Why become a member? ×

Reccommend Me An Electro-Acoustic?

Hot Tub

I guess it depends what your idea of cheap is?

With my (albiet limited) experience of accoustics the cheaper they are, the less satisfying they are to play and own! Which in my eyes defeats the object of what you want....

Its gotta be an instrumant that you [i][b]want[/b][/i] to pick up and play surely?

From what I've seen so far, I'd say the Ibanez range are the cheapest that play 1/2 well!

If budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Tacoma Thunderchief. £700 but a massive sound with Phosper Bronze strings. Play mine with Black tapewounds which loses some of the volume but gives it a bit of a double bass sound. Before anybody comes back with a quip I'll emphasise [b]a bit of [/b]a double bass sound.

[quote name='Gloria stits' post='165122' date='Mar 28 2008, 11:23 AM']If budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Tacoma Thunderchief. £700 but a massive sound with Phosper Bronze strings. Play mine with Black tapewounds which loses some of the volume but gives it a bit of a double bass sound. Before anybody comes back with a quip I'll emphasise [b]a bit of [/b]a double bass sound.[/quote]
This is a great sounding bass. Wish I could afford the 5 string version.

[quote name='Paul_C' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:37 AM' post='165038']
I've got a Washburn AB10 I'm selling for £200 ..

BUY THIS! I've had one for a few years and it really is a great bass.

NB. Most electro-acoustic bass guitars are really only useful when amplified, so don't buy one if you want to use it completey unplugged, as they are too quiet.

The Adam Black I reviewed was great - that was RRP £299 I believe.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14339"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14339[/url]

[url="http://www.rosetti.co.uk/products/adamblack/b10.htm"]http://www.rosetti.co.uk/products/adamblack/b10.htm[/url]

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='165151' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:13 PM'][quote name='Paul_C' post='165038' date='Mar 28 2008, 08:37 AM']
I've got a Washburn AB10 I'm selling for £200 ..[/quote]

BUY THIS! I've had one for a few years and it really is a great bass.

NB. Most electro-acoustic bass guitars are really only useful when amplified, so don't buy one if you want to use it completey unplugged, as they are too quiet.
[/quote]
I've gigged mine unplugged (competing with a keyboard and an acoustic guitar)

With the bronze strings the Tacoma will just about hold it's own with an acoustic unplugged. Very few, if any ABG can do this.

For £200 though the Washburn is a good buy, just be prepared to amplify if you want to play with other musicians .

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='165171' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:30 PM']BUY THIS! I've had one for a few years and it really is a great bass.

I've gigged mine unplugged (competing with a keyboard and an acoustic guitar)[/quote]

Difference of opinion here. Never played the Washburn so I'd say my opinion is not the most knowledgeable

I took it to an acoustic Open Mic session (but without the mic!). I played with two acoustic guitarists and congas. That's when I realised my Washburn AB10 was too quiet. Ironically, when with the band normally, I change basses mid set to play it, and I have to turn down, as it really is the loudest bass I've got!