Why become a member? ×

Synth bass guys...

Faithless

Having just got my first lil' synth bass keyboard,Microkorg, for doing pop gigs, I've been listening to some Pop/RnB synth bass playing lately, cats like Usher, Mary J Blige, Brian McNight, Jessie J, and I've been really inspired by some of that stuff...
What's yours?

This guy is a monster, Kern Brantley (Usher, Lady Gaga, Destiny's Child, Ne-yo) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhOOnedNOk[/media]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6JyuC7-0KEo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyuC7-0KEo[/url]

easy
Laimis

Edited by Faithless

But it's the player that plays the darned thing, not the keyboard itself, isn't it :)
I mean, I can't deny the musicality and fluidity of Kern Barntley, for instance - in fact, I'm years behind him with this stuff, which means that the human-factor is still important at this particular genre.

I'll check out that Terry Lewis, thanks.
And, yes, Phillinganes is one of the leading cats in this sort of thing.

Laimis

Edited by Faithless

Greg Phillinganes & Stevie Wonder for me.
Giorgio Moroder on some of the older sequenced stuff.
Herbie Hancock & George Duke did some great stuff.
And of course Bernard Wright.
And if you want human.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylQMhYqSntk[/media]

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='StoutFellow' timestamp='1322343757' post='1449807']
Saw Joan As Police Woman play in NY in May this year. No bass player - the keyboard player did it all with his left hand.I was quite impressed. My brother who is not a bass player though they needed a bass player. But he may just have wanted to be polite....
[/quote]

As per the early doors-Ray Manzarek,The KB player performed all the bass lines with his lefthand

I found my love for the Novation Bass Station through a great band I was into a few years back, called 'Peace Burial at Sea', (since split up, believe a few people are in a band called 'Ghosts of Old Berlin' now)

The Bass Station was on my radar cos of Radiohead, but it was these guys who made me want one.

Player-wise I have a lot of respect for the likes of Vince Clarke and Brian Eno.

Composition-wise I immediately think of old stalwarts such as Vangelis and John Carpenter.

In terms of synthesis I personally think that some of the most cutting-edge sounds can be found in genres like dubstep; artists like Feed Me (and even Skrillex) who manage to twist synth sounds in every which way your granny would disapprove of :)

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1322345613' post='1449843']
As per the early doors-Ray Manzarek,The KB player performed all the bass lines with his lefthand
[/quote]
RM indeed did all the bass stuff live and studio for forst couple of albums, later it was a mixture. Mostly RM on keys but they also used session bass players on some albums. Considering it wasn't even the same keyboard he was using for the bass parts compared with the lead lines it really looks quite impressive!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1322307893' post='1449112']
Having just got my first lil' synth bass keyboard,Microkorg, for doing pop gigs, I've been listening to some Pop/RnB synth bass playing lately, cats like Usher, Mary J Blige, Brian McNight, Jessie J, and I've been really inspired by some of that stuff...
What's yours?

This guy is a monster, Kern Brantley (Usher, Lady Gaga, Destiny's Child, Ne-yo) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYhOOnedNOk[/media]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6JyuC7-0KEo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyuC7-0KEo[/url]

easy
Laimis
[/quote]

More videos along the lines of this one please :)

Question for you synth players - do you find lots of situations where you have to play parts with two hands, I mean use the left hand too? Or is left hand more 'dedicated' to just switching octaves and messing with pitch most of the times?

In other words is it ok to do the shedding on synth with just right hand, or do I want to shed the left hand as well?

easy
Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1322602263' post='1453490']
Question for you synth players - do you find lots of situations where you have to play parts with two hands, I mean use the left hand too? Or is left hand more 'dedicated' to just switching octaves and messing with pitch most of the times?

In other words is it ok to do the shedding on synth with just right hand, or do I want to shed the left hand as well?

easy
Laimis
[/quote]

I don't think it matters, there are no set rules. I play almost exclusively with my right hand and do all the pitch bend and modulation wheel messing with my left. I think being adaptable with both has its merits, and if you're coming from a piano/keys background you're going to be just as adaptive with your left because you'll have spent you're whole life playing bass parts with your left hand.

If you're looking for a soft synth then you really can't go far wrong with Imposcar 2 - great basses, great pads and great leads. Hardware wise I chose a Kurzweil PC361 because it has a very powerful virtual analogue synth built into it and some great "cinematic" string pads which when played lower down are extremely effective, however its electric bass samples aren't so good but that's not a problem - if I want an electric bass I'll play one (I suppose it's a bit like playing darts on an XBox; if you want to play darts then get a dart board!)

Edited by darkandrew

Thanks Jake, will take your advice, the only problem with shedding both hands at the same time is that Microkorg's keyboard range is pretty narrow, so I can only do two octaves/each hand, not to mention small keys (and they're REALLY small, man..!!)

Eh, somehow....

As for previous experience, I've played classical piano for 8 years or something, so I'm quite familiar with this (though I've lost my chops over 5-6 year gap), but those lil' Korg keys are making all the difference..

I have to find some time to start transcribing Justin Timberlake's "Right For Me", which has a wicked synth line. Will post up the dots later on in coming few days time, if anyone's interested in shedding that.

PS Oh my,oh my that synth line on Jay-z's tune is out of control, man!!!! Is that you Jake playing your Gaia??)

Edited by Faithless

Got a Roland PK5 recently and that is presently firing sounds on a Roland D110 rack.

All pretty vintage stuff and, unless I was going to take up tap dancing, is just used for low bass notes on hold. I do find that it is safer to play in socks as there is more chance of accuracy. With shoes on - unless they were winkle pickers - I just end up triggering the wrong note.

The original intention was to use them to trigger samples in a Sampletank Player on the laptop, but as the PK5 is MIDI with no USB connector I was getting notes sticking & all sorts so that idea had to be shelved sadly as I have LOADS of samples in ST including SampleMoog (so Moog's through the ages)

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1322662989' post='1454100']
unless I was going to take up tap dancing, is just used for low bass notes on hold. I do find that it is safer to play in socks as there is more chance of accuracy. With shoes on - unless they were winkle pickers - I just end up triggering the wrong note.
[/quote]

So you are saying that you play a Synth with your feet ?

Garry

[quote name='Faithless' timestamp='1322660587' post='1454059']
Thanks Jake, will take your advice, the only problem with shedding both hands at the same time is that Microkorg's keyboard range is pretty narrow, so I can only do two octaves/each hand, not to mention small keys (and they're REALLY small, man..!!)

Eh, somehow....

As for previous experience, I've played classical piano for 8 years or something, so I'm quite familiar with this (though I've lost my chops over 5-6 year gap), but those lil' Korg keys are making all the difference..

I have to find some time to start transcribing Justin Timberlake's "Right For Me", which has a wicked synth line. Will post up the dots later on in coming few days time, if anyone's interested in shedding that.

PS Oh my,oh my that synth line on Jay-z's tune is out of control, man!!!! Is that you Jake playing your Gaia??)
[/quote]

Aha no man, I wish! In the middle of learning, trying to get the runs to sound smooth! I'll post a clip when I'm done.