Why become a member? ×

Anyone Here Played Cruises?

Mykesbass

My 19 year old nephew is a very goodt trumpeter and singer and is looking at options aside from music college. One avenue he wants to explore is cruise ships. Anyone here had any experience - how to go about getting it, is it good for development/contacts, pay & conditions etc?

Thanks,
Mike

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1325583848' post='1484562']
I've resisted the temptation myself, but maybe this will help?

[url="http://www.proship.com/en/entertainers/proship-entertainment/e-about-us.html"]http://www.proship.c...e-about-us.html[/url]
[/quote]

Neat sample audition charts!

I did a P&O ferry for five weeks, a great starting point and we were here in blighty every second day so you're not too far from home to some extent.

It's great fun, accommodation is sorted, you get fed, you get your clothes washed and all the tea you can drink!

Fortunately for us it wasnt a sight reading gig and cruise ships doesnt necessarily mean sight reading, though I would imagine there's more work available as a sight reader.

Try starnow.com, they advertise a lot of cruise ships and hotel jobs. Dubai, Indonesia, china etc.

Dan

A friend of mine was on cruises for 4/5 years albeit as a photographer as opposed to a musician but I spoke to him at length about his experiences. He worked with a mirriad of companies and has been to pretty much every continent doing it.

The bottom line (according to him) is that pay is not great but of course you pay no rent, no bills (aside from a personal mobile or something) have no food outgoings (often no drink outgoings as on all inc. ships you get the same wristband guests get and on paid food/drink ones you buy drinks for pennys in the pound price as a perk.) The hours tend to be a tad long (probably not quite as bad for a musician) and generally you get poor crew cabins. He told me about one particular boat where he was in the cabin under the water line next to one of the bow thrusters which literally shook the cabin apart when it went off. Generally they are cramped, in louder areas of the ship and have no windows, although they are free! But you do - Travel the world, see incredible sights, make close friends, build real world contacts and of course work doing what you love.

Fact is though from this he ended up working as a photographer for a major bass/guitar builder and doing very well for himself so it can be a great way to build experience and show a work ethic not found in a lot of people.

Edited by throwoff

I have done a few over the years, just about every corner of the World.
They vary quite a lot. Depending on the companies, the money can be ok to very good depending on the gig.
The production/show gigs tend to pay better.
Cabin accommodation is different from ship to ship and varies from company to company.
However it's a good way to save up money on the quick.
Gigs go from lounge trio to full on pit/theatre gigs and just about everything in between.
It's a great way to get your chops together because of the consistent amount of time you are playing.
There are a few guys here on Basschat who are away on ships at the moment, maybe they will see the thread and pop in soon
And bring you up to date.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1325671033' post='1485783']

The production/show gigs tend to pay better.

full on pit/theatre gigs

Garry
[/quote]

Thanks for teh useful input Garry,

With him being a trumpeter I guess he needs to look for the companies putting these productions together.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1325673145' post='1485820']
At 19 maybe he could try to see the bigger picture and go to music college first as it could present more options for careers later.
Having said that I know nothing of fees etc.
[/quote]

Thanks Chardbass, he's on a diploma course at the moment which will lead on to doing a degree next year, but he is looking to see if there are better alternatives than this route. And when you see the responses when people have posted on here in the past about going to college, he's probably doing the right thing by at least considering options.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1325671322' post='1485786']
With him being a trumpeter I guess he needs to look for the companies putting these productions together.
[/quote]

I will ask some of the Brass players i know, what companies they use.

He might want to put a profile up here, Cruise work for blowers comes up from time to time.
A basic free account will get you alerts. But it is worth paid membership to get immediate access to opportunities.

[url="http://uk.music-jobs.com/"]http://uk.music-jobs.com/[/url]

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1325673907' post='1485835']
I will ask some of the Brass players i know, what companies they use.

He might want to put a profile up here, Cruise work for blowers comes up from time to time.
A basic free account will get you alerts. But it is worth paid membership to get immediate access to opportunities.

[url="http://uk.music-jobs.com/"]http://uk.music-jobs.com/[/url]

Garry
[/quote]

Thanks again Garry.