Why become a member? ×

Neck Breaks - Are They Ever The Same After Repair?

Who's Who

Hi all

I'm a very proud owner of a Gibson Thunderbird Bass, but it's one of the nice shiny newer models.

I always keep my eye on the vintage models of this baby, but more often than not they're usually with a neck break that's been repaired.

I know the Thunderbird has a notoriously weak neck, and I must admit the majority of the ones that I've seen repaired look to be fantastic jobs. But it got me thinking, has anyone ever experienced a guitar that's had a neck repair, or been unlucky enough to have the experience of getting their own guitar repaired.

I just wondered, other than the obvious cosmetic appearance, are they ever the quite the same again.
Do they come back playing and feeling as good as before, or is it always that obvious you're playing a repaired neck.

I'm not really looking for advice on buying a vintage guitar, but just wondered what peoples experiences are really.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1324327175' post='1473122']
Given that wood glues are generally tougher than the original wood and that some models are so prone to headstock breaks that I do sometimes wonder why the manufacturer doesn't break them before they leave the factory and glue them in the first place. :)
[/quote]

That's an interesting point there.
I only use the Thunderbird as an example as I know they're prone to neck breaks, and I'm always terrified one day mine might break.
But then looking at it from a different angle, that necks made up from 9 pieces of wood, so there's already plenty of glue in there. Surely a little more can't hurt!!!

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1324327829' post='1473139']
That's an interesting point there.
I only use the Thunderbird as an example as I know they're prone to neck breaks, and I'm always terrified one day mine might break.
But then looking at it from a different angle, that necks made up from 9 pieces of wood, so there's already plenty of glue in there. Surely a little more can't hurt!!!
[/quote]
Before the break the glue is all going in one direction. After the break the glue goes the other way too.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1324327175' post='1473122']
Given that wood glues are generally tougher than the original wood and that some models are so prone to headstock breaks that I do sometimes wonder why [s]the manufacturer[/s] Gibson doesn't break them before they leave the factory and glue them in the first place. :)
[/quote]
Corrected it for you. ;)

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1324327829' post='1473139']
[/quote]

I have to admit that I'm really not a fan of the Gibson headstock design.
The sheer number of head snaps experienced by end users is pretty indicative of a poor piece of design.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1324329043' post='1473161']
All it would take is for them to add a volute behind the nut but they insist on not doing it. It's not just Thunderbirds, I don't know how many repaired Les Pauls and SGs I've seen over the years.
[/quote]
But would you say they're as stable following repair?
Is there any structural or tonal indifferences?

[quote name='Who's Who' timestamp='1324329298' post='1473162']
But would you say they're as stable following repair?
Is there any structural or tonal indifferences?
[/quote]

Very unlikely I'd have said.
The break is generally quite clean and a minimal amount of wood glue is needed.
As long as the neck is clamped tight to squeeze the excess glue out of the join then you'd probably need scientific measurement (as opposed to 'sounds the same to me' type measurement) to tell the difference.

I know some lads who've been playing the repaired instruments for over twenty years, so if done right, the repair should last. Any headstock attached using a spline joint has a layer of glue between the two pieces of wood so it's not something which means the instrument is a tonal lobster. It's really down to the quality of the repair, I reckon.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1324328649' post='1473154']
I have to admit that I'm really not a fan of the Gibson headstock design.
The sheer number of head snaps experienced by end users is pretty indicative of [s]a poor piece of design[/s] user error.
[/quote]

Fixed that for you ;)