Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of the 70's

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='tauzero' post='167611' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:37 PM']I remember someone on alt.guitar.bass saying that every fretless player ever was influenced by Jaco.[/quote]
More bollocks from the Jaco publicity machine. For an esoteric artist they sure worked hard. Jaco did not invent the fretless bass and they were available to buy when he took the pliers to his Jazz. I am afraid the first person who did take the pliers to their frets was bass god (not) Bill Wyman.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='167495' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:52 AM']I'm just gutted that, from the original thread, my vote for "Twang" from Animal Kwackers didn't make it into the Lonely Sods list :)[/quote]

Christ I remember them...bit like a Glam Rock Rainbow. Sadly I can still remember the theme tune 30 years later.

Here is twang in full effect

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzEVG6je2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzEVG6je2E[/url]

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='tauzero' post='167611' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:37 PM']I remember someone on alt.guitar.bass saying that every fretless player ever was influenced by Jaco.
[quote name='bass_ferret' post='167620' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:44 PM']
More bollocks from the Jaco publicity machine. For an esoteric artist they sure worked hard. Jaco did not invent the fretless bass and they were available to buy when he took the pliers to his Jazz. I am afraid the first person who did take the pliers to their frets was bass god (not) Bill Wyman.[/quote]
[/quote]
That was rather my point. I'd been playing fretless for 15 years before I ever heard of the bloke. I've still only heard one of his tracks. He seems OK to me so I might get round to listening to some more some day.

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='167495' date='Apr 1 2008, 09:52 AM']I'm just gutted that, from the original thread, my vote for "Twang" from Animal Kwackers didn't make it into the Lonely Sods list :huh:[/quote]

Well, HH, I just used your FIRST five (below),

[indent]
1. Russell Jackson (BB King)
2. Joseph "Lucky" Scott (Curtis Mayfield)
3. Lequient "Duke" Jobe (Rose Royce)
4. Aston "Family Man" Barrett (Bob Marley)
5. Willie Weeks (Donny Hathaway)[/indent]so [i]Twang [/i]missed out. Maybe you can start a thread "Best Virtual Bass Players"? You know, they can be "underground, overground..." you know the tune. :)

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='167636' date='Apr 1 2008, 01:01 PM']Christ I remember them...bit like a Glam Rock Rainbow. Sadly I can still remember the theme tune 30 years later.

Here is twang in full effect

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzEVG6je2E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzEVG6je2E[/url][/quote]

Thank you!!! I've been trying to find a clip that wasn't the dodgy cartoon bit for ages!

I was a bit young for these, but my brother had an album which I destroyed on the record player by over-playing when I was a kid (erm, honest!).

The pictures used to scare the cr*p out of me.

Sorry Born 2B Mild, I didn't mean to have too many votes!

[quote name='greyparrot' post='168619' date='Apr 2 2008, 06:49 PM']Jerry Scheff is mine, fab player, check out the elvis 70s concerts. The band TCB band still work, and still as hot as they were in the 70's.[/quote]

+1 for Jerry. Got to see them in Blackpool not so long a go, thanks to a friend of mine who knows Jim Horn and invited me a long. Best of all, we got invited to the party afterwards. Really surreal, chatting with James Burton and the TCB members. You know you are in the presence of real stars when they behave so normal and have a complete absence of ego. And darn it, they have every right to have one!

well there were certainly a lot of great bass players around in the 70's. Jaco may be the winner, and it's predictable for a reason - he probably was the best (electric) bass player of the 70's. In fact he was just a massively talented musician that luckily chose to play bass. Saying that, I don't like his tone much - way too nasal sounding on a lot of his music.

It seems to me that "best bass player" is equated with "the best bass player in your favourite band" or "the bass player that played your favourite bass line". Each to his own and all that, but Jaco is the man. :) I'm not a Jaco evangelist either, but you gots to recognize!

Ultimately these kind of polls are tedious and meaningless anyway, and who really gives a toss. Just shut up, dig the music & play the bass (even if it has more than 4 strings).

I'll chuck in a late vote for Rocco Prestia too as I haven't seen him mentioned.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='168808' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:59 PM']+1 for Jerry. Got to see them in Blackpool not so long a go, thanks to a friend of mine who knows Jim Horn and invited me a long. Best of all, we got invited to the party afterwards. Really surreal, chatting with James Burton and the TCB members. You know you are in the presence of real stars when they behave so normal and have a complete absence of ego. And darn it, they have every right to have one![/quote]

Oh man how cool! well i got to shake Jerrys hand at Hamersmith, that was cool. I guess he was my influence, and the lines he played were so new in live playing, both on record and in the studio. Try to check out polk sallad annie, the fast live version. The bass and drums are incredible, even by todays standard, and the distortion bass solo by jerry is just so full of energy, all blues bassed, but fast and cool! Hes still doing it today! Also Jaco, and the guy from chic, all really cool bassists. We do Chic stuff in the duo (my choice) and they are bouncy fun basslines.

www.bsharpduo.co.uk

I really can't believe that ([i]insert name of bass player[/i]) didn't get any votes. His work on ([i]insert album title[/i]) was way better than anything ([i]insert name of bass player[/i]) ever did.

This is why I hate Q magazine...

Edited by bassninja

[quote name='bassninja' post='169849' date='Apr 4 2008, 02:49 PM']I really can't believe that ([i]insert name of bass player[/i]) didn't get any votes. His work on ([i]insert album title[/i]) was way better than anything ([i]insert name of bass player[/i]) ever did.

This is why I hate Q magazine...[/quote]
:)

Okay... How about:

I really can't believe that ([i]Sid Viscious[/i]) didn't get any votes. His work on ([i]Adventures in Punk/Jazz fusion[/i]) was way better than anything ([i]Messrs Jaco Wooten Flowres[/i]) ever did.

This is why I hate Q magazine...

:huh: