Why become a member? ×

A strange audition...

warwickhunt

Get this.
I`m locked in a war of attrition with the drummer, who owns the P.A but has no idea how to use it.
So one week I said, these LD tops bark a bit when you push them, maybe a graphic EQ across the rig would help to smooth it out.
So he fetches a stereo graphic eq, mid range Peavey one. Fine for the job of pulling a few of those upper mids that were spoiling the vocal sound.
At first he let me set it up,as I know how to use one and slightly pulled a few freqs and declared myself happy till we heard how it went later.
He moaned like a bastard about how his kit sound was now ruined and why was I EQing the rig around the vocal only?
He uses a Roland TD20,stereo output.
I flattened the EQ , shrugged and walked away.
Fast forward two weeks,I haven`t gigged but he has.
We set up, I hand him my XLR cable from the D.I and he turns me up. f*** me what a dreadful weak sh*t sound.
"Your lead is no good. It`s your lead." sez he.
OK I think and fetch another,plugs in, same sound. WTF I`m thinking.Then I glance at the Graphic tucked away behind the desk, and he`s pushed 40 and 60Hz all the way up to the stops,cut EVERYTHING else apart from 8K10Kand 20k which were again right up at the stops.
So there`s nothing between 60Hz and 8Khz..
So I went mental, asked why he had effectively halved the power of his rig,and ruined the tone and how the f*** were the vocals ever going to work?
He said it worked for his dub reggae night and that was that!
Won`t let me touch it. I nearly walked there and then.He`s basically EQd the rig to make his Roland kit sound more dubby and f*** everything else.
So now my stance is, OK your P.A sounds sh*t, but it`s your band, your gig and now it`s your responsibility.
Whenever he gets stuck I remind him I just play the bass, end of. :)
There are many more like him with all the gear and no idea.
Some of them even manage to get gigs... :)

I've always had really good auditions, only for it to turn out that me and the rest of the band are on different wavelengths.

Example - current originals band, had a really professional audition; nice guys, explain the songs to me so that I can play them straight off. We get on well and I'm thinking "This is a go-er"

1 Year on, 2 gigs played, and really can't be bothered with them anymore. It's the stereotypical guitar and drums problems - neither of them understand that when we are rehearsing, we aren't playing Wembley. I can barely keep up with a 500 watt Trace 4x10! That and when I am trying to talk with anyone (be it guitarist, drummer or singer) either the guitarist or drummer will see it as a perfect option to practice their fills/solos etc. When I brought it up with the drummer, he just looks really hard done by, and tells me that he needs to practice the songs too.

Yes, you do. In your own time. During BAND practice, is not the time for solo practice.

Last practice, I turned right down, and told them that if they wanted to be able to hear me, then they needed to play at my level. Only the drummer got the jist, so played quieter whenever I looked at him. Guitarist however, refused to turn down, and when I turned him down for us, he just turned right back up again.

Oh, and did I mention that the guitarist refuses to wear ear protection? He's 30, and I am pretty certain he must be completely deaf by now. Even with full ear protection I sometimes have to leave the room because I can start feeling my ears hurting!

*Breath* Rant over.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1323712487' post='1466139']
Get this.
I`m locked in a war of attrition with the drummer, who owns the P.A but has no idea how to use it.
So one week I said, these LD tops bark a bit when you push them, maybe a graphic EQ across the rig would help to smooth it out.
So he fetches a stereo graphic eq, mid range Peavey one. Fine for the job of pulling a few of those upper mids that were spoiling the vocal sound.
At first he let me set it up,as I know how to use one and slightly pulled a few freqs and declared myself happy till we heard how it went later.
He moaned like a bastard about how his kit sound was now ruined and why was I EQing the rig around the vocal only?
He uses a Roland TD20,stereo output.
I flattened the EQ , shrugged and walked away.
Fast forward two weeks,I haven`t gigged but he has.
We set up, I hand him my XLR cable from the D.I and he turns me up. f*** me what a dreadful weak sh*t sound.
"Your lead is no good. It`s your lead." sez he.
OK I think and fetch another,plugs in, same sound. WTF I`m thinking.Then I glance at the Graphic tucked away behind the desk, and he`s pushed 40 and 60Hz all the way up to the stops,cut EVERYTHING else apart from 8K10Kand 20k which were again right up at the stops.
So there`s nothing between 60Hz and 8Khz..
So I went mental, asked why he had effectively halved the power of his rig,and ruined the tone and how the f*** were the vocals ever going to work?
He said it worked for his dub reggae night and that was that!
Won`t let me touch it. I nearly walked there and then.He`s basically EQd the rig to make his Roland kit sound more dubby and f*** everything else.
So now my stance is, OK your P.A sounds sh*t, but it`s your band, your gig and now it`s your responsibility.
Whenever he gets stuck I remind him I just play the bass, end of. :)
There are many more like him with all the gear and no idea.
Some of them even manage to get gigs... :)
[/quote]

Your call of course, but I'd be tempted to walk unless there was an overwhelmingly good reason to stay. Last but one band I was in I did own the P.A., but reasoning that I'd be a bit busy to ride the faders during a gig I taught a mate and fellow muso how to use it. We gave him 10% of the gig fee and never, ever had any problems. He even worked out how to get a decent sound from it eventually. :)

Auditioned for a pretty good covers band a few years ago - their bass player was "moving on".

