Why become a member? ×

Gallien Krueger MB200

Wylie

Sorry if this has been done, but I've looked around BC and haven't found information on this amp. Various reviews elsewhere praise it to the skies. The power sounds about right for what I want, and I'd run a Schroeder light 12 (8 ohm) cab out of it. Electric bass, not double bass.

Anyone have a take on this amp?

Thanks.

[attachment=93434:300x96x667209-300x96.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ePtyzMda3F.jpg]

Edited by tedgilley

This is my favourite amp, I do most of my gigs with this amp and an Epifani UL110

for louder gigs I have the GK MB210 combo but I prefer the sound of the MB200 / Epifani

There's a second hand one up for grabs on here, but I just noticed your on the other side of the pond.

Go get one buddy, you won't regret it!

I borrowed one of these for a couple of weeks, but I play in rock bands rather than jazz so when I reached for my wallet I actually bought its big brother, the MB500.

Not only does the MB500 have (obviously) much more power on tap, but the extra functionality is well worth having IMHO.

I also play in a loud (normal) rock band & bought the MB200 as a backup but it just didn't have enough power (started to distort when pushed near/to the max) then bought a TC Classic 450 but sold that as I was really disappointed (also with power) .. now have GK 700RB-II .. monsterous through my Barefaced Super 12 (4Ohm) ... absolutely love it but realise it might be a bit to big/heavy for your purpose which though you haven't stated looks like it might be 'quieter' gigs but you also might need a bit more clean headroom .. so my advise would be try before you buy (through your own cab & in a real gig scenario if possible) I wish I could've done with the 1st two amps as it would've a lot of time & money .. try find a 7 day money back option etc .. hope any of this helps

Si

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1321884261' post='1444012']
Thanks for the advice, this does help. I am also wondering about speaker hookup. My Schroeder is an 8-ohm cab; the MB200 is 4 ohms. What does this mean in terms of wattage/sound if I run my speaker out of it?

tg.
[/quote]
The 4-Ohm figure in the MB200 spec is it's [i]minimum[/i] impedance load to deliver the full 200w output - it will happily run an 8-Ohm load at 140w or so.

It means you can run a single 8-Ohm cab and get about 140w output, or two 8-Ohms cabs in parallel to get the full 200w output (shared, 100w equally between each cab) or a single 4-Ohm cab and 200w.

HTH,
Ian

PS BTW I have it's bigger brother, the MB500, for sale at the moment if you decide in a flash of madness that you need [b]moar powr![/b] :)

Thanks, Ian, since I'm in the States I'd better stick to non-trans-Atlantic purchases :-) And I think the 140 watts is going to be just right for my trio of piano, bass, and violin. We're amped, but volume isn't at the top of the list. I appreciate your breaking it down for me.

All best,

Ted

[quote name='tedgilley' timestamp='1321887777' post='1444058']
Thanks, Ian, since I'm in the States I'd better stick to non-trans-Atlantic purchases :-) And I think the 140 watts is going to be just right for my trio of piano, bass, and violin. We're amped, but volume isn't at the top of the list. I appreciate your breaking it down for me.

All best,

Ted
[/quote]
Oooops hehehe, yep, that's kinda obvious now I look at your profile etc. That'll teach me to skim-read the OP :)

Good luck!
Ian

I have been looking at these for a while but just bought a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 which being on the right side of the Atlantic could put one of those in your hands for the right price. I love Genz gear anyway but the extra 100 watts overall and 175 watts into your existing cab could be a better bang for your buck?, both amps will fit in your gig bag so there are no issues on that score :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321896541' post='1444185']
I have been looking at these for a while but just bought a Genz-Benz Shuttle 3.0 which being on the right side of the Atlantic could put one of those in your hands for the right price. I love Genz gear anyway but the extra 100 watts overall and 175 watts into your existing cab could be a better bang for your buck?, both amps will fit in your gig bag so there are no issues on that score :)
[/quote]

Thanks, Stingray