Why become a member? ×

EBS multi-comp switch broken!

bottomfeed

Just when my Xmas contract is about to start!.... The little active/passive switch decides to stop working!.. won't switch to active anymore...

Not really a biggy but I normally play active basses, so I open the thing up to see if it's something simple that I can sort myself...

In doing so, I make the whole thing worse with the switch almost pulling completely off the circuit board! :)

What I'd read on[b] ovnilab.com[/b] didn't fill me with confidence about the multi-comp either....

[i][b]"[/b][b]EBS MultiComp[/b]: OK, I have been avoiding saying this for some time, but it needs to be said. EBS pedals seem to "go bad" over time, more noticeably than other pedal brands. They are [u]great[/u] when new, and the positive comments in my review apply in that case. But over just a few years they can develop issues such as distortion, switches failing, increased noise, or erratic behavior."[/i]

It's quite an unusual looking switch, doesn't look like a bog standard of the shelf jobbie to me... So I emailed EBS to ask advice & got a reply almost immediately ...Saying they would send me a replacement switch for free!... I was pretty impressed with that!

That little switch seems a bit of an Achilles heal to me.... Has anyone else experienced any problems with EBS pedals?

Edited by bottomfeed

You didn't say which generation pedal you have - but the problem got worse when they moved to the PCB surface mounted switch. The original Swedish non true bypass versions were superior in the fact that they have flying cables going to the switch which meant any duff switches could be replaced easily. Now that the switches on the true bypass versions are soldered directly to the board, it makes replacement very difficult unless you have some smart arsed solder sucker. You're just as well getting a new switch (make sure it will fit in the cavity between the pedal top and the circuit inside) and attach it to the circuit using flying leads after you have cut the existing switch out. It's a cost cutting exercise that has become a pain in the arse. I much prefer the original non true bypass versions - and this cheap switch failing annoyance is just one of the reasons why. Never experienced distortion, erratic behaviour or anything like that though...

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1322153480' post='1447328']
You didn't say which generation pedal you have - but the problem got worse when they moved to the PCB surface mounted switch. The original Swedish non true bypass versions were superior in the fact that they have flying cables going to the switch which meant any duff switches could be replaced easily. Now that the switches on the true bypass versions are soldered directly to the board, it makes replacement very difficult unless you have some smart arsed solder sucker. You're just as well getting a new switch (make sure it will fit in the cavity between the pedal top and the circuit inside) and attach it to the circuit using flying leads after you have cut the existing switch out. It's a cost cutting exercise that has become a pain in the arse. I much prefer the original non true bypass versions - and this cheap switch failing annoyance is just one of the reasons why. Never experienced distortion, erratic behaviour or anything like that though...
[/quote]

I've got a first generation grey non-true bypass Multicomp. Despite the warning on Ovnilab about the older ones, mine is still going strong, no issues. Though it hasn't got an active switch, it works fine with my P-Retro.

Mine's the true bypass modern one.... I like everything about it other than that side switch!... When the replacement switch turns up, I'll get some 'smart arsed solder sucker' to fit it in whichever way makes life easier... [i](point noted about using flying leads,ta!) [/i]

.......Having to use my old Tech 21 compactor while I wait.... makes me appreciate the multicomp, though!

Edited by bottomfeed

Started a topic in Repairs / Technical issues re a new version Dynaverb where the metal reverb type switch has broken. Emailed EBS and waiting for a reply; I'm interested in any information you may get re repairs etc. If I'd seen this I would have just tagged on my question!

Cheers

Charla

[quote name='Charla' timestamp='1323276516' post='1461497']
Started a topic in Repairs / Technical issues re a new version Dynaverb where the metal reverb type switch has broken. Emailed EBS and waiting for a reply; I'm interested in any information you may get re repairs etc. If I'd seen this I would have just tagged on my question!

Cheers

Charla
[/quote]

That's the first I've heard of the select switch breaking but thats defo one to source from EBS I would have thought.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]My update is... I'm waiting for the replacement switch... [/font][/size]

[size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="navy"][size=2]Should be able to send it by the end of this week, or early next, and then a couple days for shipping.[/size][/color][/size][/font][/size][size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="navy"][size=2] [/size][/color][/size][/font][/size][size=3]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="navy"][size=2]/Ralf[/size][/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size=3]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Meanwhile I'm halfway through my Xmas contract gigs & having to use my old Tech 21 compactor, bah!... [/font][/size][/size]

[quote name='Charla' timestamp='1323424706' post='1463114']
Got a price to repair, just as cheap to buy a second hand pedal ......... so it looks like I'll be getting some practice with a soldering iron!!!!!!!

Still waiting to hear from EBS.

Cheers

Charla
[/quote]

Sheesh, that's bad! Was the repair quote from an 'official' EBS Uk distributor, 'Sound Technology' tech repair place?

What email address are you using?... [email protected] ?
After my initial 1st quick reply from them, it took 2 other emails with no reply & a 3rd with [b]'Are you receiving my emails?'[/b] in the subject bar before I got another reply....

The quote was from Sound Technology, they are going to source a switch for me. The pedal still works it's just that I can't swicth between the hall / plate / room modes. I don't even know what mode it's in at the moment ..... not that it maters tooo much. Think I'll ask someone with soldering experience to fit the new switch, it looks a bit tight in there!!!!!!!!!

I have replies from the EBS email address before, they just seem a bit `hit & miss'.

Cheers

Charla