Why become a member? ×

Examples of envelope filters used in a band setting

dumelow

I use my Sound Blox Pro Envelope Filter as much as I can! I have always had an envelope filter in my pedalboard and I have had loads of different brands under my feet over the years. The Sound Blox pedal is the most flexible one I have used thus far (until something else comes out that does a better job!).

I played in an acid/jazz band when I was 20yrs old and I used an Electro Harmonix Q-tron. We used to play a lot of Jamiroquai covers and I used it for Blow My Mind and Just Another Story. I don't know if that was the pedal that Stuart Zender used for the recordings, but I could get very close to the same tone using the Q-tron.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1325883989' post='1489509']
Far more interested in taking drugs than playing bass apparently, which is why Rollins kicked him out in the first place.
[/quote]
who isn't ? no, seriously, he was an amazing bassist and now a fully-fledged producer. i preferred his playing.

Henry would fall out with anyone who took Aspirin. :lol:

Edited by phil.i.stein

Stuart Zender used an old Boss ME8B on the first two Jamiroquai albums and that was how he got the nice funky squelchy sounds!

I had a Q-tron but have to admit that the Mutron III is a much better pedal. I would still be keen to try a Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro though to see how that compares.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325859097' post='1488891']
I use my Sound Blox Pro Envelope Filter as much as I can! I have always had an envelope filter in my pedalboard and I have had loads of different brands under my feet over the years. The Sound Blox pedal is the most flexible one I have used thus far (until something else comes out that does a better job!).

I played in an acid/jazz band when I was 20yrs old and I used an Electro Harmonix Q-tron. We used to play a lot of Jamiroquai covers and I used it for Blow My Mind and Just Another Story. I don't know if that was the pedal that Stuart Zender used for the recordings, but I could get very close to the same tone using the Q-tron.
[/quote]

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1325886998' post='1489561']
who isn't ? no, seriously, he was an amazing bassist and now a fully-fledged producer. i preferred his playing.

Henry would fall out with anyone who took Aspirin. :lol:
[/quote]

Plus Rollins didn't like Weiss' on stage antics. Soloing in inappropriate parts of songs, playing loudly during quieter bits and trying to out perform Hank.
I remember seeing Rollins band in 92, and Hank just kept glaring at Weiss

[quote name='hairyhaw' timestamp='1325898139' post='1489734']
Always the first tune I think of when envelope filters are mentioned:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp9aHtN4K74&feature=g-hist&context=G201d765AHTwYR_gAGAA[/media]

Mutron III doing the honours.
[/quote]

It was an Eventide Harmoniser wasn't it?

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1325889889' post='1489609']
I had a Q-tron but have to admit that the Mutron III is a much better pedal. I would still be keen to try a Soundblox Bass Envelope Filter Pro though to see how that compares.
[/quote]

The Soundblox pedal is not cheap, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck...
[list]
[*]22 Filter Sounds including 2 Pole Low Pass, 4 Pole Low Pass, Single Peak, Triple Peak, Peak & Notch, and Phasers.
[*]Positive and Negative filter sweep with variable range and sensitivity.
[*]Wet/Dry Mix knob featuring our signature low-end preserving algorithm ‘Lo-Retain™’.
[*]4 modulation sources including envelope, LFO, expression pedal and Hot Hand.
[*]Tap tempo speed control for LFO.
[*]State-of-the-art DSP — Our proprietary 56-bit Digitial Signal Processor, the SA601, and crystal clear 24-bit converters.
[*]6 user presets — Easy to configure user presets in two banks selectable via 3 footswitches for quick access of your favorite sounds.
[*]7-Band Equalizer — Ultra precise 7-band equalizer for in-depth tone control saved per preset.
[*]Extended Control — An expression input allows for control of a wide variety of pedal parameters. A MIDI input also allows external access to presets and parameters.
[*]Motion Control — All Soundblox and Soundblox Pro pedals are ‘Hot Hand Ready®’ and can be used with any Hot Hand motion sensor to extend the capabilities of the unit.
[*]Active Analog Bypass — Bypass is fully routed around the DSP and active input ensure zero signal degradation
[/list]

I have had this pedal for a couple of months and I have only scratched the surface with the features. My keys player liked it so much he bought one for himself! I haven't bought the Hot Hand device. You do look a bit of a prat waving your hand around like Christina Aguilera when using it, so I am going to leave that. I have seen videos on YouTube with guys attaching it to their headstocks, but again you look like Status Quo rocking all over the world waving the bass neck up and down. The pedal does allow you to plug in an expression pedal so that you can control the swells, modulations and envelope peaks. That is handy and something I plan to add to my pedalboard.

My only gripe about this pedal is that it's mostly made from plastic and doesn't have the same toughness of my other pedals. The controls look like they will come clean off with an accidental toe poke. Think ZOOM multi-fx build quality and you'll get the picture. But, unlike ZOOM, the quality of the sounds from this pedal is astonishing and is a heck of a lot of fun to play with. My fav pedal in my arsenal by miles!