Why become a member? ×

Neck LEDs

mart

One of my basses has LEDs installed in the neck as the side fretmarkers. There are three 9v batteries used to power these, and I've been wondering why it needs so many - there are only 12 LEDs in total, and they don't use much power, do they?

The other odd thing about this bass is that although it's a fretless, the fretmarkers on the fingerboard (and the LEDs on the side) are in the position they'd be on a fretted bass, i.e., between where the fretlines would be rather than at the fret position itself. This bugs me slightly, but I have no idea what to do about it. Would it be possible to get the markers (and the side LEDs) moved, or is that going to cost an arm and a leg? Or could I get the bass fretted so that the markers and LEDS are in the right positions? (Or are there going to be wires running up the fingerboard that would get sliced if I put frets in the board). Any other suggestions?

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1324291293' post='1472509']
One of my basses has LEDs installed in the neck as the side fretmarkers. There are three 9v batteries used to power these, and I've been wondering why it needs so many - there are only 12 LEDs in total, and they don't use much power, do they?

The other odd thing about this bass is that although it's a fretless, the fretmarkers on the fingerboard (and the LEDs on the side) are in the position they'd be on a fretted bass, i.e., between where the fretlines would be rather than at the fret position itself. This bugs me slightly, but I have no idea what to do about it. Would it be possible to get the markers (and the side LEDs) moved, or is that going to cost an arm and a leg? Or could I get the bass fretted so that the markers and LEDS are in the right positions? (Or are there going to be wires running up the fingerboard that would get sliced if I put frets in the board). Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

Do a bunch of LEDs really need 27V? Is the bass active anyway and some of the batteries are used to power the preamp (say 2 for the preamp and 1 for the LEDs)? Until you trace the wires, you won't know what the scoop is.

Regarding the surgery, sounds expensive and invasive to me any way you slice it (pardon the pun). I'd guess that it would definitely be cheaper to fret it than move the LEDs based upon the amount of faffing around I'd say is involved.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1324293896' post='1472557']
Do a bunch of LEDs really need 27V? Is the bass active anyway and some of the batteries are used to power the preamp (say 2 for the preamp and 1 for the LEDs)? Until you trace the wires, you won't know what the scoop is.
[/quote]
Generally, the power supply must have sufficient voltage to provide about 2v for each LED in series (4v for blue and white) plus at least another 2v for the resistor. It soon mounts up.

Thanks for the replies guys!
[/quote]
Actually, the bass is active, but has another 2 batteries for the 18v preamp. Yes, the bugger takes 5 batteries in total! :blink:

Regarding the surgery, sounds expensive and invasive to me any way you slice it (pardon the pun). I'd guess that it would definitely be cheaper to fret it than move the LEDs based upon the amount of faffing around I'd say is involved.
[/quote]
That seems plausible, but do you think the frets would interfere with the wiring? Has anybody seen inside a LED-fitted neck? Where do the wires go?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1324295261' post='1472578']
Generally, the power supply must have sufficient voltage to provide about 2v for each LED in series (4v for blue and white) plus at least another 2v for the resistor. It soon mounts up.
[/quote]
Thanks, that explains it. I had been thinking that the voltage for each LED was lower (from a vaguely recalled figure of 0.63V from O level electronics [i]many[/i] years ago).

My status S2 has front and side Leds. I can either have just the side on, or front and side. The bass has 2 9v for the active circuits and 2 9v for the leds.

MB1. B)
I have front facing Blue leds only on my status KB powered by One 9V battery. Active circuit is 18v(another 2 x 9v batterys)

Edited by MB1

Are we talking about an Alembic here? They can have a lot of batteries (this doesn't really help with the weight issues that characterise Alembics - not that I'm having a go - I love the things). If the bass is an Alembic, the LEDs are possibly installed via an ebony strip inserted into the side of the board. I'm not sure about the implications of this for moving dots or fretting. Of course, maybe I'm wrong and it's not an Alembic bass. Either way, I'm pretty sure that Martin at the Gallery could sort the issues without too much trouble. Moving all the dots could be a bit of hassle, A fret job might be relatively inexpensive I'd imagine - probably cheaper than moving LEDs.

Thanks for the replies. The bass is an old Warwick, so I don't think it'll be an ebony strip along the side of the board, although I have no definite information. And, for what it's worth, the LEDs are red except for the octaves (12th and 24th), which are yellow.

From Ou7shined's comments, I'm guessing that my LEDs are wired in series, but most of you that have 9v or 18v-powered LEDs have them wired in parallel. Either way, I'm jealous! :angry: :)

Edited by mart

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1324295261' post='1472578']
Generally, the power supply must have sufficient voltage to provide about 2v for each LED in series ([u][b]4v for blue[/b][/u] and white) plus at least another 2v for the resistor. It soon mounts up.
[/quote]

ah feck! :P