and Visconti did bass bits from time to time in the studio as well.

But to be fair nik...Mike Garson cropped up thru the spiders sessions, before the spiders and all the way up to date in bowies career.[/quote]
Very true Nig.. And he's still in Bowie's band to this day which is quite an achievement! As for George Murray, I loved his playing, but there seems to be very little info about him anywhere these days..

Hope all's well with you Nig!!