Why become a member? ×

Dingwall Super P prototype

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1328026687' post='1520518']
Me likey. That would match my old band's stage backdrop.

I know you were only joking but anybody into it?
[/quote]

All my basses have it on somewhere, usually scratch plates.

Ibanez do a fully checkered bass but it's an Iceman and I don't like the shape.

This used to be my set up

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1328127274' post='1522396']
Yeah, why not available in left hand?
[/quote]

Well mainly the reason for these basses not being available left handed is that it would be extremely costly to produce them in response to an already minimal demand for them, assuming a ratio of 1 to a 1000 possibly.

Items like the neck & fretboard but in particular things like the bridge they need to be machined purposedly for the left hand. While you can reverse the saddle position on any standard bass brdige and get away with it, a left handed HIPSHOT (Edit: Not Gotoh) made Dingall bridge would need to be rebuilt from scratch. Body blanks and pickups also need to be redesigned in reverse (needing new CNC implementations)

In conclusion, for what I have read on the Dingwall forum it appears that a leftie Dingwall is something that we won't see for a long time yet. Harsh but true. :(

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1328128955' post='1522444']
Well mainly the reason for these basses not being available left handed is that it would be extremely costly to produce them in response to an already minimal demand for them, assuming a ratio of 1 to a 1000 possibly.

Items like the neck & fretboard but in particular things like the bridge they need to be machined purposedly for the left hand. While you can reverse the saddle position on any standard bass brdige and get away with it, a left handed HIPSHOT (Edit: Not Gotoh) made Dingall bridge would need to be rebuilt from scratch. Body blanks and pickups also need to be redesigned in reverse (needing new CNC implementations)

In conclusion, for what I have read on the Dingwall forum it appears that a leftie Dingwall is something that we won't see for a long time yet. Harsh but true. :(
[/quote]Thanks for that GW.

In response, I'll stick with builders who recognise that 1 in 10 people are left handed and are happy to produce instruments that cater for them. ie, Status, Wal, Jaydee, ACG, Shuker, Sei, etc.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1328133288' post='1522554']
Thanks for that GW.

In response, I'll stick with builders who recognise that 1 in 10 people are left handed and are happy to produce instruments that cater for them. ie, Status, Wal, Jaydee, ACG, Shuker, Sei, etc.
[/quote]

Fair enough. I'm a left handed in most sports so am simpathetic to the frustrations of left-handed players. It's simply that our cost of building left-handed versions is prohibitive. That being said a future hybrid model is being planned that will be left-handed only. Long scale, our high-end saddles, ABII spec for the rest. Haven't found reverse taper pots so that might force us to use standard rotation controls (we can reverse the rotary switch though).

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1328203004' post='1523644']
Fair enough. I'm a left handed in most sports so am simpathetic to the frustrations of left-handed players. It's simply that our cost of building left-handed versions is prohibitive. That being said a future hybrid model is being planned that will be left-handed only. Long scale, our high-end saddles, ABII spec for the rest. Haven't found reverse taper pots so that might force us to use standard rotation controls (we can reverse the rotary switch though).
[/quote]

Any news on my signature Jazz?

• 4 weeks later...

I went down to the Bass Gallery today and guess who happened to be there? Non other than Sheldon Dingwall himself! What a nice guy. We had a long chat, and he let me demo the 5 string Super P, as well as one of the Combustion series and I've got to say, WOW. I must admit, I've always thought of fanned frets as a gimmick. They look pretty cool, but I didn't really appreciate the benefits until I played one. I was absolutely astounded. The tone was absolutely gorgeous, and I found them so easy to play, and it was by far the lightest 5 string I've ever had the pleasure of picking up. If I could afford one, I'd buy one. ASAP. Seriously good basses.

Thanks again Sheldon for producing such wonderful instruments, and for the kind comments about my playing!

James

Edited by Higgie

[quote name='Higgie' timestamp='1330964484' post='1565449']
...I didn't really appreciate the benefits until I played one. I was absolutely astounded. The tone was absolutely gorgeous, and I found them so easy to play, and it was by far the lightest 5 string I've ever had the pleasure of picking up. If I could afford one, I'd buy one. ASAP. Seriously good basses...
[/quote]

+1 GW was kind enough to let me try out his Fiesta Red/Pearl Dingwall Super J P/J 5-string last Monday night (thanks, Fran!). What a superb instrument. It can nail practically any tone you can think of, it's incredibly playable (it practically plays itself), the fanned frets make it much easier to play, the string spacing is the same as a four, the offset bridge and nut make for a very even balance and the build quality is second to none.I'd get one too Higgie like a shot, if I had the cabbage!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1331242731' post='1570322']
I really am going to have to try a Dingwall.

I have small hands so I don't know if I could possibly cope with a partial 37 scale (My main bass is 32) but the tech really appeals to me.
[/quote]

Yeah Dingwall fanned fret basses have been on my "to try" list for ages. Well just Dingwall basses of any shape or form really. I dont think I've ever even seen a single one in a shop. Sigh! :mellow: