Why become a member? ×

What a difference a gauge makes..

fender73

Hi all,

Been largely ignoring general bass stuff apart from the odd gig, but in the last couple of days i've been picking up my Warwick and have a twang. Nothing really inspired me and it was all a bit samey etc.....then...i had a wander to Denmark Street today, and much to my surprise i found some Trace Elliot light gauge strings in a bargain bin for £5.....so...i bought some, strung the bass up with them....and instant inspiration!

They really are too light (unless you are a certain Isle of Wight residen), but it's amazing how the change from the usual 45 to 105's to a lighter gauge seemingly gave me back some sparkle. Didnt even need to tweak the basses neck either

Good times....

G

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1323986056' post='1469640']
Very true. Strings with lower tension (but the same gauge) can make a bass feel so much more playable too.
[/quote]
+1
I strongly prefer roundcore strings like DR Fat Beams and Newtone over hex core strings. Better intonation, better feel, better sound - IMHO of course.