Why become a member? ×

Probably the nicest bass I have played

Linus27

I have had a fair few basses over the year (Not as many as some of you nutters here) with some good ones and some not so good ones. The best I have had are a Fender 1977 Precision which sounded superb. A Musicman Stingray which had a beautiful neck and feel. A 1973 Fender Telecaster bass which was fat and solid. An ESP 400 Series which is such a lovely, friendly, easy to play jazz bass. A few other pretty decent ones also over the years by Fender, Status and Bass Collection. However, do you know what I think is the best bass I have ever played. My Squire Vintage Modifed Fretless Jazz. Not only has it got a neck on it that feels smooth and equals the Musicman, but the tone and punch is amazing. It just sounds and plays superb and its the best bass I have ever owned. plus it looks fantastic.

Just thought I would share this as I am pretty surprised at this.

This is a point I raised in the current sx thread going on. Im now convinced it doesnt really matter where your bass is made or what it says on the headstock, there are some models of some cheap basses that play great and more expensive basses that play like sh*te

[quote name='kevbass' post='164822' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:25 PM']This is a point I raised in the current sx thread going on. Im now convinced it doesnt really matter where your bass is made or what it says on the headstock, there are some models of some cheap basses that play great and more expensive basses that play like sh*te[/quote]

I certainly agree to an extent. I've said for ages Fenders are Fenders. If you taped over the "Made in " and homogenised the hardware, 99% of people would be unable to tell MIMs from MIAs.

I am with you, Linus27. maybe that's not the BEST bass I ever had, but certainly one of top three favourites. I upgraded it with Nordstrand pups and it became a stunner! It's a bass I got most compliments after gigs,ever - that's for sure! It's a KEEPER - I don't need to say more than that.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='166065' date='Mar 29 2008, 08:51 PM']I've just got the VM precision for £189 new from gak.co.uk and am in love. If I had the money I would get the fretted AND fretless jazz to complete the set![/quote]

you'd need squier telebass aswell,that would be complete VM set.

I have used a few really nice basses over the years including an early 60s Jazz which was lovely, an Alembic which had a sound that I have never heard bettered but the one bass that really sticks in my mind as the best bass I ever played was a Gordy headless bass. Made by one of the Gordon Smith Partners when they split. It was Status in style but played and sounded better than any status I have ever played. I tried it in Highway Music in Manchester and they wanted 400 dabs for it. which was back in 1992 ish. I went back the following day armed with the cash which I had scrounged from my dad and they had sold it. I almost cried. The action on it was virtually none existant and there was not a single buzz anywhere on the neck. I am feeling depressed even now just thinking about it.

I would think they only made a few so tracking one down now would be nigh on impossible

I own a variety of basses from well-respected marques, manufactured in France, Germany, Japan, Korea, the USA, and even England.

The biggest surprises?

My Squier 70's VMJ with a BadAss II on it, and the OLP MM3 I won in the raffle @ the last bash.
Both sport excellent fretwork, stable necks and a better quality of tone than you'd expect from instruments in that price range.

In terms of playability, I rate S2 Vigiers very highly now, having played Ped's Passion and the good Doctors' Arpege recently.
Awesome.