I was mailed a full set list and given a week before audition/rehearsal at a not too distant studio.

This went well - playing, attitude was excellent and generally friendly people.

I got the job and was told there were three gigs coming up culminating in a festival about 40 miles away; I was also on an equal share of the money as the rest of the band.

Played the gigs (the keyboard player's mate acting as roadie)and had a great time but didn't hear anymore for a few weeks afterwards.

I rang the guitarist and asked if there was a likely hood of any more work and was told "possibly" so I left it at that.
A month or so later me and her highness were invited to an old friends birthday barbeque and guess who was playing the party?

Yup - the band with the keyboard players mate playing bass or more accurately my bass lines!

I laughed and waited till half-time and went up and said "Hi" - lots of downcast eyes and blushes from the band but, God Bless Him, the bass player owned up - apparently he had been playing in a widdley, widdley band for years before and couldn't get the hang of this best mates bands repetoire so.....

they decided to get in another bass player for a few gigs so he could tag along, watch, record and learn how to do it!

Genius - I applaude them for cheek and inventiveness.

We continue to be really good friends with me now helping out as and when needed.

I am also humbled by the sideways compliment that my bass playing must be acceptable.

Most of my auditions have been fine, however when auditoning a 2nd guitarist for my metal band we had a bloke rock up, whilst setting up he says to me "so what tuning do you guys play in?" I a bit shocked (as he'd been sent a few tracks 2 weeks before) replied "err drop B mate" and saw his face fell, as i wondered back to the car for something i saw him frantically slackening off each string.

He then proceeded to pretend to play along to some of the tracks. Suffice to say he wasn't asked back

I got a phone call one day, I was 16 at the time, from a band that had heard about me and wanted me to audition for them. I didn't know any of the members, hadn't even heard of them, I still don't know how they knew about me.

The singer picked me up to take me to the audition, only, when we got there the venue had been double booked with an old folks Tea Dance! So we go to the lead guitarists tiny house. Me and the rhythm guitarist set up in the livingroom, the drummer in the kitchen, the lead in the hallway and the singer sitting on the stairs! About 20 minutes after starting some bloke from up the street starts banging on the door shouting that we'd woken his kid up. So we pack up. Suddenly everyone disappears into the bathroom, they emerge a few minutes later and ask if I'd like to join. Apparently those 20 minutes, my reputation as a player, my personality, enthusiasm and ability to put up with a daft situation and still have a laugh, got me the spot (that's what they told me). I have to say, they were a great bunch of guys and I had by far the best experience playing in a band with them. I still miss that band.

I had an audition last week, during which the singer belittled and berated the guitarist and drummer and then refused to sing any of their original songs blaming the guitarist for not being good enough for her to sing along to!.
I let the guys know that there were singers out there who weren't complete bitches and walked out of that one.....

OK, as it happens, I have a live update for any daft enough to be interested.
I`m watching Black Mirror online last night after reading the thread here, and afterwards check my email.
There is a mail from the band who contacted me last week and said they were sorting out auditions over the weekend.
So the mail received last night (Tues),goes,
"Sorry dave I don't know if I have left this a bit late but thought I had sent you an e mail
[size=4][font=arial, sans-serif]But can you make tomorrow night about 8.45ish to run through a couple of songs "[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]There follows a list of 7 songs.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]I reply that , yes that wasn`t much notice, and ask where the auditions were.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]He replies with the area and suggests they could arrange another day, I reply saying no, I could manage it,could they please send the full address.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]His last mail comes in a few min later with a map attached and the words[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]"cheers hope you can make[i] wed [/i].....did you get the songs "[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]So, it`s just past midnight and I`m thinking, Wed?? wtf?[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]I mail him back and ask him to confirm Tues or Wed.[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]No reply.[/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]I check this a.m no reply.[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]I send another mail asking for confirmation at 10 a.m[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]No reply.[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]I text the number he supplied, text not accepted[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]I try again, text not accepted.[/color][/font]

[font=times, serif][color=#000000]So what do you think guys,is this normal??[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]Dear me.[/color][/font]
[font=times, serif][color=#000000]Gotta be the drummer.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1323697285' post='1465907']
Only ever been to one or two auditions. The most recent one was basically a band rehearsal, however they invited two other bass players along to the same audition...!?
[/quote]

Yes, I've had this happen to me too. Bizarre. What with that and the keyboard player/band leader who didn't know the difference between Bmin and Gmaj7. it was clear we were never going to get on !

We auditioned for guitarists a couple of years ago and did it properly, as a result we got the right guitarist, wasted a minimum of our time, and didn't hurt anyone's feelings if they didn't get the gig. Why would anyone do it differently?

The one comment I don't understand in this thread is 'beware of bands who know the songs well'. If I were auditioning for an established band, I'd expect this.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1323638339' post='1465362']
[sup]No, but I wouldn't be doing those gigs after that waste of time. Bit disrespectful for pub sort of money.[/sup]
[/quote]

jep, neither would I. and it is completely disrespectful.

[i]edit: since I've read all posts here now. I know exactly what you are talking about.
you never meet more people in need of a therapy than in music "business" :)[/i]

Edited by the_krysh