Why become a member? ×

bass shops in cardiff

Geek99

hi

In cardiff this weekend, with my "gar" and drums-mad daughter, any recommendations for decent shops ?

(Preferably those that are at least tolerant of [i]supervised[/i] small children and view them as future customers) - staying in Premier Inn in the city

thanks

I don't know if it is still there but I went to the Millenium stadium about 6 or 7 yrs ago and there was a little music shop up a narrow street close to the stadium, it had a few basses in the basement. I recall noodling about on a secondhand overwater (might have been fretless) but can't remember the shop name.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1323780926' post='1466892']
I don't know if it is still there but I went to the Millennium stadium about 6 or 7 yrs ago and there was a little music shop up a narrow street close to the stadium, it had a few basses in the basement. I recall noodling about on a secondhand Overwater (might have been fretless) but can't remember the shop name.
[/quote]

That was Speed Music. They closed down ages ago.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1323782647' post='1466928']
There's Crane's, GM and Gamlins, all more or less on the same street. All pretty much the same.
[b]RhysP[/b] describes them accurately...
[/quote]

Yes, he does. I tried for a short scale bass recently and not one of them had anything in stock - Ideally I would have liked to try an Epihphone Eb0 and a Squier Jaguar against each other but it was all 'on order only' at each shop. Even Nobles (and I've been buying stuff from 'Nutty' Noble's since 1972) had just one in stock - a child's bass that looked like it was something from 'Hello Kitty'. There is a dealer down in the docks area called Cardiff Guitar Co. I haven't been there - one phone call was enough.

No, forget bass shopping in Cardiff.

Rob

Edited by Beefyeggo

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1323780694' post='1466887']
There are none, unless you want to look at a small & uninspiring array of Fenders & Stingrays, a few Ibanez and a load of cheap copies.
[/quote]
Better than nothing as far as I'm concerned :)

I live in Cardiff and I'm afraid all the previous posts are pretty correct. There are no really good musical instruments shops here. Cardiff guitar co down near the bay can be good on a "good day" The main three in town are either overpriced or have very little to show in the way of bass. I wanted to buy an Orange rig in Cranes once but they wouldn't let me play through it in case I disturbed the other customers!?!?!?!?

Have a look around them but don't get your hopes up.