Why become a member? ×

warwick corvette wood?

leftyhook

Hi
Apologies for jumping in without thoroughly searching for the right topic area, but I am considering buying a s/h Warwick Corvette standard (l/h) and was wondering if anyone recognised the wood of the body? I don't think it's Bubunga...

The serial number is between the machine heads on the back of the headstock, so that means it is pre 2010 I beleive.

Many thanks for any help!

LH

[IMG]http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd499/leftyhook/corvettestandard.jpg[/IMG]

You are certainly buying a decent bass, I've had three corvettes over the years, and the 'bubinga' version that
I have now with gold hardware, is stunning to look at, and more importantly, sounds and plays great,
and I will never ever sell it, while I'm still able to play.

It's hard to be certain what wood the corvette in question is, because straight away I thought it can't be ash, as you normally see a very pronounced grain, which this one doesn't have.

At first glance, it resembles 'mahogany', but I would say that it is more likely to be 'bubinga', although I'm not convinced that it is.
If you do buy it and it's heavy, then it probably is 'bubinga', but why not just ask the seller?

Hear is a pic of my corvette 'bubinga' (left), and also a pic of an 'antique tobacco' (right) version.

I still can't make my mind up!

Edited by thebrig

[indent=1]Doesn't look like bubinga to me as that has lots of swirls in the grain - see here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160973-fs-2008-warwick-corvette-standard-fretless-4-under-offer/page__pid__1469867#entry1469867"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160973-fs-2008-warwick-corvette-standard-fretless-4-under-offer/page__pid__1469867#entry1469867[/url][/indent]

[indent=1]Ovangkol maybe?[/indent]

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1323968358' post='1469377']
[sub]Ash[/sub]
[sub]Antique Tobacco Coloured Oil[/sub]
[sub]Active MEC pickups[/sub]
[sub]Active 2 Band Electronics (with pull passive)[/sub]
[sub]Pre 2010, German built[/sub]
[sub]Hardware upcharge.[/sub]
[/quote]

That's your answer mate, I doubt you'll find many more knowledgeable about Warwicks than Tom.

thanks everyone. Ive asked the seller a few times but I don't think he knows much about this bass. perhaps he's not as nutty as I am on basses!

I had toyed with the idea of a Fender precision as I have a Wal Custom from 1984. I have asked myself if the warwick and Wal would be similar?

Well well well. I received an email from the seller saying he is pulling out of the deal because he prefers a 'face to face' deal rather than post it. That's after over a weeks worth of emailing and agreeing to do it through Paypal.

That's it. I've decided my next bass will be a Precision!

It's on gumtree if you are interested and live nearby the seller.