Why become a member? ×

Manchester amp technician?

solo4652

Folks,

My Line 6 Studio practice amp is misbehaving. It's suddenly lost a lot of volume, and what output remains is muddy and woolly. I've tried it with different power leads, basses and instrument leads all to no avail.

Can anybody recommend a good amp technician in (south) Manchester, please?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='guyl' timestamp='1325175188' post='1480579']
Dave Lunt - in Stockport. Excellent. 0161 432 9698.
[/quote]

Thanks. I've just spoken to him and he quickly decided it's "beyond economical repair". These are about £180 new and, without even seeing my combo, Dave said that it wouldn't be worth fixing! :(

Time to go shopping for a replacement? What shall I buy?

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1325175520' post='1480590']
Thanks. I've just spoken to him and he quickly decided it's "beyond economical repair". These are about £180 new and, without even seeing my combo, Dave said that it wouldn't be worth fixing! :(

Time to go shopping for a replacement? What shall I buy?
[/quote]

If that was just over the phone I'd be wary of putting any business his way, especially since you're local.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1325249105' post='1481289']
If that was just over the phone I'd be wary of putting any business his way, especially since you're local.
[/quote]

I must say I was a bit surprised. I thought he could at least have had a look and then gone through the repair/replace options. As soon as I said it was a Line 6 he lost all interest. He'd already half lost interest when i said it was solid-state and not valves.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1325254040' post='1481350']
I must say I was a bit surprised. I thought he could at least have had a look and then gone through the repair/replace options. As soon as I said it was a Line 6 he lost all interest. He'd already half lost interest when i said it was solid-state and not valves.
[/quote]

i'd've said the same in his position. Line 6 amps aren't easy to work on.

It'll be almost the same price to buy a new one. Basically you don't troubleshoot with line 6 amps you send them to be rebuilt or put them in the bin

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1325249105' post='1481289']
[/quote]
To be fair, Dave is a Valve Amp man and has been for a long time, (and I warned Steve about this before passing his details on). I used to work with him and he is absolute mustard on Valve Gear. One of the best.
He has fixed Solid State stuff, but accepts that with modern assembly methods, it is down to swapping circuit boards. There is very little that can be done on a modern assembly line board as the components are so small. By the time he has established where the fault is and tried to order a replacement pcb, it would be cheaper to get a replacement amp.
It is probably fairer to be upfront, (in his usual non customer focussed way), at the start than spend more than the item is worth.

I was going to post similar about Dave Lunt being a valve man only, but though I might be impugning his reputation.
Another place you can try is JB at Noisebox P.A

[b] [url="http://www.noiseboxsound.co.uk/"]http://www.noiseboxsound.co.uk/[/url][/b]

They are city centre local and he`s a very good ex Amek fixer who repairs anything and everything electronic.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1325275259' post='1481708']
It's the night before NYE. Peace on Earth and goodwill to all men.
Steve
[/quote]
So it's New Year's Eve Eve. :) All the best guys. If your gigging , have a good one.

Edited by BassBunny