Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to play in two bands?

Benplaysbass

When both bands were busy it was first come first serve for gigs and I was very up to speed with a diary on my phone. Not that difficult but you've got to be certain when you're free and when you're not. Also if there are tricky band politics you need to tread carefully.

I only ever had to bump rehearsals for gigs which was lucky.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1322513146' post='1451989']
Have to agree here. If I've made a commitment, I follow it through. Even if it's a charity freebee. Currently in 4 bands (got out of Nos 5 & 6 recently)

It works okay, have a Google diary that is shared between the bands. All the gigs go on it so at any point, anyone can see if a dep is needed and gets it sorted.

Main band does about 20 a year, the others tot up about another 20 between them. Only went pear shaped once and ended up doing four in two days, but lucky as it was afternoon / evening on both days.
[/quote]

this does annoy me.. think people are missing the point.. If the gig has been given the respect of not just fobbing it off, rather finding a suitable dep (not any old player), I see no problem, but I would bet money this comment is made by someone who hasn't worked as a full-time musician and it not a case of just going to the best paid and sacking off the your regular work. All the people who work with me say that I give 150% and learn all the songs and I'm the same with deps I choose. But at the same time you have to take every opportunity.

I'm in 3 bands. Two are blues bands and one is an acoustic rootsy kind of band playing original music. I can see the two blues bands stepping on each others toes as they play most weekends but the original band's gigs are few and far between. I want to get back to playing professionally so if I'm going to be a bass for hire I'll have to get used to letting people down gently when I can't do the gig.

I managed 3 bands at once for a while on top of a busy stressful job. It probably led to the break up of my marriage but it can be done. I kept them very separate - people don't want your other project forced on them. Be open but then keep it low key. I was up front at the start & people genuinely forgot - I had people at the end say "I didn't know you had another band" when I'd mentioned it when I met them originally.

More recently I've thought about a 2nd project again but to be honest my life is too full with other stuff away from music. I will do jams & stand ins etc though

Never a problem having more than one band, I think now if you are professional about it it is the only way to make a living as a musician. As long as peoples expectations are managed I cannot see anything wrong with it.

Mind you, how someone can have a job and be in 5 bands that hardly gig I can not imagine. I think if I was playing for kicks ( which I do now ) I would rather be in one band and really try to make that one band successful and fun. The grass is not always greener.

Im in two and dep for others, first in the dairy and everyone knows to check first before agreeing the anything

Not sure if this would work if one band got really busy though, but at the mo its not an issue

I guess honest and open about what you can do is always the best way

I think many of us who 'freelance' are used to putting in deps if necessary but I think there is a hierarchy of priorities that each holds for one reason or another and it is an individual thing. I have one band that I always put first because it rehearses and has no charts so it is difficult to dep whereas most standards gigs can go out to a dep with no real detriment. My take is that its not just my income I have to consider but everyone elses as well e.g. I won't cancel on people who are pros and need the income. I stress that I am not a pro and don't 'need' the money enough to blow people out but I also get that this is a luxury some can't afford.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1322558507' post='1452446']
I managed 3 bands at once for a while on top of a busy stressful job. [i][b]It probably led to the break up of my marriage[/b][/i] but it can be done. I kept them very separate[/quote]

Grief - I'll need to watch myself then as I'm in the same situation now. I think everyone's points are pretty good about this, as long as all parties are clear and you watch the diary like a hawk then fill your boots.

The thing about commitment demands is a funny one - a lot of bands demand it in the bit of fag packet that masquerades as a wanted ad on a rehearsal room. The reality though is like two gigs a month and one rehearsal a week. That leaves a LOT of time for doing hee-haw.