Why become a member? ×

Squire Classic Vibe 50's Precision - Opinions?

Linus27

Whats the general opinion of the Squire Classic Vibe 50's Precision? I am thinking about getting one as a backup to my US Fender Precision for some big gigs I have next year. Will they do the job or pretty cheap and nasty? Also interested in the tone, one trick pony or nice and punchy with a tone dial that actually does something?

I tried the Blonde/Pine bodied version today and really liked it.

The neck is larger than a Jazz but pretty comfy still and I don't have huge hands. It sounds good with stock pickups but, being single-coil, there is a faint background hum (I was pretty close to the amp though).
Great fit and finish and looks very nice with the Pine grain showing through the finish.

My only beef, as I play mainly fingerstyle, is the lack of anything to anchor my thumb to - the SC pickup is pretty small and the edge of the pickup is close to the E string, otherwise a very nice bass.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1323801850' post='1467314']
[color=#800080]My only beef, as I play mainly fingerstyle, is the lack of anything to anchor my thumb to - the SC pickup is pretty small and the edge of the pickup is close to the E string, otherwise a very nice bass.[/color]
[/quote]

There's plenty of room to screw down a thumb rest, so not really big deal, but you can easily do without that if you use the edge of the pickup when playing the E string and the E string when playing the other 3, forced adaptation is a natural process. If you don't think of it as an hinderance you'll master it in no time.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've had this exact model(as pictured) for about eight months now, from when they were first issued in UK. I also have two other Squier Classic Vibe guitar models, so you may guess that I am very pleased with the quality of this series. Let's put it into perspective. You are getting a really good quality build of guitar/bass for around UK£ 300. Mine is reasonably lightweight, well set-up, nice finish & comfortable to play. The tone control works surprisingly well for a 'budget' priced model, & goes from a nice deep mellow P.Bass thump to the ring of the low notes on a piano. Such a nice surprise. I did write a much fuller review of this bass earlier in the year, if you want to look it up. Well worth checking out for a first bass, let alone as a spare.

Regards, Tony.

The thumb-rest issue (for those of us who like one) simply won't go away. That pickup design is too unstable and too uncomfortable to base yourself on for a whole gig.

Also, if you're a dig-in type of player (like me) it becomes possible to twang the E hard enough that it goes past the edge of the pickup and hooks itself against the gubbins inside. At best embarassing, at worst very noisy and expensive to repair. You don't need to play like a gorilla to make this happen.

Pickup upgrade is the way to go, failing which this is one type of bass on which ashtrays look really good:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Crinson%20Telebass%202007%20SOLD/MVC_039S.jpg[/IMG]