Why become a member? ×

Provisionally Sold: 1974 P Bass in wonderful condition

Old Horse Murphy

Due to unforeseen circumstances (nothing onerous, just a new opportunity :)) I am putting up my 1974 Fender P bass up for sale/trade.

It is in wonderful condition and there is very little wear at all on the body (hardly any on the body whatsoever) or the neck (other than the marks down the treble side of the neck as is common on maple fingerboards of this era). It also weighs in at 8lbs 8, so is incredibly comfortable.

The bass is a 74 P bass, but the body and the electrics actually date back to 1973, so it's a turn of the year bass (either a Sagittarius or a Capricorn).

Everything is in fully working order and I was told by a reputable source who supplied this bass that it is all-original apart from the pickguard screws. It also comes with a WD Music black 70's P Bass pickguard.

It's really clean and I think you would struggle to find one is such good condition easily. THe neck and frets are again in great condition and the Trussrod works perfectly with no issues.

The Bass is strung with D'Addario Chromes and plays superbly and sounds absolutely ace :)

There are more detailed pictures here: [url="http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad298/nwmurphy/P%20Bass/"]http://s945.photobuc...urphy/P%20Bass/[/url]

I had the bass taken apart before I bought it to check for the usual marks etc. and can supply pics of all the guts and neck etc. if required and would welcome inspection of the Bass.

Due to the condition of this Bass (it really is that good), I'm looking for £1,450 or would accept trades with:
2 EQ Stingray,
Rickenbacker 4003 plus a bit of cash my way,
Fender USA 5 String Jazz bass (new series),
Status S2
Markbass CMD121P

plus cash my way.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I was born in Jan 1973, so almost my year of birth bass.
Lovely bit of wood! Assuming this was always a natural? (ie not stripped of its paint)
Love it with the black pickguard particularly, just wish I had the dough!

Bump for a beauty!

[quote name='loweringthetone' timestamp='1323366344' post='1462588']
Hi Nick,

Wondering if this could be a natural match for my 1975 which seems to have a jazz type rosewood neck

What is the width at the nut please ?
Is it a A,B,C neck ?
[/quote]

HI mate

It's a B width neck.

Cheers

[quote name='loweringthetone' timestamp='1323378745' post='1462821']
Thanks Nick,

Errrm, ... showing my total ignorance of Fender neck widths I had to look this up.

B is 1 5/8th inches at the nut Im told
[/quote]

Yes, just measured it and got rather disapproving looks from my wife when I ran upstairs with a ruler to measure my nuts...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...