Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz - with J-Retro - value ?

BigBeatNut

And before anyone says "try putting it on sale" it's not mine ... I've seen it for sale locally and it looks like a bit of a bargain.

Natural finish, maple neck with blocks and a j-retro (or something that looks very like one, 3 stacked knobs, 2 mini-toggles).

It's not something I'll make a move on (the j-retro is interesting but I don't play 4s anymore), so I'll let on where it is later ... if it looks like a bargain.

Andy

Without knowing which Squier Jazz, in addition to condition, then it's impossible to say. The modification won't add what the value of the parts/cost of the work would be. It's easy to spend several hundreds of pounds on a cheap instrument and only get a fraction back at resale. My general rule of thumb has always been to try asking for circa 25 per cent of modification costs back at resale.

Hmmm, mixed messages so far.

Well, it's got a price tag of £160 on it. Whoever wants it will need to get to London, because it's in a shop, not your usual music shop. Suspect whoever priced it doesn't know about the j-retro.

PM me for exact location. Don't want to publicly mention it (because I'd hope it would go to someone who wants to play it, not someone looking to profit)

Andy

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1323119556' post='1459600']
J retro ? Is that a john east retro ?
[/quote]
That what it looked like to me.

Forgot to mention 'Duncan Design' pickups ... are they a standard feature of some Fenders/Squiers ? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that was what it had.

Last seen late Saturday afternoon. Haven't walked by the shop since.

Andy

Natural and maple, duncan designed... it seems it's probably a Squier Jazz "Vintage Modified" series. I bought mine, used, for £180. To buy it for £160 I'd say it's a great price. That's with the stock controls. If it indeed as a J-Retro then It's a tremendous bargain.
Funny, I have a J-Retro that I'm going to put on my VM Jazz.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1323124462' post='1459675']
Natural and maple, duncan designed... it seems it's probably a Squier Jazz "Vintage Modified" series. I bought mine, used, for £180. To buy it for £160 I'd say it's a great price. That's with the stock controls. If it indeed as a J-Retro then It's a tremendous bargain.
Funny, I have a J-Retro that I'm going to put on my VM Jazz.
[/quote]

What mcnash said including the price payed and the bit about putting a J retro in a VM

(Parallel lives or what!! :) )

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1323167573' post='1459919']
What mcnash said including the price payed and the bit about putting a J retro in a VM

(Parallel lives or what!! :) )

A
[/quote]

I'm looking over my shoulder now... :)

I'm actually putting a black plate on mine, probably. I have one and I thought I'd try drilling the extra holes in it. I did that last night, seems ok... but I did not realise that the 3 holes for the 3 knobs need to be slightly wider than they are, and I did not have a suitable drill bit... I bought two drill bits last night and I am waiting for them to arrive. If I don't mess it all up, I'll post the results: VM jazz with black plate J-Retro, and cream-covered DiMarzio Model J pickups.

Bigbeatnut I recone that bass is at half price. I summise the seller (Im guessing its not a music shop from what youve told) looked at the Squier name and just about new enough to think its a cheap copy that only kids play. Who said you cant get a real bargain these days :o

(Right thats the bit to keep me on topic :) )

Jose I too pondered a black plate but never got round to it. BTW unless you have a bench drill it may be a little dodgey trying to widen holes in steel plate 'free hand' at that diameter. If its only a mm or so I would get some dowel and course emery cloth. Will be slower but you wont end up with either a propeller on the end of your drill :) or a hexagonal hole! :)

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1323189850' post='1460356']
Bigbeatnut I recone that bass is at half price. I summise the seller (Im guessing its not a music shop from what youve told) looked at the Squier name and just about new enough to think its a cheap copy that only kids play. Who said you cant get a real bargain these days :lol:

(Right thats the bit to keep me on topic :) )

Jose I too pondered a black plate but never got round to it. BTW unless you have a bench drill it may be a little dodgey trying to widen holes in steel plate 'free hand' at that diameter. If its only a mm or so I would get some dowel and course emery cloth. Will be slower but you wont end up with either a propeller on the end of your drill :) or a hexagonal hole! :o

A
[/quote]

Ha ha, I'll report back. I'm hoping that if I am careful I will manage. If not... I still have the original plate and I would have learnt something :)

Why is it that when I get a drill in my hand I start looking for things that might need a hole or two? :o

Well, both drill bits arrived this morning. So when I got home tonight I put them to good use, and I am happy to report it all went smoothly.
Ok, the small holes I drilled for the switches were a tiny bit off... so I ended enlarging those too, but the nut covers it :)
And here it is: a J-Retro with a black plate:

I think it's going to be very perrrrty on the natural/maple Squier VM Jazz :)
The cream coloured pickup covers of the DiMarzio Model Js may be a bit much, but... we will see :)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1323375652' post='1462766']
That IS very pretty mcnash. :o

BTW remind me what the relevence of those pics to this thread where again?? :) B) :)

A
[/quote]

Relevance... relevance... tch... who cares about relevance when it looks THAT good! :o
I could argue that illustrates what a J-Retro looks like.
But I won't.
And... it's mcnach mcnach mcnach mcnach! Not mcnaSh... :)
:lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1323422657' post='1463075']
Relevance... relevance... tch... who cares about relevance when it looks THAT good! :)
I could argue that illustrates what a J-Retro looks like.
But I won't.
And... it's mcnach mcnach mcnach mcnach! Not mcnaSh... :)
:)
[/quote]

OOOOhhh do I hear the mcnashing of teeth from mcnach?? :o

Pity the sockets and switches are soldered to the PCB or you could have gone all black like my Rosie :o

A

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1323432980' post='1463272']
here i am tyring to find the funds to upgrade my squier J to a nice pair of wizards as my christmas treat and now i have J-retro GAS too :)
[/quote]

J-Retro and Wizard 64's - a potent mix :)

A

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1323030600' post='1458512']
And before anyone says "try putting it on sale" it's not mine ... I've seen it for sale locally and it looks like a bit of a bargain.

Natural finish, maple neck with blocks and a j-retro (or something that looks very like one, 3 stacked knobs, 2 mini-toggles).

It's not something I'll make a move on (the j-retro is interesting but I don't play 4s anymore), so I'll let on where it is later ... if it looks like a bargain.

Andy
[/quote]

Any update on this baby?

A

• 1 month later...