Why become a member? ×

Vintage Jazz Basses

GregHughes

Looking to change over my New Jazz bass to a vintage one and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on purchasing. I do love my Jazz bass but think a vintage one would be a better add on to my growing collection.

I would really like to get a 1973 guitar as that was my birth year and seems a good year.

Where would you recommend I look and is there anything I need to look out for?

Prices seems to vary on the guitars I seen so far but hoping to pick a good condition one up for under £2K, it this realistic?

Seen a lovely one in a shop but its £3500 which seems very steep.

Hi Greg, I have a 73 jazz with black blocks. I wouldnt sell it for the world. [i]However, not all are good ones[/i]. At that time Fenders jigs were all getting a bit worn, and this caused problems with the neck joint in the main. With a lot of these old ones you can move the neck from side to side in the neck pocket. If you look closely you can see the gap between the neck and body. Thats what to look for really. I wouldnt try and move the neck in a shop or you might do damage or get thrown out to be honest. So look closely Greg. The next thing which is critical with old Fenders, both P's and J's is that the 'C' on the fifth fret of the G string is prone on many to be dead. If that happens my advice would be not to buy. Thats the best test of how well the neck fits with the body.

Personally my advice ( if you have 2K to spend ) would be to go upmarket. A Mayones Jabba is a great jazz and in budget. If you really want a Fender, then I would look no further than a Japan made '62 reissue Jazz with US pickups. The reverse wind tuners are excellent. IMHO these are the best Fenders made. Japanese that is. Ebay is as good as anywhere to look Greg.

Hope this has been of some help. All best.

£2000 is definitely realistic for a private sale. Yep, there's diamonds and dogs in that era and the ratio of dogs to diamonds increases from about '74 onwards.

Make sure you try before you buy.. most 34" basses (not just Fenders) are susceptible to the dead spot, but IME it has to be pretty severe to be noticable whilst gigging or recording.

Don't get too hung up looking for a Sadowsky-like neck pocket - you could be looking for a while. Just make sure it feels stable. Check for fretwear - the frets on bound necks can be replaced, but it's time-consuming and expensive. And, be aware of the weight if it's something that bothers you. Some 70s Jazzes are heavier than a bus.

(Incidentally, as for Fender vs. Boutique, to be blunt.. you won't have much of a problem with resale if you go Fender. If you buy a new boutique bass, make sure you're prepared and able to take a hit when you sell it.)

Thanks chaps. That was exactly the advice I was hoping for. Got my heart set on a Fender Jazz bass and I think my collection must have one of these although I will definitely venture further afield once the right guitar is sourced.

I have seen Andy Baxter basses which seem to have a good range at sensible prices, have you any experience of his company?

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1325289098' post='1481932']
I've bought from Andy and altho he's my only experience of a vintage dealer, so no comparisons, I found him great, up front, knew his stuff and felt that his stuff is priced realistically and honestly. You can go to his place also and try out.
[/quote]

+1 for andy baxter - realistic prices for a dealer and good service/support
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325286421' post='1481901']
£2000 is definitely realistic for a private sale. Yep, there's diamonds and dogs in that era and the ratio of dogs to diamonds increases from about '74 onwards.

Make sure you try before you buy.. most 34" basses (not just Fenders) are susceptible to the dead spot, but IME it has to be pretty severe to be noticable whilst gigging or recording.

Don't get too hung up looking for a Sadowsky-like neck pocket - you could be looking for a while. Just make sure it feels stable. Check for fretwear - the frets on bound necks can be replaced, but it's time-consuming and expensive. And, be aware of the weight if it's something that bothers you. Some 70s Jazzes are heavier than a bus.

(Incidentally, as for Fender vs. Boutique, to be blunt.. you won't have much of a problem with resale if you go Fender. If you buy a new boutique bass, make sure you're prepared and able to take a hit when you sell it.)
[/quote]

the neck cavity problems are mainly concerned with the later jazzes especialy when they went over to the 3 bolt design

Hi Greg.

If I was in the market for another 70's Fender I would be contacting Bass Chatter 0353203, (dont let the strange user name put you off).

Earlier in the year he sourced and completed a deal for me on a 75 P bass. He took care of the importing and removed all the worry and risk for me.

My advice would be to drop him a pm, outlining your budget and requirements.

Good luck with it.

I gotta recommend this guy too [url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url] who've I've bought and sold from. Nothing in stock at present but certainly worth a chat. I agree £2k is realistic and forgive my rusty knowledge around 1973 Jazz basses but the 70s Jazzes occasionally have problems with the 3 bolt necks so if you are not sure punt for a 4 bolt neck (I say that they might all be 4 bolt for 73 and a lot of 70s 3 bolt necks are fine! - er, thanks I hear you say!?!)